AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Registered Member Luke in Phoenix's Avatar
    Real Name
    Luke

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    I am using regular flourite that cost a lot less than red and has more iron seachem confirmed when I message them the professor probably just didn't check the spectrometer reading. He repeatedly says it's just for iron even says you can just use with iron nails to somebody so I think it will work. Luke are you the one that has that plastic canvas design in your canister?

If so to that is a lot of work to stich canvas. I am making a bunch of cylinders out of it and it's taking a long time. also fishing line is not easy to stitch with it keeps wrapping up and has a memory from being on the reel.

I've watched all his videos and read comments I have not found the ebook but it seems the exterior surface area of the BCB is where you'll get the reaction layer. SO INSTEAD of one giant one, i am on making a bunch of smaller ones about 4” cylinders, a similar size he had as sump recommendation. hoping that there is a lot of water flow around the perimeters of them.

I am not sure if it will work but his other videos align with a lot of my theories/suspicions and for the cost of it it's worth a try considering what I've spent on other things trying to get better water quality.

Hi Jack, yes I did the design in the canister filter and yes, the sewing with the fishing line took forever! haha. I'm sure there are better ways but the fishing line turned out very nice in the end so it may still be worth it...

Dr. Novak told me that ideal size is 7X7X11. But again, many sizes work. That's kind of the nice thing about the Anoxic Filtration System and the BCB baskets, they are hard to mess up.

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

11 high?

Quote Originally Posted by Salty Sphynx View Post
    I agree with this approach and am doing something similar. Am using many (up to 12) of the 4"x4" planters' baskets instead of a few larger ones. Will be time consuming, but I think the more surface areas allowing more flow makes sense.

Am now trying to configure the best DIY approach to a prefilter, similar to Dr Novak's canister idea.
    Did you find a good price on those 4 by 4 baskets somewhere? I was finding for 5 to $8 a piece which seem pretty steep.

Real Name
    Luke

11 high?
    I think the important thing to note is the 7x7 part. an "ideal" basket could be made 7x7x7 or 7x7x100 or whatever fits as long as you're getting the 7 inches deep part. The smaller ones will work great also though. Just depends on how much space you have.

Real Name
    Heather

Did you find a good price on those 4 by 4 baskets somewhere? I was finding for 5 to $8 a piece which seem pretty steep.
    $2.25 ea. @ ponddeals.com
    Every Day is a Bonus!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Karen Keller

Pond biz.com has all sizes baskets

Registered Member
    Real Name
    scott

nice one jack

Registered Member
    Real Name
    scott

I'm going to build a over the tank sump on my 400ltr tank

Registered Member
    Real Name
    scott

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cesar A. Castillo

Help please!!!!

I bought the special kitty from Walmart.thumbnail.jpg
    I put it under the sink and it looked flimsy. So I took some in my hand and found that I could easily break it apart, I could easily mush it together into one larger clay mass. If I rubbed it with my fingers I can cause it to melt away.

Did I buy the wrong thing or are they not baking this stuff anymore??? HELP!! I can't believe how hard it is to find the right kitty litter!

Real Name
    Heather

Quote Originally Posted by Tindomul View Post
    Help please!!!!

I bought the special kitty from Walmart.thumbnail.jpg
    I put it under the sink and it looked flimsy. So I took some in my hand and found that I could easily break it apart, I could easily mush it together into one larger clay mass. If I rubbed it with my fingers I can cause it to melt away.

Did I buy the wrong thing or are they not baking this stuff anymore??? HELP!! I can't believe how hard it is to find the right kitty litter!
    I've been hearing this complaint more often recently. It does make me think they're indeed no longer baking it(?) It doesn't by chance say it's the "clumping" version anywhere on the bag?

I think another user said "Kitty Diggins" was an alternative, but don't know of any specific anecdotal experiences with it.

I've also read elsewhere (maybe this thread even) about the possibility of using zeolite. It might be worth putting the question to Dr Novak for his opinion/advice.
    Every Day is a Bonus!

Real Name
    Luke

Hey Cesar,

I used this special Kitty litter I bought a couple of weeks ago and it works great. Don't smash it up. Just give it a good rinse and you should be good to go. Good luck!
    If you want to experiment more with it, just rinse it and then leave it in a bowl of water for a couple of days. It will not degrade. At least when I tested it.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eddie

i use the same. Its fine. You need to rinse it out for about an hour. I stuff about half the basket amount in pantyhose and rinse and rinse and rinse. Then add the laterite, floreite red ect. Then top off with kitty liter and rinse again till you get little to no sediment down the drain. Its a pain but it works.

Real Name
    Heather

Quote Originally Posted by shime View Post
    i use the same. Its fine. You need to rinse it out for about an hour.
    I've seen videos stating/showing the same. Folks putting it in 5 gallon buckets, taking it outside and just letting a hose flush it out for at least an hour or until it runs clear. Is the way I will approach it when it comes time to fill my baskets.
    Every Day is a Bonus!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cesar A. Castillo

Quote Originally Posted by Luke in Phoenix View Post
    Hey Cesar,

I used this special Kitty litter I bought a couple of weeks ago and it works great. Don't smash it up. Just give it a good rinse and you should be good to go. Good luck!
    If you want to experiment more with it, just rinse it and then leave it in a bowl of water for a couple of days. It will not degrade. At least when I tested it.
    I currently am doing that. I put it in a bucket and I will check on it on Monday. Thanks.

Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast