ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 46 of 53 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Registered Member

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Another discover.
    Sepiolite start turning in Talc and quartz above 325°C so probably it would be advisable not to overcame that temperature and stay at 200-250°C
    Last edited by valp; 11-27-2018 at 07:02 AM.

Registered Member

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Bad news for the burned clay I fear......
    Reported from another paper:
    "the heat treatment up to 500 °C of sepiolite implies the loss of the four water molecules coordinated to magnesium two of them being lost at around 300 °C and the second two at 500 °C. The loss of water produces structural modifications in sepiolite, causing the channels to collapse to a folded structure, the microporosity now being inaccessible to nitrogen and carbon dioxide molecules. The loss of microporosity is responsible for the initial decrease observed in the volume of micropores of the pellet with increasing heat treatment"

Ok carbon dioxide molecules are 232 pm (picometers) and N2 are 300 pm. NH4+ are 175 pm they could enter in the microporosity ? I Do not know.
    Mogens, keep control on Nh3, Nh4+ NO2- and NO3-
    Maybe even if the NH4+ ions cannot enter microporosity they can be attracted on the surface of the sepiolite granules and the system should work also with burned clay.

Moreover
    "On the other hand, the experimental results show that the pellets resulting from the heat treatment at 500 °C are consistent when kept under water: this is not the case for pellets dried at 110 °C or heat treated at 300 °C."
    Last edited by valp; 11-27-2018 at 06:59 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mogens Bang Olesen

Hi
    I am buying 4x20 ltr Sanicat Classic made of Sepiolite. And waiting to here if the test you are making is positive.
    I am continuing my test with the Kitty Litter baskets in my sump, It looks good but it seems that ppm no3 does not get under 10 ppm.
    Mogens

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mogens Bang Olesen View Post
    Hi
    I am buying 4x20 ltr Sanicat Classic made of Sepiolite. And waiting to here if the test you are making is positive.
    I am continuing my test with the Kitty Litter baskets in my sump, It looks good but it seems that ppm no3 does not get under 10 ppm.
    Mogens
    I started today making bcb's with Sanicat classic kitty litter after a month of water immersion for testing purpose. Kitty litter aspect after this treatment is mainly granular, but in my opinion the thin fraction of the litter (dust, silt and sand) is remarkable. So I decided to wash and sift litter to get rid of the most fined particles and improve the overall permeability. I think that at least one third of the kitty litter was washed away, but the remainder looks granular.
    So I do not think I will burn kitty litter in my wood pizza oven to improve stability. To get optimal results a complex procedure is required involving the use of acids and subsequent heating at 250-300*C. Maybe I will try this more complex procedure in the future.
    Moreover since I didn't recovered enough kitty kitter to make 4 bcb's of 28x28x18cm, I will add also a few kg of zeolite, which has the same function of kitty litter.
    Last edited by valp; 12-09-2018 at 05:26 PM.

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Merry Christmas to all and happy discus keeping! https://youtu.be/siH9cF9B0AM

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eddie

Hi Guys!
    So its been little over a year ive had full anoxic systems in my tanks and it has held up great.
    Still using my old routine of only 1 water change a week. Depending on how much i feed nitrates range from 0-5ppm
    Still using the same setup with 5 bcb baskets on an overhead sump.
    Ive started to add supplementary bcb baskets in heavy populated tanks. These are made out of stainless steel beer filters that hang on the rim. They are 400 micron and all you gotta do is just pour kitty litter in with a 1" pvc in the center to give space for laterite, then just rinse, rinse and rinse. You can see one on the left of the tank in the video.

Description of tank in video.
    40 gallon breeder, 5 bcb baskets in an overhead sump. 1 beer filter bcb hanging on the left.
    15 3-4" growout discus
    temp 84
    beef heart is fed 4 times a day and the last feeding is live blackworms. This is for 6 days and fast on the 7th

Last edited by shime; 03-21-2019 at 04:36 PM.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Thank you for the update, video is showing as "unavailable" can you check it's settings
    My discus are not fat...just big fish-boned

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eddie

reposting video. Youtube is acting up.
    https://youtu.be/crk0J8IuJn8

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Much better, thanks
    My discus are not fat...just big fish-boned

i never noticed any benefit from mine, they are still in there, i plan to remove them soon to see if anything changes. e.g. nitrates climb

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eddie

Hi Guys/Girls!
    This pair had a recent spawning.
    They are in a 40g with full Anoxic BCB overhead sump. When the wrigglers got to free swimming i shut off the overhead sump and just put the bcbs in the tank. It filters fine and im still on a once a week water change even with the bbs all over the place this week. The bcbs are sectioned off to the left of the tank with a mesh divider and an air stone is placed near. I did it this way since the bcbs are black and didnt want to mess up attachment. I also vacuum the bottom religiously to keep uneaten bbs out which helps but in another week i believe i will have to change the water twice a week . Imo bcb> sponge in this situation as no bbs will end up in the bcb while the sponge will end up a mess and need to be cleaned out.

Last edited by shime; 05-01-2019 at 11:45 AM.

Registered Member Shaun's Discus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Shaun Stoddart

My tanks is still going strong. Weekly Nitrate readings are 10 to 15ppm. Water Change once a week. Introduced a new Discus I picked up from my local LFS. Now have a genuine breeding pair. In the throws of setting up a 40gallon for the 2 of them. Gonna try and get me some babies!

this is very interesting. Have read the whole thread and watched a number of youtube.

I have built a 250 gallon aquarium and have a trough sump set up for it just like the Youtube:
    My Aquarium Sump and Filter Upgrade DIY How To
    ScubaSteveAquatics

Im now debating if anoxic filtration is the way to go but unsure...
    Im planning on a community tank with 12 discus, tetras, a pleco or two and some corys. I can do 10X turnover on water volume

with that said I have some questions that would like your input on:

1 The plenum seems to be if you are going planted tank? Would it still be wise to use it if no plants? Does the risk of forming nasty stuff in the gravel/sand outweigh the benefit of additional anoxic performance?

2 Based on my casual read it strikes me that this is really best done all or nothing. The BCBs are really attracting the NH3 not NO3 so the typical filtration will out compete the BCBs if together (as I was hoping to have a tiered system of mechanical/bio media/ and then BCBs in the rubbermaid trashcan in the sump.). Is my understanding correct or no one really knows how they specifically interact

3 I could do one of 3 things setting this up....a huge volume of BCBs in the rubbermaid, the combo as described above in 2, or keep with the traditional filtration. What would you recommend? Is there an alternative Im missing?

definitely would like to minimize w/c but also don't want to spend months trying to cycle something only to switch to another method. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Noticed that someone mentioned Seachem Flourite black had more iron than the red. I asked Seachem which substrate had the most iron. This was their reply:

Thank you for your response. Flourite, Flourite Sand and Flourite Red are our substrates that have the highest iron mineral composition. All three have compositions that are slightly over 18,000. Flourite sand specifically has 18,500.
    https://seachem.com/flourite-sand.php
    Hope this helps!

Very interesting

Jeanne

Page 46 of 53 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast