ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chloramine Test

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ryan

Default Re: Chloramine Test

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Ammonia test is a good method. I have chloramine and run a total chlorine test on each batch of water. I've had to add more Prime a fair number of times even though the first dose was an overdose.
    I tested my tap water today with the API kit. No ammonia shows. I will try the total/free clorine test also when i get my hands on it. Can anyone confirm that i didnt kill them with the Meth Blue solution? 1 tsp in 2 gallons of water for 10 minutes..
    thanks

Real Name
    Mervin

You should wait about 30 minutes after conditioners before using MB.Use 1-2 drops per gallon not teaspoons.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by guggas View Post
    I tested my tap water today with the API kit. No ammonia shows. I will try the total/free clorine test also when i get my hands on it. Can anyone confirm that i didnt kill them with the Meth Blue solution? 1 tsp in 2 gallons of water for 10 minutes..
    thanks
    The 10-minute dip (yours was at 15 ppm MB) along with a sudden change in one or more water parameters might have been too much of a shock. I've noticed tetras are easily traumatized.

My bottle of MB says 50 ppm for no more than 10 seconds. I have seen recommended dips of 6 ppm for 30 minutes. I haven't been able to find much toxicity info on short duration dips of MB. The nearest thing I found was the LC50 (the concentration that kills 50% of the fish) for striped bass fingerlings was 15 ppm for 24 hours.

With tetras it would be safer to go with the long term bath at 3 ppm.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by DJW View Post
    The 10-minute dip (yours was at 15 ppm MB) along with a sudden change in one or more water parameters might have been too much of a shock. I've noticed tetras are easily traumatized.

My bottle of MB says 50 ppm for no more than 10 seconds. I have seen recommended dips of 6 ppm for 30 minutes. I haven't been able to find much toxicity info on short duration dips of MB. The nearest thing I found was the LC50 (the concentration that kills 50% of the fish) for striped bass fingerlings was 15 ppm for 24 hours.

With tetras it would be safer to go with the long term bath at 3 ppm.
    Hey thanks for the info, I guess I just put them through too much. Having them for so long and them being so healthy, I guess I got too comfortable and thought they were bullet proof. They were a good batch from snookn21, I guess this will give me an excuse to order more fish.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Charles

I noticed you live in the Woodlands. I live in Houston, but am pretty sure everyone in the area has chloraminated water. That said, our water is crap even with Prime and aging. Save yourself the headache and buy a carbon bottle at ADG.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12