AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 17 of 53 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Hi zac ;
    Where do you buy your zeolite ? i live in Melbourne ,Victoria.

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    Thanks Jack I was going to use the plastic canvas but the tulle seems like a good idea as well. Thinking water flow may be better with the canvas. Have to go get more baskets. My husband cracked them trying to drill them. I borrowed a better bit from our maintenance guy here at work. I’ll do it myself this time.
    i used plastic canvas, got a lot of wash out. from what i was reading/watching water flow through the media is a bad thing.... so not worried to much using tulle
    and yeah, i got plastic basket at a big lots, and cracked when drilling too.

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Instead of drilling my plastic baskets, I took an small cheap soldering iron to make the holes in the baskets, quick and easy. Also here's an video of my 125 gallon tank 30 days in: https://youtu.be/MKa_zEaGpTI
    So far all is good, now doing 50% water changes every four days and I haven't tested my water for nitrates lately because the tank is totally clear and all fishes in excellent shape.

what would be the ideal ratio for clay/laterite? should I just dig a hole in the clay and put laterite in? hmm,

Real Name
    Zac

Hey Sayid, I used this product from woolworths https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/p...at-litter-clay.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Oswaldo

Good day.

Today is the 75 day of my AFS... lol too much time!...

Ammonia and nitrites are 0 ppm and with the help of 2 big water changes my nitrates are 5 ppm or less...

12 days since I taked out all my biological filtration and the ASF is rocking!!!

The AFS is a really good option to keep and grow out discus!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

Thanks Zac , going to buy some and give it a try.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

Hi Zac, I got some zeolite from woolworth and in the process of making my basckets ,i have two questions.
    1. Where do you get your laterite ? I have got some bentonite clay ,can i substitute that instead of laterite ?
    2. I am trying to have an above tank sump so i am restricted to small size basckets ,is there any limit on the size of the basckets?
    Thanks in advance.

Real Name
    Zac

Hey Sayid, Bentonite clay is very different from latterite. I simply bought flourite red off ebay. As for the size of the baskets, the nitrifying layer is only really a few millimetres thick, so going small shouldn't be a problem.

So I finally got everything together and got my basket made. My only issue is I had bought regular Flourite and not the red.
    It looks like the issue is the red contains more iron so I doubled the amount I put in. If things are moving along too slowly it looks like I can add liquid iron to the center of the baskets via a turkey injector. I bought the flourite online. The thought of trying to return it and wait for another shipment was just over the top... Hoping this will have enough to pull it all together..... Once I see it is working I’ll replace the other media and have a bit more room for my heaters that used to be in the refugium.

E4E46BF8-E268-400D-B1DD-6E7F75D9C65A.jpg

Registered Member

Very nice...looking forward to seeing/hearing some positive results!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cesar A. Castillo

Hi,

JackL posted this link some weeks ago. It shows that regular Fluorite is actually preferable because it contains the most iron out of all the other fluorite products.

http://www.seachem.com/downloads/cha...omposition.pdf

jenene, is that heater ok on the mesh bag?

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Hey Shaun from down under, how's your anoxic filtration system coming along these days? Sure would love to hear about your progression. My system is now about 40 days in and so far all is great. Having a little algae still growing on plant leaves, hope it clears up once the system matures more. Haven't tested the tank for nitrates lately, just letting things run. As long as my discus are doing fine, I'm happy camper.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eddie

Been a few weeks since my last update.
    been getting 2-5 nitrate readings. Only 1 water change a week.
    These 5 baskets are from my OCT set in my bcb farm

Page 17 of 53 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast