AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 43 of 53 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Zack

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Just finished reading through this entire thread. Very interesting information.

I'm thinking I somehow have an AFS system and I'm not sure how I created it. Let me explain, I have a 180g aquarium that I had stocked with a pretty large bio-load of rainbowfish, congo tetras, rasboras, corydoras, plecos, etc. I was doing about 60-70% water changes every week on this set-up. For filtration I have 2 sunsun 404b's, 1 sunsun 403b, and 4 double sponge filters hooked to an air pump. My substrate is turface about 2-3" deep, which is a baked clay similar to kitty litter. Moderately planted tank. Whenever I would test my water with the API master kit before I was water changing (1 week), I was showing literally nothing as far as ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. When I would post in other fish keeping forums, people would always say, "that's not possible" or "you're doing something wrong". I tested with multiple kits, always the same results. I have eggcrate under my substrate to protect the glass from driftwood, rocks, ceramic caves, etc. I'm wondering if I have a make-shift plenum. I'm also running all my media baskets in my canisters with the BioHome media. I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar phenomenon? I recently switched over to discus, I have 8 discus ranging from 3-4". Feeding 3-4 times per day. And I still have 10 corydoras, 13 cardinal tetras, 4 harelquin rasboras, 6 BN plecos, and 20 guppys in the tank. I've been changing 60% of the water twice a week, but I just tested this AM, (3 days since last change), and getting no nitrates again. I'm contemplating waiting until I'd be at a week and seeing if I still have a zero reading, but I also don't want any of the fish to have adverse reactions.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jose Catala

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Great info from everyone. Thank you to all for putting all this information out there. I'm definitely going to try this method on my next tank.... (which I'd like to make a discus tank ). I currently have 11 planted tanks and anything to make the maintenance easier is welcomed. Has anyone heard of or Tried this stuff from Brightwell Aquatics? as a substitute for Laterite? I found it on Amazon.

Screenshot (2).jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eddie

I'm planning on setting up a few pairs tanks and got the that HOB breeder box and tested it on a 10 gallon.

The breeder box is from https://www.bigalspets.com/ista-hang...html?sku=80096
    I removed the air lift section and connected it to the powerhead(250 gph aquaneat on ebay). You will need a .5"width rubber/vinyl tubing and about 1-1.5" in length to connect the spraybar to the powerhead.

The baskets made from knitting canvas and connected together with zip ties. Its size is roughly 3x4x4 and 2 will fit on the box. I'm using Wallmart special kitty and flourite red. The kittyliter mix is stuffed in pantyhose to keep it all in. There is a baffle separating the sections that comes with the box. It is removable so you can just make 1 large box but the baffle will get better flow around the 2nd box.

note.
    I'm using already established kittylitter mix from my tanks that ive been growing.
    If you are going to use a larger water pump you are going to need to cut a section of plastic that restricts the flow back to the tank as its going to overflow from the pressure.

a couple of readings i did this weekend.
    9/8/18
    10:40pm 2ppm ammonia, 0 nitrates.

9/9/19
    3:00pm .25 ammonia, did not test for nitrates
    8:44pm 0 ammonia, somewhere between 0-2 nitrates on seachem test
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by shime; 09-09-2018 at 10:10 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Oswaldo

Does anyone knows what happened with the Doctor Kevin Novak?

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Sure would like to know too? Also any update info on all folks using the Anoxic Filtration System on their discus tanks sure would be appreciated. Mine being going since 5/18/18 for my 125 gallon tank.

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by shime View Post
    I'm planning on setting up a few pairs tanks and got the that HOB breeder box and tested it on a 10 gallon.

The breeder box is from https://www.bigalspets.com/ista-hang...html?sku=80096
    I removed the air lift section and connected it to the powerhead(250 gph aquaneat on ebay). You will need a .5"width rubber/vinyl tubing and about 1-1.5" in length to connect the spraybar to the powerhead.

The baskets made from knitting canvas and connected together with zip ties. Its size is roughly 3x4x4 and 2 will fit on the box. I'm using Wallmart special kitty and flourite red. The kittyliter mix is stuffed in pantyhose to keep it all in. There is a baffle separating the sections that comes with the box. It is removable so you can just make 1 large box but the baffle will get better flow around the 2nd box.

note.
    I'm using already established kittylitter mix from my tanks that ive been growing.
    If you are going to use a larger water pump you are going to need to cut a section of plastic that restricts the flow back to the tank as its going to overflow from the pressure.

a couple of readings i did this weekend.
    9/8/18
    10:40pm 2ppm ammonia, 0 nitrates.

