Kenny's Discus     Golden State Discus

Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36444546

Thread: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Registered Member
    iTrader

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Wow Mogens thats some commitment to a cause !!!!!
    Im really looking forward to this thread moving forward with your aquarium!

I bet there will be great things to come !

Mick 👍

Registered Member
    iTrader

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Another discover.
    Sepiolite start turning in Talc and quartz above 325C so probably it would be advisable not to overcame that temperature and stay at 200-250C
    Last edited by valp; 11-27-2018 at 07:02 AM.

Registered Member
    iTrader

Bad news for the burned clay I fear......
    Reported from another paper:
    "the heat treatment up to 500 C of sepiolite implies the loss of the four water molecules coordinated to magnesium two of them being lost at around 300 C and the second two at 500 C. The loss of water produces structural modifications in sepiolite, causing the channels to collapse to a folded structure, the microporosity now being inaccessible to nitrogen and carbon dioxide molecules. The loss of microporosity is responsible for the initial decrease observed in the volume of micropores of the pellet with increasing heat treatment"

Ok carbon dioxide molecules are 232 pm (picometers) and N2 are 300 pm. NH4+ are 175 pm they could enter in the microporosity ? I Do not know.
    Mogens, keep control on Nh3, Nh4+ NO2- and NO3-
    Maybe even if the NH4+ ions cannot enter microporosity they can be attracted on the surface of the sepiolite granules and the system should work also with burned clay.

Moreover
    "On the other hand, the experimental results show that the pellets resulting from the heat treatment at 500 C are consistent when kept under water: this is not the case for pellets dried at 110 C or heat treated at 300 C."
    Last edited by valp; 11-27-2018 at 06:59 AM.

Registered Member
    iTrader
    Real Name
    Mogens Bang Olesen

Hi
    I am buying 4x20 ltr Sanicat Classic made of Sepiolite. And waiting to here if the test you are making is positive.
    I am continuing my test with the Kitty Litter baskets in my sump, It looks good but it seems that ppm no3 does not get under 10 ppm.
    Mogens

Registered Member
    iTrader

Quote Originally Posted by Mogens Bang Olesen View Post
    Hi
    I am buying 4x20 ltr Sanicat Classic made of Sepiolite. And waiting to here if the test you are making is positive.
    I am continuing my test with the Kitty Litter baskets in my sump, It looks good but it seems that ppm no3 does not get under 10 ppm.
    Mogens
    I started today making bcb's with Sanicat classic kitty litter after a month of water immersion for testing purpose. Kitty litter aspect after this treatment is mainly granular, but in my opinion the thin fraction of the litter (dust, silt and sand) is remarkable. So I decided to wash and sift litter to get rid of the most fined particles and improve the overall permeability. I think that at least one third of the kitty litter was washed away, but the remainder looks granular.
    So I do not think I will burn kitty litter in my wood pizza oven to improve stability. To get optimal results a complex procedure is required involving the use of acids and subsequent heating at 250-300*C. Maybe I will try this more complex procedure in the future.
    Moreover since I didn't recovered enough kitty kitter to make 4 bcb's of 28x28x18cm, I will add also a few kg of zeolite, which has the same function of kitty litter.
    Last edited by valp; 12-09-2018 at 05:26 PM.

Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36444546