AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 47 of 53 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    The process to eliminate nitrate is scientifically described as denitrification. You can get the detailed chemistry via Wikipedia. There's no harm trying, although I want to point out two caveats:

1. Koi are far more tolerant of nitrate than discus, > 15 ppm
    2. Denitrification is a reduction reaction, which occurs far slower than an oxidation reaction (which is what happens during biological cycling NH3 -> NO2 -> NO3).

What ever happens, I wouldn't recommend this as an alternative to doing water changes in a discus tank. It might work with Africans.

Good luck, Willie

Willie with all due respect any one keeping discus that believes that they come from pristine waters and that you have to do massive daily water changes is called an extremist they take the word of a couple people and believe it to be gospel while never having been to the native waters and collected a discus or spoken to a collecter or even gone to the library to really know what kind of water they come from, as a tropical fish keeper and the discus is a tropical fish, I have learned that with fish keeping there are three major things to follow.

1.water you want volume vs. Density
    2.filtration you want lots of it if you can turn your water over ten times do it
    3.water changes less is best if you're water is not broke dyou don't have to change it you're better off with small frequent changes this results in less stress for the fish.

The extremist water is not broke they are breaking it but I don't think they ever really stop to think about that.

Jeanne

Registered Member

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Hi everyone,

I just read this entire tread and have started my AFS about two weeks ago. Thanks to everyone for great contribution here.Due to my busy schedule I don't have any results yet but would like to mention that I'm using Safe-T-Sorb as "cat litter" as it looks like it's the same content as some cat litters. It's made from montmorillonite clay minerals same as Blue Ribbon Premium Clay Cat Litter. Safe-T-Sorb is very cheap, like $9 CAD for 50lb bag.
    I've been using Safe-T-Sorb for couple years now for my planted tanks and it's been great. I'll try it and post results. I rinse it in a sieve as it has lot's of fine particles.

In regards to laterite this is what Wiki says:

Waste water treatment
    In Northern Ireland, phosphorus enrichment of lakes due to agriculture is a significant problem.[22] Locally available laterite—a low-grade bauxite rich in iron and aluminium—is used in acid solution, followed by precipitation to remove phosphorus and heavy metals at several sewage treatment facilities.[22] Calcium-, iron- and aluminium-rich solid media are recommended for phosphorus removal.[22] A study, using both laboratory tests and pilot-scale constructed wetlands, reports the effectiveness of granular laterite in removing phosphorus and heavy metals from landfill leachate.[22] Initial laboratory studies show that laterite is capable of 99% removal of phosphorus from solution.[22] A pilot-scale experimental facility containing laterite achieved 96% removal of phosphorus.[22] This removal is greater than reported in other systems.[22] Initial removals of aluminium and iron by pilot-scale facilities have been up to 85% and 98% respectively.[22] Percolating columns of laterite removed enough cadmium, chromium and lead to undetectable concentrations.[22] There is a possible application of this low-cost, low-technology, visually unobtrusive, efficient system for rural areas with dispersed point sources of pollution.[22]

Is it bacteria of laterite that's removing phoshorus??

Thanks,
    Dan

What is the mix ratio of cat litter to laterite and could you put this in your hang on filter

Jeanne

Then you deserve a medal if you actually did read all 46 pages of thread!
    -Elliot

still hoping to get feedback and updates!!

in the mean time Im going with the plenum for sure. From bottom to top it will be 1" dia bioballs, landscape cloth, qtr inch of flourite red and then a 3"-4" layer of special kitty. This follows what Dr Novaks youtube video stated fro the plenum but I have seen another video where the flourite was sandwiched between layers of cat litter.

again, any advice appreciated

OK, plenum update

cannot believe the amount of silt cast off form he kitty litter. Washed it over 50 times to the point where it still gets cloudy but now is a white colored fog if you will versus an opaque slate grey color. Worried that all those tiny particles are going to clog up the landscape cloth. Now thinking get smallest pea gravel I can from Home Depot and add this to the bio balls with the landscape cloth on top. maybe an inch....then the qtr inch fluorite, half inch of kitty litter followed by more pea gravel to make a 4 inch depth total of substrates.

Am I overthinking this? Any advice?