9/9/19
    3:00pm .25 ammonia, did not test for nitrates
    8:44pm 0 ammonia, somewhere between 0-2 nitrates on seachem test
    Thanks a lot for posting this, Eddie. As I mentioned, I have this same breeder box sitting in a box somewhere, though when I got it, it came with a small powerhead, which I still have... I originally put a finnex light on it and tried to grow stem plants (wisteria) as a nitrogen sink. I remember getting a little leakage from where my pump connected to the plastic intake piece, which was one reason I took it off. (Also started growing algae.) Very helpful to see the images for how you set it up. Wouldn't hurt to add it to my 40 breeder. Will you use a prefilter sponge or floss on the powerhead?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by Tshethar View Post
    Thanks a lot for posting this, Eddie. As I mentioned, I have this same breeder box sitting in a box somewhere, though when I got it, it came with a small powerhead, which I still have... I originally put a finnex light on it and tried to grow stem plants (wisteria) as a nitrogen sink. I remember getting a little leakage from where my pump connected to the plastic intake piece, which was one reason I took it off. (Also started growing algae.) Very helpful to see the images for how you set it up. Wouldn't hurt to add it to my 40 breeder. Will you use a prefilter sponge or floss on the powerhead?
    The powerhead im using has an attachment for a prefilter sponge. I'm stuffing polyfil floss in there instead and switching it out for new every few days. Though i think it will much easier to just stick a mechanical pad on top of the first basket under the spray.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Rob

Anyone with plants having problems with growth due to lack of trace minerals, due to less frequent water changes? Most of my plants look healthy, but not growing. At all. It's not lack of light or ferts or anything like that. I thought the fish food, wood and sump top up would be enough, but just trying to eliminate possibilities, before trying Flourish Trace.

My fish are fine. Bright colours, normal behaviour.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

Quote Originally Posted by lastflea View Post
    Anyone with plants having problems with growth due to lack of trace minerals, due to less frequent water changes? Most of my plants look healthy, but not growing. At all. It's not lack of light or ferts or anything like that. I thought the fish food, wood and sump top up would be enough, but just trying to eliminate possibilities, before trying Flourish Trace.

Yes i have experienced the same ,i have a 200 liter tank with a thine layer of pool filter sand and a small plant pot ,since feb 2018 that i have installed AFS i have noticed that my plant growth have reduced also my algie growth have reduced ,the water is much more clear and the fish are happy ,my w/c is 50% a week.

Quote Originally Posted by lastflea View Post

I have never noticed that correlation only thing I have noticed is when I was using softened water my plants suffered.. beyond that ...they were fine with pretty much anything walk change-related

Quote Originally Posted by Loku View Post
    Does anyone knows what happened with the Doctor Kevin Novak?
    Maybe he sold Special Kitty cat litter company... ; )

Real Name
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    Now that’s funny! Lol
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Jody M.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Now that’s funny! Lol
    Patty
    That made me laugh out loud.
    No you don't throw them...

Jody-

Registered Member

So I am new here and considering starting a discus tank. My only tank now is a 150g with African Cichlids. I first have to say that you discus guys are nuts - in a good way! It is great to see the passion and the hard work and analysis. That being said, I am on the fence about going forward with discus as I just can't commit to water changes of at least one a week. I was hoping that the AFS was the answer. Based on what I have read so far, it seems that there have been varying results - so its not a sure thing. Anyway, if I did go forward, the tank would be somewhere between 90-110 gallons and I could create an AFS from scratch.

Even if I don't go forward, I am wondering if I should add a basket to my existing sump for my Africans - however, it seems that just having one basket in a sump won't accomplish much.

Real Name
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by farebox View Post
    Sure would like to know too? Also any update info on all folks using the Anoxic Filtration System on their discus tanks sure would be appreciated. Mine being going since 5/18/18 for my 125 gallon tank.
    I’ve posted that I wasn’t having any luck, my nitrates staying at 10. I finally took them out for that reason. I like having a clean sump again. That’s my update. Would like to hear from others too.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Page 43 of 53 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast