Cafepress Store     Cafepress Store

Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38464748

Thread: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

iTrader

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

glad you mentioned that Jack L....was looking into the poret

Registered Member
    iTrader
    Real Name
    Cesar A. Castillo

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Hello all,

I wanted to post an update on my 75 gallon aquarium. I have in it about 40 tetras, and several dwarf cichlids, about 10. This is my experimental tank, it is heavily planted with a soil substrate. It has cat litter under that and a layer of laterite under that. I setup a plenum underneath with bio balls, but I have no active water flow under that. The last water change was on the 5th of May and I decided that today I would do another water change. I figured I should test for Nitrates out of curiosity, and I got a reading of 0. The tank is filtered with a sump that now holds 14 BCBs. Only 10 of these are mature as I added the last four about 12 days ago. Originally (when I last posted on this thread) I only had 5 BCBs. These five could not keep the Nitrate levels at 0 for longer than 1 week and I had algae problems in the tank. The algae disappeared a month after adding 6 a few months ago. Encouraged by these results I added the last four. It would be a tight squeeze to try and add anymore. So the good news is that I have achieved the goal of 0 nitrates even after months of no water changes. The fish are in good health with great colors and healthy appetites.

CÚsar
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tindomul; 08-09-2019 at 05:48 PM.

iTrader

Quote Originally Posted by Tindomul View Post
    Hello all,

I wanted to post an update on my 75 gallon aquarium. I have in it about 40 tetras, and several dwarf cichlids, about 10. This is my experimental tank, it is heavily planted with a soil substrate. It has cat litter under that and a layer of laterite under that. I setup a plenum underneath with bio balls, but I have no active water flow under that. The last water change was on the 5th of May and I decided that today I would do another water change. I figured I should test for Nitrates out of curiosity, and I got a reading of 0. The tank is filtered with a sump that now holds 14 BCBs. Only 10 of these are mature as I added the last four about 12 days ago. Originally (when I last posted on this thread) I only had 5 BCBs. These five could not keep the Nitrate levels at 0 for longer than 1 week and I had algae problems in the tank. The algae disappeared a month after adding 6 a few months ago. Encouraged by these results I added the last four. It would be a tight squeeze to try and add anymore. So the good news is that I have achieved the goal of 0 nitrates even after months of no water changes. The fish are in good health with great colors and healthy appetites.

CÚsar
    wow, awesome. Maybe this was in a previous post but were you able to collect data to try to see what the plants versus the BCBs was contributing to the nitrate levels?

Registered Member
    iTrader
    Real Name
    Cesar A. Castillo

The plants in the tank have been the same plants for over a year with lack luster growth. In my data before the addition of the extra BCB's I was getting a red color for the nitrate tests and was forced to do water changes 1-2 times monthly. I had a hard time distinguishing between 40ppm and 80ppm.

Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38464748