Thank you

Registered Member

My be Dr. Novak is not that much of the base with his theory..
    https://www.seachem.com/denitrate.php

de❊nitrate™ is an economical, natural, porous material with a pore distribution and geometry that promotes both aerobic nitrification within the first few millimeters of depth and anaerobic denitrification at the core. The material has a high surface area and supports a high density of bacteria. Although de❊nitrate™ has capacity to trap nitrate, this, as with other nitrate retaining materials, such as certain zeolites and synthetic resins, is quite limited and the primary mechanism of nitrate removal is anaerobic.

“Live” rocks or reef rocks remove nitrate by anaerobic denitrification. de❊nitrate™ removes nitrate by the same process. Efficiency is magnified several folds by forcing the water to filter through the porous de❊nitrate™. As with reef rock, anaerobic conditions are achieved by the porosity and the depletion of oxygen by the aerobic process at the surface. Excessive flow rates should, therefore, be avoided, as they may impede development of an adequate anaerobic environment to support denitrifying bacteria.

de❊nitrate™ is also an excellent media for aerobic nitrification and it makes an ideal biological filter in drip trays, canister filters, sumps, or even box filters. At high flow rates (greater than 100 US gallons per hour), it will function solely as an aerobic filter. At slow flow rates (less than 50 US gallons per hour), it will function as both an aerobic filter and an anaerobic denitrifying filter.

IMG_0219.jpg

making of the plenum with bioballs....layer 1

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post
    OK, plenum update

cannot believe the amount of silt cast off form he kitty litter. Washed it over 50 times to the point where it still gets cloudy but now is a white colored fog if you will versus an opaque slate grey color. Worried that all those tiny particles are going to clog up the landscape cloth. Now thinking get smallest pea gravel I can from Home Depot and add this to the bio balls with the landscape cloth on top. maybe an inch....then the qtr inch fluorite, half inch of kitty litter followed by more pea gravel to make a 4 inch depth total of substrates.

Am I overthinking this? Any advice?

Thank you
    Heya,
    im not too familiar with plenums only with bcbs but yes the amount of fine dust/slit that washes away is pretty much about 50% from what you start with. Your plan looks good as i have pretty close dimensions on my bcbs - 4-5" in total - 1-2" litter 1"flourite and rest with litter.

Eddie S

thank you for the reply! appreciate it!

the other layers of the plenum...
    IMG_0254.jpg
    IMG_0257.jpgIMG_0259.jpg

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Hold up my friend, I think you will need bio balls, undergravel plate, and then the weed blocker covered with the substrate to made an plenum... View Dr. Novak's video: https://youtu.be/gACyygl3n4Q

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eddie

I think he's fine with his setup as you dont really need the undergravel plate with his setup.
    Dr Novak plenum video w/o undergravel plate https://youtu.be/I--XScLHN5w
    Btw/ Blobfish is that stand from 80/20 tslots?

Quote Originally Posted by shime View Post
    I think he's fine with his setup as you dont really need the undergravel plate with his setup.
    Dr Novak plenum video w/o undergravel plate https://youtu.be/I--XScLHN5w
    Btw/ Blobfish is that stand from 80/20 tslots?
    appreciate both replies....I did review both videos. With the way the bio balls are packed in there for one complete layer....the lawns cape cloth seems to be fine (I hope !). My understanding is the plate or cloths purpose is really to keep particles out of the bio balls in order to maximize surface area.

The stand is anodized 80/20....love that stuff.

Any updates how your aquariums are doing with this filter method?

VR
    Blobfish

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post
    appreciate both replies....I did review both videos. With the way the bio balls are packed in there for one complete layer....the lawns cape cloth seems to be fine (I hope !). My understanding is the plate or cloths purpose is really to keep particles out of the bio balls in order to maximize surface area.

The stand is anodized 80/20....love that stuff.

Any updates how your aquariums are doing with this filter method?

VR
    Blobfish
    Heya Blobfish,
    Yeah im looking into the 80/20 right now for a new stand. Stuff is nice.

I just had another spawning and they about to hit wriggler stage.
    The vid below has them and the other offspring earlier in the year. All tanks using bcb in an overhead sump.
    the small ones are back to 1 a week water change and the fry when they hit bbs stage gonna water change every other day.

Eddie S

Page 47 of 53 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast