AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 10 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

I still have my mechanical filtration in place. Since my tank has been running for over five yrs, I totally felt safe to remove the bio media, like I said all is good in my tank. Also doing 50% water changes to play it safe until the anoxic filter kicks in. Check this: https://youtu.be/MKGv38H7m5w
    Last edited by farebox; 01-15-2018 at 10:07 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Quote Originally Posted by farebox View Post
    I still have my mechanical filtration in place. Since my tank has been running for over five yrs, I totally felt safe to remove the bio media, like I said all is good in my tank. Also doing 50% water changes to play it safe until the anoxic filter kicks in. Check this: https://youtu.be/MKGv38H7m5w
    Lovely tank with good looking fish.

Real Name
    Shari

Quote Originally Posted by tolga View Post
    This is what I would use:

https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co....pond-solutions

This would trap all if not most of the detritus and you can simply clean it without ever disturbing the main canister filter. Just a thought...
    I had a video by Pondguru that explains the filter booster and I would think this would be invaluable as a mechanical filter ahead of the main canister. I would purchase the larger version of the two that are available. Why aren’t these more popular here in the US is mind boggling. It comes with three different grades of sponges..to filter out different sizes of mulm.
    Easy to clean and you won’t hurt yourself while cleaning it....

Real Name
    Shari

Wow! I’m hoping that Luke’s canister version works because that’s what I’m wanting to do for my tank. I believe someone already asked but what were the values before and after you set up the Anoxic Filtration System? Nitrates

Registered Member

Looking very good. Thanks for sharing this. The big amazon sword is very impressive. Have you had it for a while? I wonder what kind of substrate you have in that flower pot. It sure is very effective.

Quick question. I think I finally will be getting my sump online soon. I assume it's ok to have in a higher flow area if I like the baskets with fine mesh?

Just don't want to recognize figure the baffles all over again

Nevermind answered my own question. Read the article again and flow is not great for the process
    Last edited by Ryan925; 01-17-2018 at 01:47 AM.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Zac

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Quick question. I think I finally will be getting my sump online soon. I assume it's ok to have in a higher flow area if I like the baskets with fine mesh?

Just don't want to recognize figure the baffles all over again

Nevermind answered my own question. Read the article again and flow is not great for the process
    Hello ryan, the beauty of the Biocenosis clarification basket is that water flows around, not through the baskets. This means that a high flow does not negatively impact the baskets performance. In fact, the biocenosis clarification filter will work better in a higher flow as more ammonia will be presented to it. Just make sure there is space between / around the baskets so water can flow around them freely.

Quote Originally Posted by zhuls1 View Post
    Hello ryan, the beauty of the Biocenosis clarification basket is that water flows around, not through the baskets. This means that a high flow does not negatively impact the baskets performance. In fact, the biocenosis clarification filter will work better in a higher flow as more ammonia will be presented to it. Just make sure there is space between / around the baskets so water can flow around them freely.
    I read the article again last night more closely. From what I gather a high flow is not recommended as it can defeat the purpose. By having too much flow it would oxeginate the center of the baskets correct? If I read correctly we want lower flow areas so water can flow around the baskets, drawing in ammonia, but don't want water to flow directly through the basket. If I placed it where I was thinking it would have significant flow through it unfortunately.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

"I still have my mechanical filtration in place. Since my tank has been running for over five yrs, I totally felt safe to remove the bio media, like I said all is good in my tank. Also doing 50% water changes to play it safe until the anoxic filter kicks in. Check this: https://youtu.be/MKGv38H7m5w"

Since you have been only running this system a month or two (the new filter) and still doing large waterchanges wouldn't this video really be the "before" video seeing as the overall system has been running for years? Then after you fully run on the new filter for several months a new video would be the after.

Tank looks great!

Registered Member Luke in Phoenix's Avatar
    Real Name
    Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    also, everyone is getting red flourite to substitue for laterite as it is MIA. and the purpose of laterite is Iron right?

so why are people getting red flourite when regular fourite has more FE per seachem site?

http://www.seachem.com/downloads/cha...omposition.pdf

Good research. Looks like either would work to me. People use the red because Dr. Novak said to use it over the black.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    scott

Quote Originally Posted by zhuls1 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yINbj43LwL8, I use flourite red. It is only needed as a source of minerals particularly iron for when the bacteria is first establishing.
    would using standard flourite be better as it has more Iron content according to seachems website than thier florurite red.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    scott

oops sorry for repeated question, just joined and needed to ask before I got to the end of the thread, I will order the standard lol

Quote Originally Posted by Luke in Phoenix View Post
    Good research. Looks like either would work to me. People use the red because Dr. Novak said to use it over the black.
    I am using regular flourite that cost a lot less than red and has more iron seachem confirmed when I message them the professor probably just didn't check the spectrometer reading. He repeatedly says it's just for iron even says you can just use with iron nails to somebody so I think it will work. Luke are you the one that has that plastic canvas design in your canister?

If so to that is a lot of work to stich canvas. I am making a bunch of cylinders out of it and it's taking a long time. also fishing line is not easy to stitch with it keeps wrapping up and has a memory from being on the reel.

I've watched all his videos and read comments I have not found the ebook but it seems the exterior surface area of the BCB is where you'll get the reaction layer. SO INSTEAD of one giant one, i am on making a bunch of smaller ones about 4” cylinders, a similar size he had as sump recommendation. hoping that there is a lot of water flow around the perimeters of them.

I am not sure if it will work but his other videos align with a lot of my theories/suspicions and for the cost of it it's worth a try considering what I've spent on other things trying to get better water quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankman View Post
    oops sorry for repeated question, just joined and needed to ask before I got to the end of the thread, I will order the standard lol
    Tankman that's what I am doing from what I can tell it should do the trick. I emailed seachem and they confirmed to me it does have the most iron anyway.

Real Name
    Heather

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    SO INSTEAD of one giant one, i am on making a bunch of smaller ones about 4” cylinders, a similar size he had as sump recommendation. hoping that there is a lot of water flow around the perimeters of them.

I am not sure if it will work but his other videos align with a lot of my theories/suspicions and for the cost of it it's worth a try considering what I've spent on other things trying to get better water quality.
    I agree with this approach and am doing something similar. Am using many (up to 12) of the 4"x4" planters' baskets instead of a few larger ones. Will be time consuming, but I think the more surface areas allowing more flow makes sense.

Am now trying to configure the best DIY approach to a prefilter, similar to Dr Novak's canister idea.
    Every Day is a Bonus!

Page 10 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast