ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 21 of 53 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eddie

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Quote Originally Posted by gators111 View Post
    I've seen that too. However, until the BCB gives an indication of establishing itself, I'm not risking a recycle. Been there and got that t-shirt when I upgraded to this tank. The more I've researched, the more I think Eddie was right. Low ph is slowing down this process and even if it establishes itself, it may not be fast enough to have any appreciable impact on the nitrogen cycle.
    Maybe carbon dosing will work with BCBs at that ph? Just researching around i found that Dechloromonas denitrificans and Hydrogenophaga caeni work in fludized bed reactors but need significant ethanol food at that ph.

Registered Member

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Shime, you are probably right. But now I'm starting to get away from the whole point of the BCB's, which was to make things easier by cutting down on WC's. I guess I'll just stick to my tried and true method of low ph and 50% weekly WC's. Maybe it'll just take more time to establish or maybe an anaerobic colony will establish itself in there. Who knows. Worst case scenario, it just serves as another bio-filter medium. If something changes, I'll post it.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cesar A. Castillo

I have some encouraging results. I have not done a water change since the 12th of March. My Nitrates test kit (API) reads at 10ppm. THis is the same as it was 10 mins after the last water change!

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Hey people, anyone using this Filtration system, how about some update info on how things are going. Just out of curiosity want to see how folks are having any successful results. Thanks for any inputs....

Registered Member

Saw these wash bags at container store today and bought 2. These would fit nicely in my sump and has built-in mesh lining. I'll be setting it up tomorrow and hopefully this is large enough for my tank.

https://www.containerstore.com/s/whi...11005603&q=bra

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    If practice proves that a very low pH is an obstacle to this kind of filtration it would be a disappointment but from a logical point of view there must be a different explanation than "it does not attract ammonium" because Novak specifies that the negati e charges in the litter attract the positively charged ammonium molecules, and the lower the pH the more ammonia will be in the positively charged form. On the other hand it may be similar to establishing conventional nitrifying bacteria, you have to start at a reasonably close to neutral pH then slowly lower it
    Thank you very much for engaging with this.
    Cheers
    Tolga

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Tank is all good. I didn't do any water tests today or plan on this week, letting things ride, doing 50% water once weekly now. Also just change out the Pinky filter pad weekly. No longer an slave to my tank and really enjoying looking at all the fish in this tank, feed 2 x daily and all that's needed. Please view this video to see what I'm talking about guys: https://youtu.be/FZ8ycpzusf0

Real Name
    Patty

I’m wondering how the BCB’s are working out for canister filters? Also saw Luke’s video on BCB and I’m wondering if you used that with an algae scrubber? I been reading these posts and I’m going to use on my 125 gal with sump, but I have an empty 75 gal that I’d like to do a planted tropical tank using this method. I read that the gases wouldn’t be able to dissipate in an anaerobic system like the canisters. Could anybody give an update on the canisters?

So I’m five weeks in and have seen no improvements as of yet. I’m still doing 50% changes at least every other day sometimes every day with one massive one on the weekend. Nitrates are still running way too high if I skip just one change between 10 and 20 ppm. I know I still have a few weeks to go to be in long enough but shouldn’t there be some sign of life by now? Patience is not one of my virtues. But just making sure this is normal. It looked as if many were getting positive results earlier than this. Second guessing my ratio of Laterite and the size and number of my baskets. Need to go back to everyday changes at this point to avoid illnesses.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Oswaldo

Good day.

I'm really happy with this system! 3 + months and go on... I'm back with my DIY food and my discus are really happy.

The Nitrates aren't 0 but they stay in the 10 ppm range.

Registered Member Shaun's Discus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Shaun Stoddart

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    So I’m five weeks in and have seen no improvements as of yet. I’m still doing 50% changes at least every other day sometimes every day with one massive one on the weekend. Nitrates are still running way too high if I skip just one change between 10 and 20 ppm. I know I still have a few weeks to go to be in long enough but shouldn’t there be some sign of life by now? Patience is not one of my virtues. But just making sure this is normal. It looked as if many were getting positive results earlier than this. Second guessing my ratio of Laterite and the size and number of my baskets. Need to go back to everyday changes at this point to avoid illnesses.
    By now you should be seeing a huge reduction in algae and diatoms, if you had any. What size is your tank?? What is the stocking lvl? From reading your post, on the outside it would appear your are overstocked or simply overfeeding. For 6 adult discus, I would recommend I basket per fish at a size of 4x4x6 high. You should be seeing around 5ppm a week.

Registered Member Shaun's Discus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Shaun Stoddart

Will be posting a new YT update video soon guys with the latest on whats going on in my tanks. Also just want to mention for anyone who is starting out and wanting to raise small discus, the AFS is probably not the best idea and the tried and true method of fresh water bombardment daily is still the best option.

Real Name
    Nicola

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun's Discus View Post
    Will be posting a new YT update video soon guys with the latest on whats going on in my tanks. Also just want to mention for anyone who is starting out and wanting to raise small discus, the AFS is probably not the best idea and the tried and true method of fresh water bombardment daily is still the best option.
    Shaun definitely a change with new water rich in microelements is better than ever not AFS advice if you notice a lowering of N03?

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun's Discus View Post
    Also just want to mention for anyone who is starting out and wanting to raise small discus, the AFS is probably not the best idea and the tried and true method of fresh water bombardment daily is still the best option.
    Can I ask if there is any actual comparative data to this regard? Not that I disaggree, quite the opposite I keep doing big daily water changes to my growing discus. My plan is to keep trialling the cenobiotic baskets in the outdoor ponds for another year or so and if satisfactory apply it to the tank housing discus that by then should have attained most of their growth. Just there appears to be a fair bit of interest over here in Italy in the anoxic system and if it could be applied to discus still in the growth phase (as most folk over here purchase discus in the 2-3" bracket and are not keen on big daily water changes). Thanks

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert Winchcomb

Hi,

I am trialling the BSB filtration method and plan to replace one of my Eheim Canister filters media with a BSB Cylinder.

I created a plastic mesh cylinder to fit inside the Eheim 350 (2217) and allow most the water flow to bypass the cylinder and not be forced through it.

To make sure my kitty litter would not go to mush in the water I have placed the tank so I can monitor it closely, I printed a stand to allow water flow all around the basket.

So far so good and in a few weeks I plan t add this into the Eheim.

Now only 2 weeks in and coincidence or not I was previously seeing algea on the glass and substrate surface. On the same day I added the BSB basket I also increased the tank temperature 0.5C to 28.5C, increased the lighting height by 1" and added a 4th Discus (I plan to add 2 to 3 more). So far, no more algea... I hate doing multiple things at once to the tank and timing gave me no option, since the tank has reacted the right way and my fish seem happy all is good.

Will keep you posted when I put it into the Eheim and how the fish go.

Regards,
    Rob

IMG_002.jpg IMG_001.jpg BSB Cylinder Holder .jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 21 of 53 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast