ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 7 of 53 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Real Name
    Heather

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun's Discus View Post
    The term itself "conspiracy theory" is the conspiracy theory. The term's origins date back to 1967 and was invented by ,,,,,, yes the CIA. In an effort to silence anyone who questioned an "official story" or the like, you were labeled one of these. It's purely an attempt to distract from the truth.
    Exactly right. Is precisely why I used the term.

Laterite is in abundance everywhere in nature and because of this I guess it wasn't really profitable for companies to dig it up, package and sell it. It's easier for them to make up a name like ADA Aquasoil, advertise that it can do this and that and its got this and that and our stuff is the best etc etc etc And in reality its all BS. Just imagine if everyone could learn how to make their own fuel for their cars !!
    I couldn't even find the stuff in the raw brick form. I saw grinders for sale, and at one time it looked like the mines in India would sell (in bulk) the raw material, but even those sources seem to have dried up. Very curious.

The anoxic filtration system can't be marketed and sold by the Big companies because if you have half a brain, anyone can build it and implement it, and the awesome part is that it's better than anything else out there in the mainstream aquatic scene being sold. Once my last tank is converted over to a sump system I WILL NEVER USE ANOTHER STINKING MUCKY CANISTER FILTER AGAIN.

Rant finished!!
    You've hit the nail on the head with the rationale of those that stand to benefit (or lose) commercially, and I completely agree.

Feel free to rant away (I often do).
    Every Day is a Bonus!

Real Name
    Heather

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Quote Originally Posted by zhuls1 View Post
    Latterite is simply a clay based material with a high level of iron and other elements, flourite red is essentialy clay with latterite added to it. Basically, flourite red is just a little less concentrated version of laterite. There will be 0 difference in performance between the 2, only difference is because flourite red has less iron/ gram of it you will need to use more flourite red as opposed to how much laterite you would need. You could, as an arbitrary example use 1/2 cup laterite, or 2 cups flourite red. As long as you use the appropriate ammount, there will be no difference in performance.
    Thank you for this.

I had finally grasped the basic science at work behind the AFS, the components used and why. The negative charged ions basically attract the elements involved towards the center of the BCBs (more like static electricity, rather than magnetic) til ultimately the facultative anaerobic heterotrophic bugs consume the remaining three oxygen atoms (of the NO3) and leave just the nitrogen atom which is initially dissolved in the water and eventually off gassed.

I am certainly no chemistry expert, but this seems reasonable and all elements being (close to) equal, your statement makes sense to me.
    Every Day is a Bonus!

Registered Member Luke in Phoenix's Avatar
    Real Name
    Luke

Have you guys seen what ratio of flourite red to clay is ideal?
    I'm building a basket and going to add flourite red to the center.

Dr. Novak recommends 1/3 cup laterite for a 4x4x4 basket. That's about 7.52% but I'm not sure for flourite

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cesar A. Castillo

Hi all,

I was about to build my bcb's when I opened my cat litter and saw that some of the clay pellets were painted blue. When I took a close look at the ingredients it says
    Natural Clay Product with Deodorizing System. Does this mean I can't use it?

Real Name
    Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Tindomul View Post
    Hi all,

I was about to build my bcb's when I opened my cat litter and saw that some of the clay pellets were painted blue. When I took a close look at the ingredients it says
    Natural Clay Product with Deodorizing System. Does this mean I can't use it?
    I would definitely not use it. I found 2 brands that work from walmart which are 100% natural clay, nothing added. The special kitty or a blue and green bag called kitty diggin's.

Real Name
    Zac

Flourite red is clay based so will also attract ions like kitty litter. All thats really important is that you provide enough iron to establish the bacteria. With flourite red you cant really use too much, so I probably would use enough to get a layer that is a couple of centimetres deep, but you can use as much as you like. If the kitty litter is blue and has additives, definitely don't use it.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Karen Keller

Hi All, Got a small bag of walmart special kitty litter put it in a cup of water and let it sit overnight it was a lot more muck then litter. Has any one tried OilDri I think I read that you can use it if you can't fine a good kitty litter I have all the basket's just need to fine a good bake clay litter.

Real Name
    Luke

Just rinse it in a strainer (metal mesh) or similar and it will work great to remove the dust and very small pieces

Real Name
    Heather

Quote Originally Posted by Luke in Phoenix View Post
    Have you guys seen what ratio of flourite red to clay is ideal?
    I'm building a basket and going to add flourite red to the center.

Dr. Novak recommends 1/3 cup laterite for a 4x4x4 basket. That's about 7.52% but I'm not sure for flourite
    According to this video of Dr Novak's, you can use 1/3 cup of the fluorite red as a substitute. He's also recommending that it be layered in first over a plenum at 1/4" under the main substrate (which could be kitty litter).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yINbj43LwL8&t=53s

I may go ahead and do the 1/4" fluorite layer over my plenum, and as of now, am still in live with PFS as my main substrate.

I will thoroughly document my set up, building the BCBs etc with photos and videos on my own channel.

I've finally acquired all the pieces to this puzzle, lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Every Day is a Bonus!

Real Name
    Shari

Here’s another filtration method...for those peeps who don’t want to bother with sumps. I’ve had sump there great but gosh darn so bloody loud. Just hearing one makes me want to pee. Lolololol

Got a video from Pondguru here.

https://youtu.be/L5FkSTYkEAE

Real Name
    Shari

Here’s a look into biological media....
    Yes he’s pushing his but I’ve heard really good reviews on it.

https://youtu.be/QTtAUYR67Eg

Real Name
    Zac

Hey Kalawai, the problem with these sorts of filter medias is they work well when new, but clog quickly than become anaerobic. which is the advantage of the BCB'S, you are not forcing water through it so it wont clog.

Real Name
    Shari

Quote Originally Posted by zhuls1 View Post
    Hey Kalawai, the problem with these sorts of filter medias is they work well when new, but clog quickly than become anaerobic. which is the advantage of the BCB'S, you are not forcing water through it so it wont clog.
    Not if you keep the mechanical media clean. Let me explain. I’ll be using a filter boosters along with my main canisters. Those filter boosters are smaller easier to clean...on a rotating basis.
    Last edited by kalawai; 01-12-2018 at 08:27 PM.

Real Name
    Zac

Hey kalawai, even with the best of prefilters, there is still a significant ammount of microscopic debris that bypass the prefilters. This will coat the surface of the filter media with micro debris which significantly reduce the area that the bacteria can reside on. I have heard good things about these sorts of media's before over the first couple of months, than they just don't really work much after that.

Real Name
    Luke

Dr. Kevin Novak has a very similar video where he discusses this isssue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPPS4M36Z84

Page 7 of 53 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast