ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343515253

Thread: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Come folks out there I really like to know has this system worked as claimed. Like I stated before gave it three tries and just gave up. I will admit since June 2022, back to some good bio-media in my sump.

Registered Member Luke in Phoenix's Avatar
    Real Name
    Luke

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

I made a BCB in a canister filter. It seemed to work really well for a while (~year) but stopped. It now does zero nitrate removal so I removed it this week and am all in on an algae scrubber. I posted the BCB in a canister filter on youtube. I've seen this happen a few times. It seems like the laterite absorbs nutrients and cleans the water at first until it gets full? Similar to carbon but seems to suck up nitrate also. I believe other people have probably gotten it to work but it shouldn't be this complicated...

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Okay, it's good to hear somebody else stopped using this system. Not bashing the anoxic filtration system, just like to know the long-term effect, thanks Luke for your response.

Registered Member

I use it in my sump in addition to regular bio AND a purigen reactor. My goal here is extra insurance and not as an alternative to WCs. For clay I’m using oil-dri (ace hardware) and for iron I mixed in some flourite red and flourish iron. Packed it all in and old 300 micron filter sock and closed it with a zip tie. Easy and cheap.

If it stops working for you, I’d pull the basket out and squirt some flourish iron on the clay, maybe the bacteria in it just starved?

Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343515253