ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 18 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Hi Jack... yeah probably not. I am really stuck for space until I can establish the new baskets so I can dump the other media. I have time tomorrow to try to figure out where else to put it. I have another in the return pump section. I tried to put in in the intake section but it doesn’t fit there either. I may have to move it into the main tank for a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    jenene, is that heater ok on the mesh bag?

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Thank you! I had seen one of the videos by Dr. Novak that said the Flourite Red was the only one to use. Good to see the chart. I’m good to go then with the regular Flourite. Glad I didn’t go through the hassle of trying to get the red.

Much appreciated!

Q
    Quote Originally Posted by Tindomul View Post
    Hi,

JackL posted this link some weeks ago. It shows that regular Fluorite is actually preferable because it contains the most iron out of all the other fluorite products.

http://www.seachem.com/downloads/cha...omposition.pdf

Registered Member

Great progress!

I had 1 new fresh basket in my sump for a week. I must be hallucinating or something to say my nitrate is lower and I have 3 spawning in that week lol. Adding a 2nd today, cant wait to get home ^__^. It is huge in there, 25cmx25x17 ... will slower remove the K1 and marine pure when thing catch up

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

I felt the same with my tank, just how amazing this filtration system is once it starts to mature. About 40 days with my baskets now and all my fish look and act different pre anoxic filtration. Also removed all means of bio media, just running four baskets. Loving my 125 gallon tank all over again....Just tested for Nitrate(NO3) after an 48 hr 50% water change, looks like between 10 - 5.0 ppm. Is that good or what?
    Last edited by farebox; 02-26-2018 at 11:49 AM.

Registered Member Luke in Phoenix's Avatar
    Real Name
    Luke

Quote Originally Posted by shime View Post
    Been a few weeks since my last update.
    been getting 2-5 nitrate readings. Only 1 water change a week.
    These 5 baskets are from my OCT set in my bcb farm

Love your discus! beautiful!

Real Name
    Luke

Quote Originally Posted by sayid View Post
    Hi Zac, I got some zeolite from woolworth and in the process of making my basckets ,i have two questions.
    1. Where do you get your laterite ? I have got some bentonite clay ,can i substitute that instead of laterite ?
    2. I am trying to have an above tank sump so i am restricted to small size basckets ,is there any limit on the size of the basckets?
    Thanks in advance.
    1. you can substitute flourite for the laterite. Just add a little more.
    2. There is no limit on the size of the baskets. Whatever fits, bigger is usually better.

Real Name
    Luke

Quote Originally Posted by HarryDk View Post
    what would be the ideal ratio for clay/laterite? should I just dig a hole in the clay and put laterite in? hmm,
    Yes, it has been suggested to keep the laterite (or other iron source) in the center. I used a ratio of 13% flourite / clay but you should be fine anywhere between 10-15%. It doesn't have to be exact from what I've read.

Registered Member Shaun's Discus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Shaun Stoddart

Quote Originally Posted by farebox View Post
    Hey Shaun from down under, how's your anoxic filtration system coming along these days? Sure would love to hear about your progression. My system is now about 40 days in and so far all is great. Having a little algae still growing on plant leaves, hope it clears up once the system matures more. Haven't tested the tank for nitrates lately, just letting things run. As long as my discus are doing fine, I'm happy camper.
    Hey Farebox, all good on my Discus tank. Only needing to really do a w/c once a week, abt 75%. Still need to do regular glass cleaning etc. I have a weekly No3 reading of 5ppm. Discus feeding twice a day. No measurable phosphates present. KH is still 1 to 2, GH stable at 5. What I find is the incredible stability the AFS creates in the system. I have the AFS running now on all my big tanks that have sumps. It definately has been a game changer.

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Thanks Shaun for the update, seems like we both are doing the same with our tanks, good to hear mate. Waiting to see your next U-tube video.....

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

Hi every one ;
    I came across this thread by accident and at first it did not interest a great deal since it only applied to people who have sumps and i have canister filters ,but as the thread went forward more people start examine the possibilities of in cooperating anoxic concept with canister filter . 20180226_131451_resized.jpg I had already bought and installed small sun sun filter helper about a year ago but it was full of seachem matrix so i emptied it ,went to k mart and bought a SS colander and with a bit of modification it went in the sun sun 20180226_131336_resized (2).jpg Next step was to sew a thin fabric in the shape of the SS colander but you can use a ladies tight instead.
    20180226_131751_resized.jpg Next was to fill the colander with cat litter and laterite . 20180226_134750_resized.jpg 20180226_135433_resized.jpg 20180226_140455_resized.jpg20180226_140415_resized.jpg Next i closed the mesh bag and put the colander in a bucket and left it for 10 minutes then shook it gently a few times P.S you don't need to wash it vigorously then put in the sun sun adjust the bottom tap so you get a small flow let say 1 liter per minute and you are done .20180226_140914_resized.jpg 20180226_141030_resized.jpg 20180226_141559_resized.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

20180226_141751_resized.jpg 20180226_142017_resized.jpg 20180226_153410_resized.jpg 20180226_142113_resized.jpg 20180226_153439_resized.jpg 20180226_153432_resized.jpg
    I just wanted to share this with you ,i have just commissioned it 3 days ago and have no ideas if it works or not but keep my fingers crossed .

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Sayid that's interesting, hope it will work for you, good luck. Here's an update on the progression of my system for my 125 gallon discus tank. Started the baskets on Jan.10, 2018. Check this video out: https://youtu.be/pAjC7aBACoo

Real Name
    Zac

Hey Sayid, glad you can join in on the experiments! My main concern would be that you may not have enough holes in your cylinder for it to be effective. But you can always try it and see, if it doesn't work well you can always pull it apart and drill more holes. Hope it goes well for you, as im sure it will.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

Quote Originally Posted by farebox View Post
    Sayid that's interesting, hope it will work for you, good luck. Here's an update on the progression of my system for my 125 gallon discus tank. Started the baskets on Jan.10, 2018. Check this video out: https://youtu.be/pAjC7aBACoo
    Lovely tank you have got Roland ,i also like the way you are using the plants in your overflow to reduce your nitrate .

Page 18 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast