ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 49 of 53 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mogens Bang Olesen

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Hi it works wery wery well, I have changed to a litter i got in Germany. I have a 720 ltr tank with 28 discus i am feedeing 4 times a day i am changing water 30% 1 time a month, bare bottom and changing filter socs two times a week.
    The fish is growing fine. And they are so helty and very fine.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

I am setting up a 120 with 40 gal sump. What I am doing is putting 2 layers or 1/4 inch thick egg crate from Home Depot (misnomer, this is the stuff they put in drop ceilings where the lights are). I put about 3 liters of denitrate in the little cubes. Flow should be low as 3 of 4 sides are covered so theoretically I should create locally anoxic conditions. Will see if this does anything as I am setting up 2 and the second sump will have the egg crates in case it works but empty in case it does nothing. Will give it about 6 weeks and see if nitrates vary. If no effects will have room in the sump to add some BCBs and see if that helps. Kind of wonder if this is a waste as I will lose the best indicator for when to do water changes..........

There are far too many pages to read here, but I wanted to add my .02 about denitrifiers.

I built one many years ago using a 4” ABS tube at 20” length capped at both ends, basic biomedia inside. I had a coiled airline that “wrapped” the inside of the tube as many times as possible (20-25) then released at bottom of biomedia. This feed water then basically percolated up through the biomedia and exited out another air tubing back to aquarium.

The key to proper function is fine tuning the flow rate such that it is slow enough to become fully anaerobic, but not so slow as to be non-effective.

The unit, when ran too fast actually became a SUPER nitrifier like an overactive dirty wet dry trickle filter, pumping out masses of No3. When run too slow the water was quite clear of nitrate but was prohibitively slow.

In the end the Goldilocks flow rate to media amount/contact time was too tricky and finicky for me to maintain it long term, but the science is sound, and with a number of tall columns run like this in parallel I’m sure you could denitrify a decent bioload without any WC at all... but you would not be addressing kH buffering, pH management or macro/micronutrients of the water at all.

Registered Member

Hi everyone. I’m very interested in this anoxic filtration and would like to pick your brains. Let’s say I have an area in the sump of 400mm x 400mm x 400mm and I build a basket to fill that space nicely with water flow all around it. What is better that one size or say 8 smaller baskets that fill the same area. The reason why I am asking This is because wouldn’t the 8 smaller baskets which will all be separated “with 6 sides open to flow” have more surface area for more flow and more ammonia absorption than one big cube?

Registered Member

hello everyone,
    Can i use hard-akadama soil or kanuma soil instead of kitty clay? I saw they have quite the same composition from website :http://www.tachikawa-heiwa.com/Introduction.html

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiebok View Post
    Hi everyone. I’m very interested in this anoxic filtration and would like to pick your brains. Let’s say I have an area in the sump of 400mm x 400mm x 400mm and I build a basket to fill that space nicely with water flow all around it. What is better that one size or say 8 smaller baskets that fill the same area. The reason why I am asking This is because wouldn’t the 8 smaller baskets which will all be separated “with 6 sides open to flow” have more surface area for more flow and more ammonia absorption than one big cube?
    I doubt anybody knows for sure (ie. has done A/B tests to compare performance), however this is probably the best reference:
    http://www.mankysanke.co.uk/html/bui...ic_system.html

The optimum size of the biocenosis basket is 30 cm x 30 cm x 20 cm. It’s possible to use smaller baskets but they will have less room inside them for anoxic conditions to develop so they won’t be as effective as the optimum size.
    However...

These dimensions aren’t crucial, they are only for guidance ... Any other convenient shape would be just as suitable as long as all the baskets are completely submerged and that water can flow gently through the pond without disturbing the contents of the baskets.

