ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 41 of 53 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Real Name
    Patty

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Well, it’s not pH. Thanks to those who tested their water. I added a new pump to see if it’s a flow problem and have also questioned the size of my baskets too. I had to take the baskets out to to put the small pump in. There’s a grate in between the baskets to increase water flow through them. I did have to take them out of the water. The grate being too wide to fit the darn pump in.
    Thank you Rob and Eddie for your suggestions. In a couple weeks, I’ll have some time off work and I will do the basket bucket test if my nitrates are still at 10. I just hope I’m not starting over by having to take those bcb’s out of the sump. With all the ideas and help here, I’ll hopefully get there soon. Thanks to everyone for your help. You people are the absolute best!
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Zac

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

[QUOTE=Luke in Phoenix;1292949]
    Quote Originally Posted by shime View Post

Great idea! This could actually be used to test the filtration capacity of any basket. Or even a canister BCB.
    At one point Dr Kevin Novak had posted Dr Franko's results of testing the baskets against other medias in a 5g bucket.

Registered Member Luke in Phoenix's Avatar
    Real Name
    Luke

Do you have a link to that?

Real Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    I just hope I’m not starting over by having to take those bcb’s out of the sump.
    Patty
    I've taken mine out twice for reconfiguring sump and they were fine. As the litter is so absorbent the moisture remains long enough to keep the bacteria alive for hours, possibly a full 24, if cool enough in the room

Real Name
    Patty

Thanks Rob, one less thing to worry about!
    Patty

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eddie

Special kitty back @ walmart if anyone's looking.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Special-K...acity/10293705

my update: i am still running the bcbs, but haven't seen that the nitrates have dropped noticeably. certainly nothing that has allowed me to slow down on water changes.

Real Name
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    my update: i am still running the bcbs, but haven't seen that the nitrates have dropped noticeably. certainly nothing that has allowed me to slow down on water changes.
    Sorry You’re not having any luck either. Are we the only ones not reaping the benefits of bcbs?
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Sorry You’re not having any luck either. Are we the only ones not reaping the benefits of bcbs?
    Patty
    maybe, be then others who have no luck might not bother to post. seems kinda hard to screw up too.
    if nothing else, i have more surface area for bacteria now

Real Name
    Rob

farebox, aka Roland had no luck the first time he tried, but I'm pretty sure he's having success now. Hopefully he can share what he did first time v's what he did to make it work...?

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Hey guys what I did differently the second time around: 1) Rinsed the Special Cat Litter in an food strainer to get all dust and loose stuff out. 2) Lined BCB with weed blocker. It contained the litter, no loose stuff got out. 3) Made an bottom platform using 3/4” pvc and eggcrate to place the BCB’ s on. 4) When making the baskets made an center core using an python intake tube filled with Seachem Flourite Red, then added the cat litter around the tube. Six total BCB’s in an 20 gallon long tank. Made the Pre Filtration using an plastic food storage container with holes drilled in the bottom. Using Pinky Filter media only. Running since 5/18/18 and last NO3 test was 2ppm an week after last 50% WC. So far all is good! video: https://youtu.be/jyur8ILyejA
    Last edited by farebox; 08-06-2018 at 07:09 PM.

Real Name
    Luke

If it helps those looking for better results;

My system seemed to perform better when I slowed the water in the canister BCB, cut the pre-filtration media in half (sponges) and dosed a little Iron (I think this helps the BCB bacteria and the algae scrubber) after water changes. Each system is so different the water flow rate could be fine tuned for each tank. I think the Canister BCB's may also need a little more time to mature?

My nitrate was around 5 ppm but I measured today and it's between 0.2 - 0.7 ppm Last water change was 3 weeks ago. Tank is fed about 4 cubes / day.

Cheers, Luke

Real Name
    Luke

First Anoxic filtration BCB discus fry?

These are from a batch of about 90 fry. I kept a random 4 plus the "X" fish my wife insisted on keeping. haha
    I gave away the others when they reached 1.5-2 inches. Nitrates were starting to rise above 10-15 ppm even with the BCB and other filtration.

Not bad for a single 100% water change their entire 3 month life huh? And a week long vacation.

(don't mind the algae on the back of the tanks, I just let it grow and figure it adds a small amount of filtration)

Parents:
    parents snip.jpg

2 months old:
    2 months snip.jpg

Almost 3 months old:
    almost 3 snip.jpg

Real Name
    Zac

Quote Originally Posted by Luke in Phoenix View Post
    Do you have a link to that?
    Used to be on Dr kevin Novaks blog, can't seem to find it at the moment. Don't know if its been removed or if I'm just looking in the wrong place, probably the latter option.

Real Name
    Zac

Still a way to go in terms of no water changes, are you using carbon on this tank?

Page 41 of 53 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast