ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 12 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cesar A. Castillo

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Thank you all for the encouragement. Maybe I panicked? It's my first kitty litter and Dr. Novak's says on his videos that this stuff does not melt. Of course mine melted if I rubbed it, but I was expecting it to not melt at all in anyway. Was expecting too much?

Has anyone messed with this kitty litter after it's been underwater for some time?

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Quote Originally Posted by Tindomul View Post
    Thank you all for the encouragement. Maybe I panicked? It's my first kitty litter and Dr. Novak's says on his videos that this stuff does not melt. Of course mine melted if I rubbed it, but I was expecting it to not melt at all in anyway. Was expecting too much?

Has anyone messed with this kitty litter after it's been underwater for some time?
    I had trouble finding it too, everywhere had the clumping kind or non-clumping with fragrance in it thanks for the tips on not Abusing the litter after it's wet. As far as other media I have a hunch that other stuff would work. I have API aquatic plant media that i was tempted to try. that would hold up underwater and provide a substrate for the bacteria grow on but I'm going to do his recommendation. I base that thought about API media would work on the professor's comments to a viewer of one one of his videos asking if he could do something similar to the plant media. professor said you can if you want or just save money and use litter.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty Sphynx View Post
    $2.25 ea. @ ponddeals.com
    Thanks, Google must not have been paid enough by them to send me there

Quote Originally Posted by Kareen15 View Post
    Pond biz.com has all sizes baskets
    Thanks, ordered some

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cesar A. Castillo

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    I had trouble finding it too, everywhere had the clumping kind or non-clumping with fragrance in it thanks for the tips on not Abusing the litter after it's wet. As far as other media I have a hunch that other stuff would work. I have API aquatic plant media that i was tempted to try. that would hold up underwater and provide a substrate for the bacteria grow on but I'm going to do his recommendation. I base that thought about API media would work on the professor's comments to a viewer of one one of his videos asking if he could do something similar to the plant media. professor said you can if you want or just save money and use litter.
    Great to know. I missed that bit.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cesar A. Castillo

Ok, so I definitely panicked. It's already looking much better. I'll better more reliable results by Monday.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    scott

I went for this, bit more expensive though.
    http://www.kaizenbonsai.com/moler-te...rb-bonsai-soil

Registered Member

Yeah, I freaked out too when the litter melted in my hand. I just bought one of the pond planter baskets at Lowe's for $4 (10x10x5.25). Layered in the kitty litter of 2 inches then an inch of Flourite red and then the rest litter. I then ran a hose over it to rinse it out and let it set for a hour or two to drain then stretched pantyhose over over the top to keep it from going everywhere. It's been 45 days now, and mine seems to be starting to kick off. My nitrate readings are coming in lower than usual.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eddie

heres a link to baskets i use. I drilled some extra holes to the top. these come out the cheapest ive seen so far.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Registered Member Luke in Phoenix's Avatar
    Real Name
    Luke

Quote Originally Posted by gators111 View Post
    Yeah, I freaked out too when the litter melted in my hand. I just bought one of the pond planter baskets at Lowe's for $4 (10x10x5.25). Layered in the kitty litter of 2 inches then an inch of Flourite red and then the rest litter. I then ran a hose over it to rinse it out and let it set for a hour or two to drain then stretched pantyhose over over the top to keep it from going everywhere. It's been 45 days now, and mine seems to be starting to kick off. My nitrate readings are coming in lower than usual.
    Good to see the positive results!

Registered Member Luke in Phoenix's Avatar
    Real Name
    Luke

Dr. Novak commented on the Lukeway BCB canister filter here: https://youtu.be/4uefD7acEiI

If you don't have a sump. This could be an option.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cesar A. Castillo

I saw that video. His wet clay looks so dark compared to mine. I think he mentions mixing it with flourite?

Real Name
    Shari

Quote Originally Posted by Luke in Phoenix View Post
    Dr. Novak commented on the Lukeway BCB canister filter here: https://youtu.be/4uefD7acEiI

If you don't have a sump. This could be an option.
    That’s awesome Luke. I’m going to makeshift one of my canister filters like yours. I will also use a filter booster as a mechanical filter ahead of this..

bcb cylinder.JPG

made two of these. the kitty litter though rinsed dust free, released a lot of small grit washed out the plastic canvas holes.
    wondering if some finer mesh would work better. these took long to make so ordered baskets, those look like even larger holes.

Real Name
    Heather

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    bcb cylinder.JPG

made two of these. the kitty litter though rinsed dust free, released a lot of small grit washed out the plastic canvas holes.
    wondering if some finer mesh would work better. these took long to make so ordered baskets, those look like even larger holes.
    I bought some of that fine plastic mesh from Joann's, to cut to size & line the baskets for just this reason.
    Every Day is a Bonus!

Page 12 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast