ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: SAFE Water Conditioner

Real Name
    Mike

Default SAFE Water Conditioner

Just bought the Kilo bottle. Not clear on how much to add for smaller tanks. 75g? 55g? 20g? OMG, make sure you open that bottle outside!! I thought prime smelled bad.......

Registered Member

Default Re: SAFE Water Conditioner

1/4 teaspoon for 75 then eyeball less for smaller tanks. I put just enough that i used in a jelly sized mason jar. Once opened it seemed to permeate that plastic container.

1/4 tsp is for 300 gallons.
    Over 50 years in fish and it still feels brand new!! Woodduck

Registered Member

Use 1.25 g (1/4 tsp.) for every 1,250 L (300 US gallons) as needed to reduce chlorine and chloramine or use 1.25 g (1/4 tsp.) for every 300 L (75 US gallons) for ammonia. For precise dosing, use the Seachem Digital Spoon Scale.

May be added to aquarium directly, but better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume. For exceptionally high chloramine concentrations, a double dose may be used safely. To detoxify nitrite and nitrate in an emergency, up to 4 times normal dose may be used. If temperature is > 30 °C (86 °F) and chlorine or ammonia levels are low, use a half dose.

Straight off seachem site.

I used the 1/4 teaspoon for my 75's never a problem if you would like to use a little less it's really not a problem.

My email to seachem for clarification their response was 1/4 teaspoon or a smidgen less.

Silver Member

This is from a post i had up last year. i hope this helps

(http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...age&highlight=.. this is seachem's response.

From Seacehm :

Seachem Support 10256 (Seachem Laboratories)
    Mar 7, 11:29

Hello Jim,

Thank you for your email. You are correct - the recommended dose of Safe for 50 gallons of water is 1/24 of a tsp. This dose will remove about 1 mg/L chloramine and 1.4 mg/L chlorine, so to achieve the exact same chlorine and chloramine dechlorination rate as the standard dose of Prime, you will want to use around 3x this dose (1/8 tsp). Essentially, Prime is recommended to be dosed at a level which can dechlorinate pool water (the highest chlorine level recommend for any water source), while Safe is recommended to be dosed at a level which will will dechlorinate average tap water. Due to how concentrated it is (very easy to overdose) we generally recommend looking up your local water report and dosing Safe according to the levels of chlorine and chloramine in your source water.

Thank you,

Seachem Support

Buy a mini-measuring spoon set like this: https://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Stainl.../dp/B0009X1P9S

The labels are kind of weird, but drop (1/64 tsp) = 20 gal, smidgen (1/32 tsp) = 40 gal and pinch (1/16 tsp) = 75 gal. This is enough for the 2 ppm chlorine AZ tap water has, but you may need more if your chlorine/chloramine concentration is higher.

Real Name
    Mike

Thanks. Is it dosed for the amount of new water coming in or the full tank volume?

Seachem recommends full tank volume.

Real Name
    Mike

cool

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by White Worm View Post
    Thanks. Is it dosed for the amount of new water coming in or the full tank volume?
    If dosed in the aging barrel right prior WC dose only for the amount of water in the aging barrel , if dosed straight in the tank, dose for the whole tank volume meaning Old tank water + new fresh water volume .
    I personally dose it straight in the tank prior refilling using the dose for full tank volume .