ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Cycling question

Real Name
    Amy

Default Cycling question

I have a 30 gallon bb grow out tank that I set up a few weeks ago for 4 juvenile Discus. I put 2 used filter pads from my existing 75 gallon tank in there to quick start the nitrogen cycle. How long should I leave these in the tank? They are turning into a pain in the a** when I am trying to vacuum out the tank.juvie 1.jpg

Default Re: Cycling question

Quote Originally Posted by Naturegirl View Post
    I have a 30 gallon bb grow out tank that I set up a few weeks ago for 4 juvenile Discus. I put 2 used filter pads from my existing 75 gallon tank in there to quick start the nitrogen cycle. How long should I leave these in the tank? They are turning into a pain in the a** when I am trying to vacuum out the tank.juvie 1.jpg
    How long do you have them in ? If the tank is not previously cycled and just by putting in the filter pads may not always help. I would check on your water parameters twice a day.
    So how long would you want to leave them in ? - I would leave them for 3 - 4 days see if the water parameters are not bouncing. I would then remove them.

Real Name
    Mike

After a few weeks, you should already have established bio on the sponge filters. Keep up the water changes and it wont be a problem. Do you have test equipment? 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites will tell you if you have a completed cycle. In the future, you should not use old media because that can compromise the health of new additions when in QT.

Real Name
    Amy

I do have testing equipment and have 0 ammonia and nitrites. I made the mistake of adding these 4 directly to my 75 when I first got them so there is no sense in QT now. Removed them and put them in this bb 30 on Sunday after the water parameters had stabilized. It has been around 2 weeks since the old filter media has been in that tank.

Well, stack them on top of each other would solve your problem by 50%.