AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Help! Purchasing Established 5 foot tank - with 5 Discus!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    AJ

Default Help! Purchasing Established 5 foot tank - with 5 Discus!

Ok... so i have been keeping fish for some time... but since moving into new house have only had a nano tank (wasn't allowed to get a bigger tank until house renovations done) but have been on the prowl for a decent sized one. So I found a five foot tank I like but was a bit gob smackwd that it will cone with 5 discuss at no extra cost. So my question is how best to get the move done.

Car trip will be about 25 mins. As per ad "It is white, 5ft wide, holds 360 litres. Currently homes 2 extra large Discus, 2 large Discus, 1 smaller Discus, 12 year old Featherfin catfish, 12 year old Pictus catfish, a bristlenose and a few Cory's. Eheim external filter, 2 Eheim heaters, Otto internal filter, digital temp thermometer"

So how best to make this move happen!

Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: Help! Purchasing Established 5 foot tank - with 5 Discus!

Get a large cooler. 25 minute drive is nothing. Some would even use 5G buckets to transport the fish that short of a distance. I use a large styrofoam cooler to transport angels for sale across town and I use an air pump plugged into the cigarette lighter.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    AJ

What about filter medium etc ... any concerns there? Or just make sure cannister is full.... and fill wuth my own treated water?

Unless you're really hot to do this I would go look, and take pics of the Discus. I'd hate to see you gifted with junk. Who knows what size this guy considers to be extra large? Could be a 4" football shaped Discus. Just be careful.

Transporting is easy if you have a truck or a hatchback. I prefer 3 1/2 gallon buckets with a lid. Fill them 2/3 with water and 1/3 with normal air and put on the lid. The surface agitation alone will provide more dissolved oxygen for the fish. Have water at home that is declorniated, and well aged that you can pour into the tank once you have it set up. Ask the guy what the temp of his water is and match your reserved water close to the same temp of the seller's water.

GOOD LUCK! This could be a great deal, or an experience you will come to regret.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Unless you're really hot to do this I would go look, and take pics of the Discus. I'd hate to see you gifted with junk. Who knows what size this guy considers to be extra large? Could be a 4" football shaped Discus. Just be careful.

Transporting is easy if you have a truck or a hatchback. I prefer 3 1/2 gallon buckets with a lid. Fill them 2/3 with water and 1/3 with normal air and put on the lid. The surface agitation alone will provide more dissolved oxygen for the fish. Have water at home that is declorniated, and well aged that you can pour into the tank once you have it set up. Ask the guy what the temp of his water is and match your reserved water close to the same temp of the seller's water.

GOOD LUCK! This could be a great deal, or an experience you will come to regret.
    +1

Worst case is you have yourself a tank to start fresh with some quality discus
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Filip

Ask for pictures on discus first before you take them.Try to find out if they are in good health and all eating well .

About the half hour transport don't worry at all , they'll handle that just fine . Put them along with the rest of the fish in 2-3 separare 5 gallon containers and theyll be good to go. Treat the filter material the same way as your fish and pit them in a bag of water . Rinse them thoroughly in the same water before you start the filter again , and put new aged water in the tank .
    Good luck .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    AJ

Thank you! Hope it is the former!