ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 13 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Nice to see a few folks interested in Anoxic Filtration System. Just waiting for things to mature and see the results of my tank water. Good luck to you all with your systems and thanks to Dr. Novak for informing us about this. Also Shaun from down under, how's your discus setup progressing? Sure would like to hear from ya my mate.....

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Quote Originally Posted by Salty Sphynx View Post
    I bought some of that fine plastic mesh from Joann's, to cut to size & line the baskets for just this reason.
    Sphinx what mesh are you talking about I can get some from our Hobby Lobby if they have it I'm also thinking I can just make a sack of it out of mesh instead of the time it takes to stitch up these plastic canvas containers

Real Name
    Heather

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    Sphinx what mesh are you talking about I can get some from our Hobby Lobby if they have it I'm also thinking I can just make a sack of it out of mesh instead of the time it takes to stitch up these plastic canvas containers
    It's this one: http://www.joann.com/darice-stiff-pl...r/1971233.html

Ordered it and the soft nylon mesh (to cover my plenum) online.
    Every Day is a Bonus!

Quote Originally Posted by Salty Sphynx View Post
    It's this one: http://www.joann.com/darice-stiff-pl...r/1971233.html

Ordered it and the soft nylon mesh (to cover my plenum) online.
    hmmm...well that plastic canvas is what i made my container out of and a good bit of little still made it out. today i found "tulle" to use a a liner. its a tight mesh w/ holes about the size of a typical tank net.

Quote Originally Posted by farebox View Post
    Nice to see a few folks interested in Anoxic Filtration System. Just waiting for things to mature and see the results of my tank water. Good luck to you all with your systems and thanks to Dr. Novak for informing us about this. Also Shaun from down under, how's your discus setup progressing? Sure would like to hear from ya my mate.....
    it is interesting, stumbled upon this BCB filter from a post on a FB group responding to a member posting their WC system they do everyday. then i see it was getting traction on SD too.

to those rinsing the litter and flourite. i found what works well is putting in 5 gallon bucket, filling, stirring, then dumping the water and repeating. instead of just letting it overflow.
    and flourite is about 10x as dusty/muddle as litter... go figure.

Real Name
    Heather

hmmm...well that plastic canvas is what i made my container out of and a good bit of little still made it out. today i found "tulle" to use a a liner. its a tight mesh w/ holes about the size of a typical tank net.
    Thanks for the heads up.

I'll go ahead and add the soft mesh as a liner to my BCBs as well.
    Every Day is a Bonus!

Real Name
    Heather

Here's a pic of my basket compared to the plastic mesh I was intending to use as a liner. The weave on the sheet of mesh is quite a bit tighter than that of the basket. Do you think it's this same material that you used (that leaks the litter)?

I can use the soft mesh if necessary, but was hoping this one would work as I have so much of the stuff, lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Every Day is a Bonus!

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

I used this stuff for all my baskets and just had to keep rinsing all the little fine bits out. Also I sat the baskets in an sink full of water to ensure no more leakage before I placed in the sump. I emptied my sump of water, then backed the baskets in, refilled the sump.

Real Name
    Heather

I used this stuff for all my baskets and just had to keep rinsing all the little fine bits out. Also I sat the baskets in an sink full of water to ensure no more leakage before I placed in the sump. I emptied my sump of water, then backed the baskets in, refilled the sump.
    Great, thanks!

In retrospect, do you wish you had used a finer soft mesh? Or were you happy with the outcome of this material?
    Every Day is a Bonus!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cesar A. Castillo

Hi all,

I ended up making 6 baskets on Friday. I plopped them into my 55 gallon aquarium that has a around 30 fish. These are mostly feeder gold fish and some Danios, also three Gouramies. These are all for a teaching lab I maintain.
    The water did not cloud up. The cat litter did not mush up. The baskets held up nicely.

On the topic of washing the cat litter, I use an old sieve plate with openings the size of 100 microns. One sieve plate can hold enough cat litter for 1 of my 4" x 4" baskets. It takes me 3-4 minutes to rinse the litter well. When I put the baskets into the tank they barely clouded the tank. However, that was mostly my fault because the last three baskets were placed in a hurry and they got more turbulence as they were being placed at the bottom of the tank.
    My 75 gallon tank, which is what I am making these baskets for, is still not ready anyhow. So I figured they could start the cycling process now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tindomul; 01-22-2018 at 03:43 PM.

i ended up lining the basket with plastic canvas, then using the tulle, 2 layers thick, fine grit even leaked through the tulle, but it seems to have stabilized. i just vacced it out w/ a siphon

now i guess i wait and see

cesar, what is holding the tops on?

this was a good idea, wish i would have thought of it before i littered my sump...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cesar A. Castillo

There are slots on the outer rim of the basket, and I cut tabs on the tops to fit into the slots. I really should put a weight on top to keep it closed.

Page 13 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast