ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 15 of 53 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cesar A. Castillo

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Quote Originally Posted by farebox View Post
    Okay did nitrate (NO3) test today, result: near 0ppm. Started Anoxic Filtration 1/8/18. Looking good!
    Nice! And the only variable that you have changed in your tank is the addition of the BCB's?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eddie

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Quote Originally Posted by shime View Post
    Nitrates are about 40-50 on the sechem tester but most likely off the chart. I can get maybe 1 more test of nitrate tomorrow as im pretty much out of that nitrite 1 bottle till Sat.
    about 25-30 on the scale today. So I guess its actually more then 10ppm a day nitrates filtered since yesterday was full purple.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cesar A. Castillo

Hi All,

I have had the bcb baskets up and running for 1 week. The results are already noticeable. I have not done a water change on the 55 gallon tank and nitrate levels dropped by ~10 points. Ammonia is not detectable. It was detectable last Friday at .25 ppm. I compared my aquarium water and distilled water side-by-side to make sure that I was not going colour blind. The results were identical for both tubes. This tells me that the bcb baskets are at least processing the ammonia as promised.

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Update on my 125 gallon discus tank since started using the "Anoxic Filtration System" on 1/5/18. So far I'm 100% committed, the proof is the pudding: https://youtu.be/1N5i6RgOXU0

[QUOTE=farebox;1281614]Update on my 125 gallon discus tank since started using the "Anoxic Filtration System" on 1/5/18. So far I'm 100% committed, the proof is the pudding: https://youtu.be/1N5i6RgOXU0[/QUOTE

I’m convinced... been thinking about starting some baskets. I’ve got an empty refugium in the sump. After watching from the shadows I’m in.

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

I think I'm all good with this system, check this out: https://youtu.be/UprJx83WWsc

Registered Member Luke in Phoenix's Avatar
    Real Name
    Luke

It seems like there is almost an immediate benefit when adding the baskets before the anoxic bacteria has even had time to setup fully. This could be from the absorption properties of the clay? Almost like adding a large amount of carbon

Real Name
    Luke

It seems like there is almost an immediate benefit when adding the baskets even before the anoxic bacteria has had time to fully colonize. This could be due to the absorption properties of the clay? Similar to adding a large quantity of carbon

Real Name
    Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    I’m convinced... been thinking about starting some baskets. I’ve got an empty refugium in the sump. After watching from the shadows I’m in.

Awesome. Let us know how it goes! One of the reasons I started this thread was in hopes of helping others

I think I'm all good with this system, check this out: https://youtu.be/UprJx83WWsc
    Roland, if i ever saw that on my tank, i'd be shocked!!! i'll test today to see if i notice anything, i've been running them about 1 week now

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    Roland, if i ever saw that on my tank, i'd be shocked!!! i'll test today to see if i notice anything, i've been running them about 1 week now
    i haven't notice any difference after 1 week. but i wasn't expecting to either.

That could very well explain that no NH3/NH4 is being converted to NO3. Please test for Nh3/NH4 and let us know.

Thanks

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Farebox, were your BCB seeded before you added them? Three weeks seems like an extraordinarily short time to establish the required bacterial populations. Zeolite/kitty litter will adsorb the ammonia/ammonium and hold it there.

I guess my concern over the short term is the possibility that the clay is simply grabbing the ammonium and the plants are using up all the nitrate. When the exchange capacity of the zeolite/clay is exhausted you might experience a mini-cycle.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eddie

A little update on the bcb farm.
    40 gallon breeder
    20 total baskets total
    -10 bcb baskets from OCT 2017 Fully mature
    -10 bcb baskets from DEC 2017 1 month maturing
    Ammonia tested on api
    Nitrates tested on seachem

1/30/18
    100% Waterchange after ph crash
    Starting from 0
    Added ¼ cup ammonia
    Reading from 1 hour after dosage
    4ppm ammonia
    0 nitrates
    Ph test didnt bother till it settles. Ph skyrockets from dosage

1/31/18
    2ppm ammonia
    7.5 nitrates
    Ph 7.4
    Tds 78

2/1/18
    .5 ammonia
    5 nitrates
    Ph 7.4
    Tds 78

will most likely be zero tonight or tomorrow am
    Last edited by shime; 02-01-2018 at 12:53 PM.

Registered Member Shaun's Discus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Shaun Stoddart

Nice to see a few folks interested in Anoxic Filtration System. Just waiting for things to mature and see the results of my tank water. Good luck to you all with your systems and thanks to Dr. Novak for informing us about this. Also Shaun from down under, how's your discus setup progressing? Sure would like to hear from ya my mate.....
    Hey buddy,, all going good. Doing one w/c a week now abt 70%. No3 is 5ppm weekly but I still have more bcb's playing catchup. I have one running in my 220g system with my Oscar, this tank has no nitrate after a week but I still give her a bit of fresh H2O anyways. Also just converted my 80g Plec tank to a sump system and am in the process of building a few bcb's for it. Long live the Anoxic filtration system and to hell with the nitrogen cycle as we know it!

Page 15 of 53 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast