AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Discus and feeding

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

Default New Discus and feeding

Hello. I’m not totally new to discus but I’m still very much a beginner.i know fish usually take a couple days to eat while settling in, but I guess I just want my mind to be at ease. I purchased a discus yesterday and he hasn’t quite taken to food yet. Should I just continue to feed the tank regularly and monitor? Thanks so much! I’ve got three more coming tomorrow. Established tank that’s had other companion fish in there for months so everything is great as far as levels go. I figured after they get settled for a day I would do a good 50% WC.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Default Re: New Discus and feeding

Quote Originally Posted by CoasterCyrus View Post
    Hello. I’m not totally new to discus but I’m still very much a beginner.i know fish usually take a couple days to eat while settling in, but I guess I just want my mind to be at ease. I purchased a discus yesterday and he hasn’t quite taken to food yet. Should I just continue to feed the tank regularly and monitor? Thanks so much! I’ve got three more coming tomorrow. Established tank that’s had other companion fish in there for months so everything is great as far as levels go. I figured after they get settled for a day I would do a good 50% WC.

Thanks in advance for the help!
    It takes more than a day and what everyone will tell you is that you should have put that fish in qt as your new arrivals
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    It takes more than a day and what everyone will tell you is that you should have put that fish in qt as your new arrivals
    You’re probably right. No excuse.

You’re probably right. No excuse.
    Where are they from?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Where are they from?
    The ones ordered are coming from somethingsphishy and the one I bought is from a really great LFS.

Real Name
    Mike

Oh boy. You should probably do a search on those discus. Hit up the sponsor section here and take a look at other options. LFS's charge way too much and you will most likely get lower quality.

The ones ordered are coming from somethingsphishy and the one I bought is from a really great LFS.
    I suppose what's done is done but definitely read up on them here. You will find a lot of info and not good

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

Quote Originally Posted by White Worm View Post
    Oh boy. You should probably do a search on those discus. Hit up the sponsor section here and take a look at other options. LFS's charge way too much and you will most likely get lower quality.
    It’s probably a good thing I only got the one then. The reviews from the online store I used look great.

Real Name
    Mike

Since you are a beginner, you should read as much as you can here, especially in the stickies before you go spending any more money on discus. By the sounds of it, you are not quite ready and I see frustration in your future. Buying a few here and there from different sources with no QT tells me you have much to learn. In order to be successful, you need to really know what you are doing and how to prepare for the discus hobby. JMO.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

Discus will eventually teach you two important life lessons:
    1. Patience (don't freak out if they don't eat at the beginning or stop eating, do look for signs and cause but don't act, also don't medicate immediately or expect medications to work over night)
    2. Avoid impulse ( Plan you stock in advance, preferable get them at the same time, don't add new discus (even if it is free), if it is just impossible to avoid the addition, then quarantine.

Well, too late to avoid impulse, but for now just exercise caution..I would recommend not feeding the tank for 2 days..keep water crystal clear ...and watch for possible signs sickness ...I would just add Epsom salt to ease the transition ...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavalsp View Post
    1. Patience (don't freak out if they don't eat at the beginning or stop eating, do look for signs and cause but don't act, also don't medicate immediately or expect medications to work over night)
    2. Avoid impulse ( Plan you stock in advance, preferable get them at the same time, don't add new discus (even if it is free), if it is just impossible to avoid the addition, then quarantine.

Well, too late to avoid impulse, but for now just exercise caution..I would recommend not feeding the tank for 2 days..keep water crystal clear ...and watch for possible signs sickness ...I would just add Epsom salt to ease the transition ...
    I will do that.
    I’ll set up a quarantine for the others coming later this week. That way they have a good chance at a better transition.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavalsp View Post

Great advice. Patience will save lots of headaches in many different ways.

Keep in mind advice given is not to ridicule but it is with your success in mind.

Keep an eye on them and as stated stay on top of your water quality and maintenance

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

I cancelled my order and placed an order with discus madness and another with Chicago Discus. I’ll have my quarantine set up for them. Will use my current tank water and cycled media and keep a close eye on them. Any particular treatment I should use on these fish? Or just watch their behavior initially? I also ordered live Blackworms from a sponsor here on SD to help with feeding.
    Last edited by CoasterCyrus; 11-13-2017 at 09:35 PM.

I cancelled my order and placed an order with discus madness and another with Chicago Discus. I’ll have my quarantine set up for them. Will use my current tank water and cycled media and keep a close eye on them. Any particular treatment I should use on these fish? Or just watch their behavior initially? I also ordered live Blackworms from a sponsor here on SD to help with feeding.
    Chicago discus is a great choice. I think I have seen discus madness on the same list as somethingsphishy though.

Also it's really best to buy them all from once source as you will have potential cross contamination issues with them coming from two different sources

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

Ok. From here on out I will keep that in mind. Now I’m nervous about the one order. I tried ordering from Kenny but the discus I wanted were sold out already.

Quarantine will be good for these new ones coming in. I’ll keep this thread updated on the status of the discus from discus madness.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast