ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Fiamma rossa discus turning pale when aquarium light is turned on.

Registered Member

Default Fiamma rossa discus turning pale when aquarium light is turned on.

Hello,

I have fiamma rossa discus which is turning pale white when the aquarium light is turned on. if i turn off the light within few minutes it comes back to its normal color. (I have attached image below)

• It is eating well & looks healthy.
    • It doesn't show any signs of sick or stress.
    • Water perimeters are good.
    • Its been two months since I added it to the tank.

Is this expected behavior for this kind of strain? does this strain need any shades to show its full colors?

fiamma.jpg

Thanks

Real Name
    Eric

Default Re: Fiamma rossa discus turning pale when aquarium light is turned on.

Totally normal. Same thing happens with my Fuji Red

Real Name
    Sean

This is normal behavior when you turn the lights on in the morning or suddenly in the middle of the night. It’s also common for Discus to easily frighten themselves whenever turning the lights on or off. I’ve found that the timer on my lights that slowly turns on and off over ten minutes is much less stressful for my fish. I use the aquatic edge LED lights. The fish should get it’s normal color back after 15-30 minutes or quicker.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

I've given up on trying to sell our little Super Red Melons at the local swap meet. Lights too bright! All the color washes out, and nobody will buy them. They return to bright red the instant they get back home to their tank here. I think they are just perverse!
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Quote Originally Posted by ssevasta View Post
    This is normal behavior when you turn the lights on in the morning or suddenly in the middle of the night. It’s also common for Discus to easily frighten themselves whenever turning the lights on or off. I’ve found that the timer on my lights that slowly turns on and off over ten minutes is much less stressful for my fish. I use the aquatic edge LED lights. The fish should get it’s normal color back after 15-30 minutes or quicker.
    Doubt it's the on off. It would seem to me it's the brightness. Lights on or off do not bother mine one bit even if it's an instant off or on.
    It's a nice looking fish. Is your light adjustable? I used to have my fish under really bright lights and they were accustomed to it however over time I found that a little more subdued lighting actually gave a nicer appearance to the fish
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Eric

I have not been able to figure out why my Fuji Red goes light pink, it can happen anytime during the day. He seems to get more red when I feed him and at other seemingly random times. 75% of the time he is more pink than red. He is always pink when the lights come on in the morning. I think it is more related to mood and feeling safe (which lighting could play into).

Real Name
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Doubt it's the on off. It would seem to me it's the brightness. Lights on or off do not bother mine one bit even if it's an instant off or on.
    It's a nice looking fish. Is your light adjustable? I used to have my fish under really bright lights and they were accustomed to it however over time I found that a little more subdued lighting actually gave a nicer appearance to the fish
    That’s an interesting observation. I think I misworded my last post. A more accurate description of what happens would be that when the lights go on suddenly my fish seek cover behind the sponge filters but it’s very different when I suddenly turn the lights off. When I suddenly turn the lights off my fish get really jumpy, even slightly brushing against another fish in the tank can cause a chain reaction of darting and thrashing around in my tank. I’ve never had that issue when the timer turned off the lights over the course of ten minutes though.