ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heater Question

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Heater Question

I use a titanium heater in my quarantine/hospital tank to bring the temperature up. It can do 100F without getting above that.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    I've heard good things about the Finnex titanium heaters but never bothered trying them. I'd start with (this) and a Ranco ETC-111000 controller.

Forgot to ask, what is your room temperature?
    Quote Originally Posted by CammieTime View Post
    I need to get my 29 gallon hospital tank up to 100 degrees when I get a sick fish. Two weeks at that temp seems to solve most issues. Saved my orange fish last March. My current 150W heater cant get the temp higher than 95, what brand or size of heater should I use to get the temp to 100 degrees?
    I recommend Finnex. Mine lasted longer than all my other heaters and was also more powerful even though it was the same wattage. Mine went out due to user error not manufacture problem. It came out of the water and fried otherwise I'd still have it. I love their digital controller for regular use. I don't think it goes up to 100 degrees but it had a loud alarm that goes off if the temp gets too high or too low (you set where you want it to be). After my heater went out I still am using the controller as a thermometer and the alarm goes off even without the heating element attached.

Sorry for butting in on your thread with my question yesterday.
    Last edited by HappyFace; 01-14-2018 at 10:30 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I use a titanium heater in my quarantine/hospital tank to bring the temperature up. It can do 100F without getting above that.

Willie
    What brand and wattage?

Real Name
    Zac

Quote Originally Posted by HappyFace View Post
    Thank you Adam. I won't go above 90 then. My new discus are stressed with clamped fins. My water parameters are good (zero ammonia, nitrate, nitrite) and I always do 80% w/c daily. After reading this thread I thought maybe raising the temp might help. They're at 86 right now. They have a danner pond pump with this 8"bubbler and the sump waterfall also adds some oxygen.
    Hiedi, raising the temp will only help with internal parasites, if you are not sure what is wrong with the fish I don't think it would be advisable to use heat treatment because if it has a bacterial infection heat tratment could potentially kill your fish. If you haven't done so already, please fill out a disease questionnaire. Also, do you have a microscope? if so this is the best method and only accurate means of identifying parasites or bacterial infection.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12