AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 2nd 110 AquaClear or Canister Filter

Registered Member

Default 2nd 110 AquaClear or Canister Filter

I am starting up my 75 gallon BB tank for another attempt at raising discus. Based on my last experience (a disaster) I need more filtration on my tank. I currently have two Hydro V sponge filters and a single 110 AC HOB filter. Water changes will be 50% twice a week and more frequent if needed.

I am debating between a second 110 AC or going the canister filter route. What should I do?

Default Re: 2nd 110 AquaClear or Canister Filter

Quote Originally Posted by CammieTime View Post
    I am starting up my 75 gallon BB tank for another attempt at raising discus. Based on my last experience (a disaster) I need more filtration on my tank. I currently have two Hydro V sponge filters and a single 110 AC HOB filter. Water changes will be 50% twice a week and more frequent if needed.

I am debating between a second 110 AC or going the canister filter route. What should I do?
    I'm currently growing 11 discus in a 75 BB tank. I started raising them from 2.5" - 3" mark about 4 months ago. I got discus from Al Castro and Discus Hans, gave them a good quarantine and mixed them together.

Tank has two sponge filters and Marineland hob filter. I do water changes every day about 30 - 50%. I feed them Beefheart - twice, flake food, tetra bits and fdbw ( 5 feedings a day) tank stays clean. Have a group of endlers to do the clean up job. I have really good results with this routine. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by CammieTime View Post

My guess would be that plenty of filtration but wcs may not be enough depending on size of fish etc. I do 80% every other day in my 75
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    My guess would be that plenty of filtration but wcs may not be enough depending on size of fish etc. I do 80% every other day in my 75
    I killed all my Hans fish last winter via a bacterial outbreak from beef mix, so this time I am only going to feed dry foods (flakes and blackworms) - that should reduce the need for daily water changes.

Real Name
    Phil

I see no reason to add more. You have enough already. I too would add an extra water change and go much lighter on the feedings

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    I see no reason to add more. You have enough already. I too would add an extra water change and go much lighter on the feedings
    + 1,yes you'll need to up your WC's.That's plenty of filtration already.Filters will never replace fresh water,cause they can't get rid of all the DOC/TDS.