ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heater Question

Registered Member

Default Heater Question

I need to get my 29 gallon hospital tank up to 100 degrees when I get a sick fish. Two weeks at that temp seems to solve most issues. Saved my orange fish last March. My current 150W heater cant get the temp higher than 95, what brand or size of heater should I use to get the temp to 100 degrees?

Real Name
    Kevin

Default Re: Heater Question

A 250 should easily get that high. I use the eheim Jaeger's in my breeding tanks. Be careful about treating sick fish with high heat though , if the fish is fighting a bacteria infection you will quickly kill it.

Real Name
    TONY

Truthfully a constant 90/95 degrees is more than enough to kill most ickies without super stressing an already weakened ill fish. I too use Eheim Jager w/ Jehmco Controller. "T"
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick
    "Knowledge Gained & Not Shared Is Knowledge Lost"

Quote Originally Posted by tonytheboss1 View Post
    Truthfully a constant 90/95 degrees is more than enough to kill most ickies without super stressing an already weakened ill fish. I too use Eheim Jager w/ Jehmco Controller. "T"
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by fishbubbles View Post
    Be careful about treating sick fish with high heat though , if the fish is fighting a bacteria infection you will quickly kill it.
    This ^

That being said, I like Aqueon Pro's (old Marineland Stealth's, before they were garbage). Beananimal (the overflow guy) has a nifty formula for calculating heater size:

((Desired temp - room temp)/10) * (tank size in gallons) * (3 watts minimum)

Ex: ((100°F-72°F)/10)*(29 gallons)*(3 watts) = 243.6 watts

Good luck treating here and I hope it works out for you. High heat can be a double edged sword because anything a bit above 100 f. and you can get fried fish instead of recovery.

Please keep us posted. I haven't used extreme heat therapy in years precisely because I lost two beautiful fish years ago when the heater went a few degrees above 100 f.

Registered Member

What I have experienced is that even with a 300W heater in the 29 gallon tank, it will not heat the water beyond the 90 degree ceiling it is designed for. It seems there is a sensor on it that shuts it off if the temp goes above 90 degrees. I need to find a heater that does not do this.

It is not only about the size of the heater, you can put a 1000W heater in a 20 G tank and it will not get it above the temp the built in thermostat allows it to. So you need to look the max temp the built in thermostat allows a certain heater to heat the water and then size it according to the criteria mentioned above (water volume and temp difference).

Most titanium heaters lack an internal thermostat. This let's you hook it up to whatever gizmo you want (Ranco, Inkbird, etc.) at whatever temperature you want.

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by tonytheboss1 View Post
    Do you know if plecos and corys can handle 95 degrees? They say plecs are supposed to be at 68-82 degrees F. I've never had my tank over 88.

Cories? Maybe sterbai, eversi, a couple others. It's not unusual for them to be in the high 80's in the wild, but 95°F is really pushing it.

Plecos, depends on what type. Most hypancistrus should be fine with it, but it's certainly not ideal. Make sure the water has a boiling source of aeration.

What's the goal behind 95°F?

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    Cories? Maybe sterbai, eversi, a couple others. It's not unusual for them to be in the high 80's in the wild, but 95°F is really pushing it.

Plecos, depends on what type. Most hypancistrus should be fine with it, but it's certainly not ideal. Make sure the water has a boiling source of aeration.

What's the goal behind 95°F?
    Thank you Adam. I won't go above 90 then. My new discus are stressed with clamped fins. My water parameters are good (zero ammonia, nitrate, nitrite) and I always do 80% w/c daily. After reading this thread I thought maybe raising the temp might help. They're at 86 right now. They have a danner pond pump with this 8"bubbler and the sump waterfall also adds some oxygen.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    Most titanium heaters lack an internal thermostat.
    Where can I get this titanium heater, Amazon?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Lucas Smith

BulkReefSupply has them on sale often. I use kensfish.com and his prices are always great. Sometimes he is out of stock so I go to BulkReef

I've heard good things about the Finnex titanium heaters but never bothered trying them. I'd start with (this) and a Ranco ETC-111000 controller.

Forgot to ask, what is your room temperature?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast