AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Discus and feeding

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: New Discus and feeding

Do you plan to QT the two orders separately in two tanks?If not your not really QT anything at all.Read post # 9 carefully.Discus won't be like any other fish that you may have kept in he past.One reliable source is the way to go.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

I am able to do two separate tanks. That’s not a problem.

Real Name
    Mike

If I read you correctly, you are going to put your new discus in QT with the old water and old filter media? There is no reason to ever use old water. Using old media will expose new stock to old contaminants. Your QT should be new, clean and fish-less cycled in a perfect world. In your case, you are better off doing large wc's until the cycle catches up with prime to condition the water before using old media.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

This makes sense. I will have it set up that way and do constant water changes. Not a problem at all. And each set of fish will be in their own QT. Discus Madness will get their own separate from Chicago Discus. I really appreciate how helpful everyone has been.
    Last edited by CoasterCyrus; 11-14-2017 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CoasterCyrus View Post
    This makes sense. I will have it set up that way and do constant water changes. Not a problem at all. And each set of fish will be in their own QT. Discus Madness will get their own separate from Chicago Discus. I really appreciate how helpful everyone has been.
    It's more work but better safe than sorry. Wish you success and look forward to seeing your results
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Mike

Note for next time: on the Kenny stock. If you let him know what you want, he can hold it for you on the next order. Sometimes it is better to wait on what you want and get all stock from the same trusted source.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

I found some good information online. I see that Al does a dip in the Methalyn blue. How long is that dip for? And then the QT should have 1 tablespoon of salt per 10 gallon to assist with stress. Other than that, it’s just paying attention to stool and behavior, correct? And reacting with medication as needed? Just in case I’ve ordered: focus, kanaplex, metroplex, methylene blue, stability, and prime. I couldn’t find a good dewormer. Open to suggestions. I was thinking API General cure but wanted to be certain.

PS the discus I added to the main tank has started eating this morning and has brightened up his colors.
    Last edited by CoasterCyrus; 11-14-2017 at 12:39 PM.

Real Name
    Kevin

Levamisole is a popular choice for a dewormer, I believe that Al has some good info somewhere on here about using it. Take a look at this thread too, worth the watch. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...TCH-THIS-VIDEO!

Real Name
    Phil

Are you planning the two new groups in one tank or seperate. ??

You should really cancel one order and stick to one source. All the jumping around is going to cause you issues

Real Name
    Phil

I'm sorry I missed page 2 :/

Quote Originally Posted by CoasterCyrus View Post
    I found some good information online. I see that Al does a dip in the Methalyn blue. How long is that dip for? And then the QT should have 1 tablespoon of salt per 10 gallon to assist with stress. Other than that, it’s just paying attention to stool and behavior, correct? And reacting with medication as needed? Just in case I’ve ordered: focus, kanaplex, metroplex, methylene blue, stability, and prime. I couldn’t find a good dewormer. Open to suggestions. I was thinking API General cure but wanted to be certain.

PS the discus I added to the main tank has started eating this morning and has brightened up his colors.
    I don't know that you need to medicate as part of qt. I am sure Josie and Miranda does this for you upon import of the fish. I know Kenny does for sure so I would have to imagine they do as well. For discus madness I cannot say. I believe there is a sticky somewhere for qt process.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

I’m setting up 2 20 gal tanks. Each with their own sponge filters rated up to 80 gallons, heater, and airline tubing for the filters. Will be doing daily 50% water changes. They will both be set up with new RODI water with Discus trace to replace what’s lost in the to treatment. Will keep the new fish in quarantine as long as necessary before adding to main tank. Also keeping an eye on the main display tank since I made the mistake of not QT the one new Discus. He’s looking great and eating now.

Does all of this sound ok?

Real Name
    Mike

With a new QT tank and new filters, you may want to up the daily wc's to 75% since there is no cycle yet. Otherwise, clean water and keep an eye on them for 4-6 weeks in QT. Not sure RODI water is necessary...depends on the parameters of your regular tap water after it is aged/aerated/heated 24 hours and treated with water conditioner.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

The water quality of the tap is so bad we aren’t even supposed to drink it lol. I’ll stick with the RODI. And I can definitely do the 75% daily.

Also, can someone tell me why I wouldn’t want to use a seeded filter? Wouldn’t that help more than hurt?
    Last edited by CoasterCyrus; 11-15-2017 at 06:04 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

everyone already arrived this morning looking pretty good. They are floating now and then will be drip acclimated to their quarantines.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast