AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 LastLast

Thread: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Registered Member

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Quote Originally Posted by Mogens Bang Olesen View Post
    Hi it works wery wery well, I have changed to a litter i got in Germany. I have a 720 ltr tank with 28 discus i am feedeing 4 times a day i am changing water 30% 1 time a month, bare bottom and changing filter socs two times a week.
    The fish is growing fine. And they are so helty and very fine.
    Congrats. Can you please share the litter you used.
    TIA.

Registered Member Luke in Phoenix's Avatar
    Real Name
    Luke

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockfella View Post
    Congrats. Can you please share the litter you used.
    TIA.
    Fast forward to second 59 of this video and you'll see the kitty litter that worked for me: https://youtu.be/4uefD7acEiI

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Luke in Phoenix View Post
    Fast forward to second 59 of this video and you'll see the kitty litter that worked for me: https://youtu.be/4uefD7acEiI
    Got it! How are the BCBs doing after you moved?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by RNJ View Post
    No source no info who wrote it nothing. How can it be trusted?

Novak has another tank with no plants.. working fine.
    Last edited by Rockfella; 07-08-2021 at 09:37 AM.

Registered Member

@farebox: For some reason none of your videos play in YT for me.
    Last edited by Rockfella; 07-08-2021 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Added info

Real Name
    Luke

Got it! How are the BCBs doing after you moved?
    I just set it up again today on a tank with no algae scrubber so I'll be testing it as the only biological filtration with another canister filter in line before it with physical sponge filtration to keep the BCB canister filter extra clean. I've noticed a few things that seem to be consistent among BCB adventurers.

- BCB's seem to initially absorb nitrate somehow before they're fully cycled. People think it's working already and then it seems to stop but the bacteria is just still developing.
    - Cycling time for ammonia and nitrate is the normal 6-8 weeks with some anoxic bacteria at that time but then the "deeper" anoxic bacteria start to build after that. I would say 3-4 months for a full anoxic cycle although it does filter nitrate before that.
    - I can't find any size recommendations. such as you'll need X size if you feed X amount of cubes per day. A test like that would be very helpful.

I'm still partial to algae scrubbers because I like to physically "see and remove" the waste / algae from the tank but BCBs are an excellent solution. I likely use both on my next tank build. If I build another canister filter I would do the cheap DIY 5 gallon bucket canister filter.

This guy does a good job documenting his BCB test for the first time. Highly recommend reading: https://www.tropicalfishforums.co.uk...,268722.0.html

Real Name
    Luke

I'll also add the aquarium I set it up on is a bare bottom no plants tank so there are no other nitrate filters. We'll see how it goes.

Registered Member

I just set it up again today on a tank with no algae scrubber so I'll be testing it as the only biological filtration with another canister filter in line before it with physical sponge filtration to keep the BCB canister filter extra clean. I've noticed a few things that seem to be consistent among BCB adventurers.

- BCB's seem to initially absorb nitrate somehow before they're fully cycled. People think it's working already and then it seems to stop but the bacteria is just still developing.
    - Cycling time for ammonia and nitrate is the normal 6-8 weeks with some anoxic bacteria at that time but then the "deeper" anoxic bacteria start to build after that. I would say 3-4 months for a full anoxic cycle although it does filter nitrate before that.
    - I can't find any size recommendations. such as you'll need X size if you feed X amount of cubes per day. A test like that would be very helpful.

I'm still partial to algae scrubbers because I like to physically "see and remove" the waste / algae from the tank but BCBs are an excellent solution. I likely use both on my next tank build. If I build another canister filter I would do the cheap DIY 5 gallon bucket canister filter.

This guy does a good job documenting his BCB test for the first time. Highly recommend reading: https://www.tropicalfishforums.co.uk...,268722.0.html
    Great thanks.

I'll also add the aquarium I set it up on is a bare bottom no plants tank so there are no other nitrate filters. We'll see how it goes.
    Excellent. No plants or plenum supporting the filter. Ultimate test! Keep us posted.

Registered Member

One thing I notice people do is make smaller baskets. Recommended size is 30x30x20 cm for one adult koi. Larger size will have more "Zone C" for better efficiency. Not everyone has a sump, getting the right litter is not easy in all countries. There are many variables that can go wrong with many people in this method.
    This thread is detailed and he has mentioned basket size too, he also stated bigger one performs better than the small one.

Real Name
    Shan

I have been running 2 BCB's 11x7x14 sized in my 29 sump for my 125 tank for a few months now. This and filter floss is all I use for filtration. I feed daily twice and siphon very rarely. I get 5-10 nitrates every 3 days. I do a 40% water change every 4th day.

Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shan_Evolved View Post
    I have been running 2 BCB's 11x7x14 sized in my 29 sump for my 125 tank for a few months now. This and filter floss is all I use for filtration. I feed daily twice and siphon very rarely. I get 5-10 nitrates every 3 days. I do a 40% water change every 4th day.

Simply stunning!

Real Name
    Francis

Hoping to see some photos of yr 29 gallons sump and great job for the whole aquarium set up.

Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

OP has sand at the bottom. Not recommended by Dr. Novak. Plenum. I guess we need to go all guns blazing on AFS. Large BCBs/plenum.

Real Name
    Luke

Now those are some happy discus! Shan, you're killing it brother. It doesn't get any better.

Real Name
    Luke

One thing I notice people do is make smaller baskets. Recommended size is 30x30x20 cm for one adult koi. Larger size will have more "Zone C" for better efficiency. Not everyone has a sump, getting the right litter is not easy in all countries. There are many variables that can go wrong with many people in this method.
    This thread is detailed and he has mentioned basket size too, he also stated bigger one performs better than the small one.
    Ah, nice find! At least that size is a starting point.

Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 LastLast