ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: new set up 55 gallon

Registered Member

Lightbulb new set up 55 gallon

Hi everyone, I am a new member here. I know I will get much feedback here and I hope that will help me to have my fish thrive.

I recently set up a new tank (with unorthodox stocking):

55 Gallon

Stocking:
    6 large neons (some have been eaten by discuss now)
    5 red fin tetra (Colombian tetra)
    6 odessa barbs
    2 large angelfish
    2 german rams
    2 red pigeon blood juvenile discuss
    1 "albino" pigeon blood juvenile discuss (not sure exactly what this guy/girl is)
    1 pleco

Filtration:
    306 Fluval canister filter + fluval powerhead

Maintenance: Weekly 50-60% water change.
    pH 6.8
    Temp is 84 f
    Total alk is 120
    NO2 is 0
    NO3 goes from 0 to 20 as week progresses
    other parameters are usually low/0
    O2 I have no idea- I have cabomba plant, 1 large amazon sword and Staurogyne repens

My discuss did develop a zit like pimple beside lower mouth so I treated whole tank with broad treatment and went away on its own.

Pictures:
    album pictures: http://s11.photobucket.com/user/cikl...how/new%20tank

Please share your thoughts
    Last edited by Fishrfood; 11-05-2017 at 09:09 PM.

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: new set up 55 gallon

Hi,it looks nice but a little over stocked with the 3 discus added to what was already in there.In all likely hood you'll run into some issues if you don't up your WC's to daily along with substrate cleaning.The brand of substrate your using might need to come out of a discus tank.That's where the zits are coming from(unclean water and substrate).So,some issues have already started.That's the first time I've seen red rosy barbs with discus,not sure if they'd make good tank mates.Only 3 discus = more issues with aggression.Why did you treat your tank and what with and how long??A big water change would have gotten rid of the pimple,perhaps caused by a harmless bacteria getting under a scale.Read some of the stickies for beginners,it will help.Hope thing work out well.Good luck.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

you got some nice PBs with minimal peppering in spite of black substrate..I think the tank will look great if you manage to keep everyone happy and healthy. good luck.

Real Name
    Mervin

I meant odessa barbs not rosy barbs.They do look like nice discus.

Registered Member

Thanks guys

I am happy with the tank yes but I have been fearful of the stocking. I am religiously cleaning the filter media and doing weekly water changes(larger ones)

As blue lagoon stated yes problems may arise. Actually for the first two weeks no aggression has appeared between the discuss but now today I saw some more aggression coming from one discuss against the other two. I will keep monitoring because if the aggression persists I will have to sell my discuss most likely and not be able to keep discuss. I definitely cannot afford to do daily water changes being the main reason. But if it is to the point where it only happens when I feed them then I will keep them.

The odessa barbs pose no problems, they stay away from the discuss because they are afraid of them. I do clean my substrate blue lagoon, but not to a big depth. I clean just slightly the top 1 cm of the substrate and in between plants. I will post the status in two weeks from now and check on things. The substrate is some old natural rock and then half of it is the black soil type for planted aquariums.

Thanks for comments

Registered Member

I forgot a question:

If we assume things go fine with no aggression problems and maybe I remove some of the other fish, can the 3 discuss grow without being stunted in this 55 gallon?

Real Name
    Ralph

I think seeing that they are pretty well fully colored you may only see very little growth. It will be difficult to maintain water quality needed with all that gravel and only changing water 30% weekly. Over-all, I like your set-up but as you mentioned above if w/c will be a challenge you may have considered full grown adults or alter your tanks furniture to allow for easier maintenance.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Registered Member

Hey there,

I do 50% water changes weekly now. I never really considered buying adults. how many adults could fit into this 55 gallon if I remove the driftwood and remove the red fin tetras and odessa barbs? (the neons I can leave in because they would become food for the discuss) hypothetically speaking