The anoxic zone starts fairly close to the outside edges of the basket - see section "Inside a biocenosis basket"
    http://www.mankysanke.co.uk/html/anoxic_filtration.html

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiebok View Post
    I doubt anybody knows for sure (ie. has done A/B tests to compare performance), however this is probably the best reference:
    http://www.mankysanke.co.uk/html/bui...ic_system.html

The optimum size of the biocenosis basket is 30 cm x 30 cm x 20 cm. It’s possible to use smaller baskets but they will have less room inside them for anoxic conditions to develop so they won’t be as effective as the optimum size.
    However...

These dimensions aren’t crucial, they are only for guidance ... Any other convenient shape would be just as suitable as long as all the baskets are completely submerged and that water can flow gently through the pond without disturbing the contents of the baskets.

The anoxic zone starts fairly close to the outside edges of the basket - see section "Inside a biocenosis basket"
    http://www.mankysanke.co.uk/html/anoxic_filtration.html

Registered Member

Smile Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

I have spent many hours the last couple of days reading through this thread. I do not have Discus but admire the beautiful fish that many of you post. I have a 46 gallon bow front I received as a Fathers Day gift 3 years ago. In the first week of July this year , I broke said aquarium down and utilized Dr. Novak's plenum BCB design using a skimmer intake connected to the UGF plate connected to a Cobalt EXT canister filer(206 GPH) Inside of filter, 3 different mechanical filter pads,course, medium and fine in the first basket. The other 3 basket I used lava rock I busted up into small pieces for BIO filtration. I had kept the canister filter running using old aquarium water in 5 gallon bucket while rescaping aquarium with Lava rock.I let the tank mature for 6 weeks before testing with API test kit . 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates, fish went in. Now a month later, I have never had such crystal clear water,I have yet to get a reading above 0 ppm for ammonia, nitrites and and only a slight bit of Nitrates showing up above 0 if my "cheaters" are helping my color rendition of the chart. Tank is currently stocked with 6 Green Flame Tetras, 3 Serpae Tetra, 6 Black Neon,4 Bloodfin Tetra, and 2 Panda Cory. I'm happy I came across this BCB filtration method as it has reduced my tank maintenance drastically. Very little algae as of yet. Just wanted to share my experience and wondering why nobody has posted for 5 months.

Registered Member

Anoxic filtration as described by the you tuber is simply not true. You simply can not get "anoxic" in a 4" basket. The whole thing is really funny the way he explains it in his videos. Bunch of big words without any real meaning.

Real Name
    Willie

Totally agree. He lists 0.5 ppm oxygen as the threshold for anoxia. The maximum of dissolved oxygen in water is only 30 ppm. Denitrification is an anaerobic reaction. I've taken graduate level courses of nitrogen metabolism and no anaerobes can metabolize in such high (0.5 ppm) oxygen levels.

There's zero data on whether the system works, other than that his fish looks good. Likely he's measuring low nitrates because the plants are taking it up. That does not mean there's denitrification going on. Anoxia or anoxic is a precise medical term. It's not used in microbiology.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by RNJ View Post
    Good read. Pretty much what I always thought.

Registered Member Luke in Phoenix's Avatar
    Real Name
    Luke

I'm not going to argue the science behind it; only that it worked for me and others. Even if it only reduces your needed water changes by half, that's much more time enjoying your fish instead of hauling buckets of water. I still like algae scrubbers but I would not dismiss this idea so quickly.
    Either way, have fun!
    - Luke

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Just the other day I made a BCB for my sump.This will be a second try at anoxic filteration, I was able to get some laterite for the basket. First thing I observed was the discus fish color and behavior change in the last 48 hrs after installing the basket in my sump. Also aftee viewing Dr. Noval video on him making a basket for his ADA filter. If he spent that kind of money for a cansiter filter and throw in some kitty litter, well I would give it try again. Sure would be nice to hear from the folks that are using anoxic filtration on thier tanks and on how things are doing.

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Hey you all please check his video out on anxoic filteration system: https://youtu.be/jfPy8HGxSmA

Page 49 of 53 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast