AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Real Name
    Zac

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

I live in Australia so probably don't really fit in here in terms of shops and stuff. But the cat litter I bought was Woolworth's homebrand cat litter. Just look at its ingredients, if its just zeolite/ clay with nothing else than your all good.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nuno

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Hello Guys, I just registered so please be gentle to this non english speaker fishkeeper lol.

I'll soon be moving to a bigger house, that means I'll have more space for more aquariums
    Because I need to make an higher stand for my actual 200 liters display tank + 70 liter sump, I'll take the time to also make a new sump able to accomodate a few baskets. For starters I'll maybe use the established sump bio balls together with the baskets an after that I'll slowly removing the bio balls.
    My actual tank will have a major overhaul because of the moving, so my idea is to install a plenum + the baskets.
    I first stumbled on Kevin's videos a few months ago and I have been maturing the idea; it won't hurt to try it.

I'm having problems to find the good litter, since here in Belgium I can only find clumping litter; but today I remembered about some spare Akadama soil I still have. The laterite i'll buy from amazon and for the containers i'll drill a few "tupperwares".

Does someone have an idea if the akadama will work? Basically it's clay and it keeps it's shape after long time inside the tank.

Registered Member Luke in Phoenix's Avatar
    Real Name
    Luke

Welcome Nuno! Looking forward to hearing your results. I'm not sure on the akadama but others May know about it.

Hey Nuno, do you have Carrefour hypermarkets over there? In Spain they have a suitable kitty litter with their own brand, one scented that you should not use and the same one unscented

This is the one

Hope it helps

Real Name
    Zac

Hey Nuno, I am not too sure about the akadama soil, as the biocenosis clarification basket relies on ion exchange to function. If you can not find any non clumping cat litter, you could always just use zeolite from any local fish store. We just use non clumping kitty litter as it is cheaper, even though it is the same product, zeolite.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nuno

Quote Originally Posted by 100fuegos View Post
    Hey Nuno, do you have Carrefour hypermarkets over there? In Spain they have a suitable kitty litter with their own brand, one scented that you should not use and the same one unscented

This is the one

Hope it helps
    Holla 100fuegos

thank you for your suggestion and example, that's very friendly from you; on Carrefour website I can only find clumping litter but I will have a look on the hypermarket carrefour nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by zhuls1 View Post
    Hey Nuno, I am not too sure about the akadama soil, as the biocenosis clarification basket relies on ion exchange to function. If you can not find any non clumping cat litter, you could always just use zeolite from any local fish store. We just use non clumping kitty litter as it is cheaper, even though it is the same product, zeolite.
    Hello zhuls1

Zeolite I found it very easy 10 liters - 15 or 16 euro. They call it in the package "professional filter media for ponds"

http://www.aqua-store.fr/filtration-bassin-superfish/4312-superfish-zeolite-10l-8715897025518.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAvf3RBRBBEiwAH5XYq NAiSt_NbBICd30pQwrfypj2RCuT9GfCrgqdieTydhxoT_GCdHt 3uxoCxTkQAvD_BwE

Laterite it's also easy to find.
    Ordering from Germany it's here in the next day but I find it expensive. What do you guys think?

Dupla Duplarit G, 500 g - 19.25€

or

Seachem Flourite Red 15 Pounds (6.8Kg) - 32.90€

Will the Seachem Flourite Red work as good as the Dupla Duplarit G? There is a huge difference in the price!

Thank you guys!!!
    Nuno

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nuno

Quote Originally Posted by 100fuegos View Post

This is the one

Hope it helps

Holla 100fuegos

In Belgium we have 2 types of carrefour; a small one I have in my town and only has a clumping type, and a big type I only have on the neighbour town. I'll have a look there and let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by zhuls1 View Post
    Hello Zhuls1
    That I can find this type. Thank you for the clear up.

http://www.aqua-store.fr/filtration-...xoCxTkQAvD_BwE

Registered Member Shaun's Discus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Shaun Stoddart

Quick update on my Discus tank. Day 47 for my AFS running. W/C's schedule is now every 4 days @ 50%. No3 readings at day 4 are 2 to 3ppm. Tank has now ZERO cyano and any form of algae apart from the odd 2 to 3mm green spot on the front glass. Tested phosphate levels are ZERO ppm. 4 weeks ago around 3ppm. The anoxic filter removes ALL phosphates and is now taking care of any nitrate that is produced. I only have 12 blue plastic bio balls left in the sump.

Before I added my first basket ( now have 5 running) I had 2kg of lava rock, 2kg of matrix, 1kg of cheap ceramic rings, this is all now removed. The bio balls will be removed within the next 2 weeks. This system works period.

Registered Member

Good to hear! I'm at 30 days with mine. I'm planning on testing this weekend to see where I'm at.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cesar A. Castillo

Guys please keep up with the updates. I had to order the planting baskets online. Not sure when they will ship out. My next step is to get the cat litter. Tried BJ's and they had a massive bag, so I decided not to do that and shop around for a smaller size.

Registered Member

Hi Shaun. Thank you very much for your update. I’ve also enjoyed watching your YouTube channel. I had a number of questions and I wondered if you could shed some light.

Firstly, can this system be set up inside a separate container using pure household ammonia as in the fishless cyle method?
    Secondly, is this system compatible with the use of medication should the need arise?
    Thirdly, can this system be employed in blackwater tanks or wild discus tanks with very low ph/conductivity and more importantly, would the process of ion exchange that takes place within the structure of the cat litter, have any affect on tannins and humic substances?

I’ll be grateful for any input. Thanks again.
    Tolga

Real Name
    Zac

hey tolga! just thought I would answer your questions as best as I could.

1. Firstly, can this system be set up inside a separate container using pure household ammonia as in the fishless cyle method?

I don't see any reason you couldn't use a seperate container using household ammonia to cycle it. however, this filter removes so much more than just ammonia, it removes things such as phosphates too. If you are going for the fishless cycle, I would recommend using fish food or raw shrimp to cycle your aquarium because this will allow bacteria that consumes phosphates to grow in addition to ammonia consuming bacteria. It will also have other bacterias growing removing different toxins from the water.

2. Secondly, is this system compatible with the use of medication should the need arise?

This system should be treated as typical biological filtration in this regard, as long as the medications you use do not effect the population of bacteria in the aquarium, than it should be safe to use. In general, medications other than antibiotics should be safe to use.

3. Thirdly, can this system be employed in blackwater tanks or wild discus tanks with very low ph/conductivity

It should operate just fine in such a situation.

4. would the process of ion exchange that takes place within the structure of the cat litter, have any affect on tannins and humic substances?

Sorry, not too sure about this one.

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Okay, just made my DIY "Anoxic Filration System", placed an basket in my sump, removed a basket of siporax bio filter medium. Will have to wait and see what happens down the road in six month. https://youtu.be/fVsQfhoRoz0

Real Name
    Heather

Hello all!

Was so happy to stumble across this thread, that I had to register on the forum.

We are returning to fish keeping after a 10 year hiatus, and have spent the last month watching Dr Kevin's and Shaun's videos on anoxic filtration. We are sold. So now we have acquired a 92 gal bowfront and are currently outfitting our sump for the BCBs. Can not wait to get everything plumbed and begin cycling!

Big thanks to all who have contributed to this subject and looking forward to reading your updates.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=so9VTERXrkI
    Every Day is a Bonus!

Very cool stuff indeed
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast