ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 29 of 53 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Real Name
    Rob

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Quote Originally Posted by Luke in Phoenix View Post
    Is there anything under your BCB baskets to make sure water can flow under them as well? Like egg crate or something?

I can't believe I missed that...!

Ta very much...

Real Name
    Heather

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Here's an extremely raw video showing the construction of a BCB, and my feeble attempt to explain the science, lol. Please pardon my errors in terminology; I did this in one take, in pain, battling the video bombing of one of my sphynx cats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbTCPQ9U71E
    Every Day is a Bonus!

Real Name
    Rob

Ok, it's day 7 of my cycle. Ammonia remains at 4ppm and no sign of nitrites or nitrates yet. Not recalling anyone else starting a fresh cycle with BCB's, but any thoughts very welcome? Or am I just being incredibly impatient.....?

Registered Member Luke in Phoenix's Avatar
    Real Name
    Luke

Seems like you should at least have some nitrites... Did you "seed" the tank in any way?

Real Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Luke in Phoenix View Post
    Seems like you should at least have some nitrites... Did you "seed" the tank in any way?
    No. Just added hh ammonia. I've read that even seeded cycles can take up to 10 days, so not too concerned. I'm going to ask my LFS for some media to help it along, and put a bag of fish food in there as well. I'm not going to try chemical additives. I'd rather start again, as I disapprove of this method.

Real Name
    Heather

Quote Originally Posted by lastflea View Post
    Ok, it's day 7 of my cycle. Ammonia remains at 4ppm and no sign of nitrites or nitrates yet. Not recalling anyone else starting a fresh cycle with BCB's, but any thoughts very welcome? Or am I just being incredibly impatient.....?
    We started our cycle with the BCB's (11 to start; just added the 3 more at the 4 month mark). We had the initial ammonia "spike" very early on, but have never registered any nitrites nor nitrates. To this day, our readings are 0s across the board.

92 gal planted tank
    20 gal sump
    7 discus
    10 rummies
    3 sae
    3 corys
    2 plecos
    PH constant 6.5

The AFS handles the load like a champ.
    Every Day is a Bonus!

Real Name
    Heather

Correction: Not entirely zero readings... this is today's results just prior to a spot cleaning:

IMG_8979.jpg
    Every Day is a Bonus!

Real Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Salty Sphynx View Post
    We started our cycle with the BCB's (11 to start; just added the 3 more at the 4 month mark). We had the initial ammonia "spike" very early on, but have never registered any nitrites nor nitrates
    Glad to hear someone cycled successfully. Thanks Heather. Can you tell me, how long before your ammonia started dropping, if you can remember? I'm on day 8, and no sign of ammonia dropping from 4ppm

Real Name
    Heather

Glad to hear someone cycled successfully. Thanks Heather. Can you tell me, how long before your ammonia started dropping, if you can remember? I'm on day 8, and no sign of ammonia dropping from 4ppm
    We did a 15% water change when we saw the spike (at about 30 days in); ammonia readings were 0 within 24 hours and have remained at/or very near 0 ever since. We didn't add any ammonia to the tank. Started with a fishless cycle, converted to planted, fish-in after 2 weeks.

Here's the 4 month AFS update with our 3 newbies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISvZFB5JaWQ
    Every Day is a Bonus!

Real Name
    Rob

We did a 15% water change when we saw the spike (at about 30 days in); ammonia readings were 0 within 24 hours and have remained at/or very near 0 ever since. We didn't add any ammonia to the tank. Started with a fishless cycle, converted to planted, fish-in after 2 weeks.

Here's the 4 month AFS update with our 3 newbies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISvZFB5JaWQ
    So you did a "fish-in" cycle??

Real Name
    Heather

So you did a "fish-in" cycle??
    Yes, basically. We started the cycle fishless, with just the plenum, sand, rocks & wood... but our impatience got the best of us and we switched to fish-in with plants after 2 weeks. It really seemed to jump start things, and water tests have been virtually perfect since day 45
    Every Day is a Bonus!

Real Name
    Rob

Yes, basically. We started the cycle fishless, with just the plenum, sand, rocks & wood... but our impatience got the best of us and we switched to fish-in with plants after 2 weeks. It really seemed to jump start things, and water tests have been virtually perfect since day 45
    Wow....!! There must have been some seeding going on with the plenum substrate, but none the less, these are pretty amazing results....

Real Name
    Rob

Made a bit more space in the middle chamber for the BCB's and started the cycle over again. Also popping into my LFS to ask for some media.

My return pump is only 3000lph and the tank around 760l. This is what came with the tank and was going to upgrade at some point, but then thought it would suit the BCB's more, because of reduced water flow. Anyone think this might actually be an issue?

Real Name
    Heather

Made a bit more space in the middle chamber for the BCB's and started the cycle over again. Also popping into my LFS to ask for some media.

My return pump is only 3000lph and the tank around 760l. This is what came with the tank and was going to upgrade at some point, but then thought it would suit the BCB's more, because of reduced water flow. Anyone think this might actually be an issue?
    Our pump is 3170gph and we run it at 50% power. The important thing is that the pump be in a separate chamber from the BCBs - you can run it at a nice clip as long as the water in the actual basket chamber is low flow.
    Every Day is a Bonus!

Real Name
    Heather

Wow....!! There must have been some seeding going on with the plenum substrate, but none the less, these are pretty amazing results....
    Hubby reminded me that we did add Seachem Stability just prior to adding the sacrificial fish for the fish-in cycle... so am sure that is what helped the initial cycling.
    Every Day is a Bonus!

Page 29 of 53 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast