AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blue Scorpion Project

Default Re: Blue Scorpion Project

Quote Originally Posted by Rosskeegan24 View Post
    Oils from machinery usually contain heavy metals in high concentrates, so that was the main thing i was concerned about.

However i washed out the pump fully and made sure there was no more oil left inside it, did a 70% water change and everything seemed fine, no film or bubbles.

The discus are starting to eat much better now, im sticking to frozen cubes of brine shrimp before i do my water change and tetra discus pellets in the evening.

Everything is running smoothly now and it only takes me 6 minutes to do a 75% water change now which is great.

Thank you to everyone that has offered advice so far especially ryan and phil !
    -Ross
    Good to hear. That's the key is making your wcs as painless as possible. If it's less of a chore it's easier to keep up with. Keep up with in routine and you should see nice results.

Not thing I am very glad I did was take monthly or even weekly pics of your fish for reference
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Phil

Glad to hear you got things under control. That would have been a real shotty way to loose some nice fish!!

Just goes to show just how tricky this hobby can be. You think you have it all covered and boom.

Never hesitate to ask a question here. Or get a solid group of fishy friends so you can text at will. God knows I annoy my fish buds w all my drama but hey what are friends for !!! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Glad to hear you got things under control. That would have been a real shotty way to loose some nice fish!!

Just goes to show just how tricky this hobby can be. You think you have it all covered and boom.

Never hesitate to ask a question here. Or get a solid group of fishy friends so you can text at will. God knows I annoy my fish buds w all my drama but hey what are friends for !!! Lol
    Ain't that the truth babygirl

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ross keegan

Bad news today unfortunatly, i noticed it yesterday and when i woke up this morning it hadnt changed, one (possibly 2) of the discus is turning dark in colour, very dark, it is fairly constant, other than that it has no other symptoms that i can see of, it is still swimming fine and eating healthily. The poop that collects at the bottom of the tank before i siphon it out looks fine, it is dark and solid.
    Without jumping to conclusions i think it may be parasites, and if it is i would like to treat the whole tank for them as they all came in in one batch.
    I have been keeping up with my 60-75% water changes daily feeding one cube of brine shrimp and siphoning out the leftovers(not much) .

I wanted to post it here first before i posted it in the emergency room section as people who are following along with the thread know whats going on in the tank.

I have just done a waterchange so i will test the water in the morning and let you guys know what the parameters are.

If anyone has any advice or questions about the discus i would be more than happy to hear/ answer them.

Here are some pictures of the affected fish.image.jpeg image.jpeg

Real Name
    Phil

What is the current water change regiment.

Did you remove all the carbon and whatever else you added after the oil mishap? Any white poop clamped fins? Do you notice the fish getting bullied or hiding ? You are aging your water correct ?

Bad news today unfortunatly, i noticed it yesterday and when i woke up this morning it hadnt changed, one (possibly 2) of the discus is turning dark in colour, very dark, it is fairly constant, other than that it has no other symptoms that i can see of, it is still swimming fine and eating healthily. The poop that collects at the bottom of the tank before i siphon it out looks fine, it is dark and solid.
    Without jumping to conclusions i think it may be parasites, and if it is i would like to treat the whole tank for them as they all came in in one batch.
    I have been keeping up with my 60-75% water changes daily feeding one cube of brine shrimp and siphoning out the leftovers(not much) .

I wanted to post it here first before i posted it in the emergency room section as people who are following along with the thread know whats going on in the tank.

I have just done a waterchange so i will test the water in the morning and let you guys know what the parameters are.

If anyone has any advice or questions about the discus i would be more than happy to hear/ answer them.

Here are some pictures of the affected fish.image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Do you have more info on exactly where they came from and how they got there? Direct from Thailand to your LFS? Have you seen other more mature fish from this source ?

I know here in the US the quality importers here put their new arrivals through a qt process including medicating and deworming etc. Well I know at least Kenny does and I'm sure others do as well. That way they can be sure you receive healthy fish.

Also here in the US LFS often receive lesser quality fish and could potentially be ill or have compromised immune systems.

You may need to run through a full process to properly qt, deworm etc. Hopefully some of the more seasoned members can help you through that or maybe I'm way off here. Just throwing our ideas

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ross keegan

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    What is the current water change regiment.

Did you remove all the carbon and whatever else you added after the oil mishap? Any white poop clamped fins? Do you notice the fish getting bullied or hiding ? You are aging your water correct ?
    I currently do 75-80% daily
    The carbon is in a small filter, ill replace it with new carbon when i get home.
    No clamped fins, poop looks normal, dark and solid.
    The fish is acting aggresivly
    Thinking its parasites/worms since i got it staright from the supplier with no quarantine

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ross keegan

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Do you have more info on exactly where they came from and how they got there? Direct from Thailand to your LFS? Have you seen other more mature fish from this source ?

I know here in the US the quality importers here put their new arrivals through a qt process including medicating and deworming etc. Well I know at least Kenny does and I'm sure others do as well. That way they can be sure you receive healthy fish.

Also here in the US LFS often receive lesser quality fish and could potentially be ill or have compromised immune systems.

You may need to run through a full process to properly qt, deworm etc. Hopefully some of the more seasoned members can help you through that or maybe I'm way off here. Just throwing our ideas
    Thanks, im researching what medications to use and what importers use to fully quarantine their fish; dewormers, other medication. Thanks for the advice ! Ill see if i can contact any importers to see what they use.

Real Name
    Phil

I would not use carbon at all and keep up with your daily water changes. You could find or use a dewormer if you believe or know they were not. You would need to use a mixture of methods to get all worms which I learned myself, there isn't really an all in one.

Have you tried something simple like salt?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ross keegan

UPDATE
    I was watching the discus a few minutes ago and 2 of them had seizures 30 seconds apart, thrashing around in the tank and the floating lifelessly in the tank for 10-15 seconds before slowly coming around.
    Im thinking faulty heater/electrical current in the water ?
    It was a superfish 300 watt heater
    Luckily i have a spare jewel 200 watt heater i can throw in.
    Could this be the cause of the discus turning black ?
    -Ross

Real Name
    Phil

It is totally poissible, switch them and see asap!!

UPDATE
    I was watching the discus a few minutes ago and 2 of them had seizures 30 seconds apart, thrashing around in the tank and the floating lifelessly in the tank for 10-15 seconds before slowly coming around.
    Im thinking faulty heater/electrical current in the water ?
    It was a superfish 300 watt heater
    Luckily i have a spare jewel 200 watt heater i can throw in.
    Could this be the cause of the discus turning black ?
    -Ross
    Turning dark is due to stress. Could be anything. Best you could do is start ruling things out

Real Name
    Joseph Paul Heckel

Are you still working on the scorpions? Those fish ought to be nice sized by now at roughly 18 months old now.......
    Joseph.Paul.Heckel@gmail.com
    www.linkedin.com/in/joeheckel
    479-318-7997

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12