ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red Sea Reefer update- 6 months in

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Red Sea Reefer update- 6 months in

Lovely reef you got there Jenene .
    Your zoas looking and progressing great .

Fellow reefers from my domestic forum use some kind of blue filter lenses(i guess they are cheap on eBay or amazon ) as an addition , when they take shots of their reefs .It takes away the "blue hue " from the photos , making the colours look more natural .

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Thanks for the great photos and info from me too (you are making it increasingly more difficult to resist the temptation to take a walk on the salty side). I think I will follow Al's example!

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Wow Jenene.

Thanks for answering all my questions. You sure have given me lots to think about. I don't think i'm ready to give up my many trips as yet, and will probably put a reef tank off until i either settle down a bit, or gain more volunteers to help.

I see you have moved some things around, and that everything is thriving. I'm really impressed with how much the Passion Fruit Palys has spread. Obviously you are doing all the right things....Sit back...pour yourself your favorite beverage...and Enjoy!
    Thanks so much Joe,

Thank you for the kind words on the tank. Yes, you are absolutely right. I do tend to move things around as they vie for space or I have something new moving in. I’ve learned to grow things that spread -on their own rock so I can contain them better and move them without cutting them off their bases.

For now everything seems well balanced. I can never take things for granted and need to keep up the effort and care to keep it thriving.

Something lively and colorful is a great way to enjoy the beginning and end of the day with though. It lifts the spirits and clears the mind.

Thanks again. I hope you find time to experience this side of the fish keeping hobby some day.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Lovely reef you got there Jenene .
    Your zoas looking and progressing great .

Fellow reefers from my domestic forum use some kind of blue filter lenses(i guess they are cheap on eBay or amazon ) as an addition , when they take shots of their reefs .It takes away the "blue hue " from the photos , making the colours look more natural .
    Thanks Filip,
    It’s good to see you back hanging around again!

Yes I’ve heard of the filters. I have my tank lights set a bit bluer than the whiter spectrum. I really enjoy the phosphorescent colors that really pop in this spectrum. I also have an aquarium cam app that allows you to use filters. I didn’t try to filter out the blue but capture how they appear to me daily with the lights on them. I tend to keep the white red and green lights down to limit algae growth too.

I do enjoy them in their natural state as well. An experienced photographer can do miracles with coral subjects.

It was great to hear from you. Thanks for stopping in!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    Thanks for the great photos and info from me too (you are making it increasingly more difficult to resist the temptation to take a walk on the salty side). I think I will follow Al's example!
    Ha ha! Thanks Paul!

I’ve reslly enjoyed this side of the hobby. There’s a continual learning curve here. You could do this your entire life and always find more to learn.

It is a balancing act. If one element is off it throws everything else off and the result runs from the weirdest algae blooms to massive die offs. I’ve lost a few things along the way but for the most part it’s bern very rewarding.

I encourage anyone thinking about starting a reef to read up, and better yet find people in the hobby to exchange ideas with. As with discus the fish bring in all sorts of new friends.

Thanks for your note, it’s very much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Your tank is fantastic. I’ve been tempted a couple times to try my hand at it. Seeing what you’ve done tempts me once more.
    Patty
    Thanks Patty! If I can do it anyone can.

Someday when you are ready, ask lots of questions just like the discus tank. Then research what you like, and what can live in such a small place without kiiling each other.
    They don’t play fair... ever.

Good to hear from you Patty!

Real Name
    Ricardo

I finally remember your tank Jenene! TFS. It looks great. I have been getting a rather small itch to start up this tank that has been sitting empty for 2+ years now...lol. People have reached out to me SO many times asking when i am going to get it up and running. Luckily for me, i have a lot of of fellow reefers around me and many are willing to give me frags to start off. I just can't pull the trigger. I need to do the plumbing but am super lazy lol.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Your tank is fantastic. I’ve been tempted a couple times to try my hand at it. Seeing what you’ve done tempts me once more.
    Patty
    Thanks so much Patty, it’s been incredible really.. I haven’t been here much between maintaining the tanks and work so I apologize for the very late reply. One thing I keep hearing ... and I’ve lived this...is if you are serious about starting a reef. Start bigger. The Red Sea 43 was cute at first but grew out of itself in 18 months... hence the next chapter. It’s a good one.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12