ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Returning Discus to their original colour?

Default Returning Discus to their original colour?

Long story short some months ago I fed some Tetra Colourbits to my squad of discus, among which there is one yellow checkerboard and one snow white discus.

Predictably, my yellow checkerboard turned orange and my snow white turned peach.

I was just wondering if it was possible for them to return to their original colour, if I ceased all feeding of food with red colour enhancers, or if I should just give up and accept my newly coloured fish.

Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: Returning Discus to their original colour?

I could be wrong but I think what's done is done and enjoy them for what they have become

Quote Originally Posted by MilkPudding View Post
    Long story short some months ago I fed some Tetra Colourbits to my squad of discus, among which there is one yellow checkerboard and one snow white discus.

Predictably, my yellow checkerboard turned orange and my snow white turned peach.

I was just wondering if it was possible for them to return to their original colour, if I ceased all feeding of food with red colour enhancers, or if I should just give up and accept my newly coloured fish.
    I've heard they can come back but my golden checkerboard did not
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Hmmm thanks for the perspectives.

Would the size of the discus affect its potential to revert to its original colour at all?

The yellow checkerboard is nearly 5" so I'm not expecting much, but the snow white is 2.5-3" and still has a lot of growing to do. Perhaps the colour will be diluted overtime as it grows?

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Years ago we had a White Butterfly breeding pair that we acquired from another breeder who had fed them food with color enhancers (astaxantin?) One of the pair was pink in color. It took more than a year for him to return to his normal color, but he eventually did. So I think your Snow White will revert given enough time.

Thank you @ChicagoDiscus! I really appreciate it. Hopefully mine reverts...he's still cute of course but I'd prefer him to be his natural colour.