AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Discus, but not new to planted tanks.

Real Name
    Amy

Default New to Discus, but not new to planted tanks.

Hi there,
    My name is Amy and I have had a 75 gallon low tech planted tank now for a couple of years. I have wanted to have Discus for a really long time! Since way before I even set up this tank I have known that Discus would be a part of it eventually. All in all I am glad that I waited to get the Discus. My tank is very stable at this point and I have made my fair share of mistakes over the past few years. First and foremost was buying fish from my LFS. I will not be doing that anymore! Luckily none of my LFS's even carry Discus or I probably would have bought them a long time ago and killed them off.
    A few months ago while thumbing through craigslist I saw a post for 3 Discus for $50.00. I jumped at the chance and now have 3 adult Discus in my tank. 2 of which are a pair and spawn every week like clockwork. Here are some pics of them.
    big male 1.jpgbig male 2.jpgbig male 3.jpgbig male 4.jpgfemale 1.jpgpair.jpgsmall male 1.jpgsmall male 2.jpg

Real Name
    Amy

Default Re: New to Discus, but not new to planted tanks.

Sorry for the crappy phone pics btw. I do have a DSLR, just haven't taken the time to download any photos form it yet.
    Amy

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kurt Seidler

Looks good.How often are you doing waterchanges?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

That's exactly how I got into discus! Unfortunately, my discus failed to thrive in the planted tank like other fish I owned. I ended up having to revamp my entire tank and my approach to fish keeping to accommodate them. Hopefully you don't come up against all the barriers for success that I did. Luckily this forum is full of great info for those just starting out with discus so def check out the stickies etc and keep posting updates on your tank!

Pic of my tank makeover:

IMG_0952.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

I found a pic of my first few discus from Kijiji! They were so small and adorable. Do you plan to add any more to your tank?

IMG_0953.JPG

Real Name
    Amy

My current water change schedule is 50% once a week.
    I am thinking that I should be doing more.
    Kyla-I do plan on adding more discus. I already have 4 juveniles in a 30 gallon bb grow out tank.

Real Name
    Phil

Amy,

I know you are trying and are learning, but you really have a lot to learn to save what you have or get anywhere with them. I am sure I don't have to tell you, the few fish I see are stunted or not growing accordingly...

50% once a week in a dense planted tank, sand bed, all that is not ideal for discus...

Are you willing to make some changes or move the fish?

Real Name
    Amy

If you read through my post you would have seen that I got these fish as adults. They are not stunted due to my care. Quite the opposite, they have flourished since I got them. I do realize that I need to do more water changes and clearly stated that in my post right before your comment. So the answer to your question is yes I am willing to make some changes, and if moving the fish is warranted then yes I will do that.

Real Name
    Phil

I can read thank you very much and I did read your post. I never accused your care of causing the issues. But you say you had them for months and one looks really thin and the forehead looks pinched.

We are all here offering advice and trying to help. If you don't want it or want to do your own thing by all means enjoy.

Thinking about doing water changes and doing them are very different things.

Good luck to you.

Real Name
    Amy

I did come here to learn. And I did come off as very defensive in that last post. I appologize. I would like nothing more than to have healthy fish.
    I'm having a very hard time understanding why I would need to do so many water changes when my ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates all are at zero. That is why we do water changes correct? If I am wrong please enlighten me.
    The fish you are referring to is very thin and has a pinched head, I agree. But he looks better than when I first got him. He was so dark I could only see that he had stripes, no color. Really thought he would die that first week but amazingly he survived and eats like a little pig now. I also posted in introductions. There is more info there. Didn't want to repeat myself here but seems as though I probably should have.
    Amy

Quote Originally Posted by Naturegirl View Post
    I did come here to learn. And I did come off as very defensive in that last post. I appologize. I would like nothing more than to have healthy fish.
    I'm having a very hard time understanding why I would need to do so many water changes when my ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates all are at zero. That is why we do water changes correct? If I am wrong please enlighten me.
    The fish you are referring to is very thin and has a pinched head, I agree. But he looks better than when I first got him. He was so dark I could only see that he had stripes, no color. Really thought he would die that first week but amazingly he survived and eats like a little pig now. I also posted in introductions. There is more info there. Didn't want to repeat myself here but seems as though I probably should have.
    Amy
    Phil like the rest of us only have your best interest in mind

Keep in mind there are other intangibles, other than the water parameters you listed, which are also reasons for frequent water changes. DOCS, bacteria, etc.

True your fish is very thin but good to hear he is looking better. The stripes you are referring to are stress bars.

Keep reading, keep learning and continue to ask questions. This is a great resource for new and seasoned members alike
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Amy

Docs?

Quote Originally Posted by Naturegirl View Post
    Docs?
    Dissolved organic compounds.

There are things that affect your quality of water that you do not physically test for
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Hi Amy,

Glad you're here, and welcome. Keep reading various posts, especially the stickies in the Discus Basics for Beginner's section to expand your knowledge. I've been keeping Discus full time now for over a year and still learning.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

When I first brought my discus home I was of the same mind - no other fish needed the "excessive" water change schedule all "those crazy discus keepers" ranted about... I had kept fish since I was 12, and the advice I was getting seemed totally contrary to everything I had learned along the way. I was stubborn, but was sort of forced to make changes because my fish just wouldn't thrive in my tank. I lost discus because I was so skeptical and slow to change my maintenance routines. I even potted up all my plants and tried that for a while!! Multiple wc a week just seemed ridiculous.

IMG_0990.JPG

but eventually I simplified everything about my tank and routine, got a 150gal water aging barrel and a pump for wc refills, and started to really slam those wc. My guys are finally happy. You don't have to go to the extremes I did, but I honestly can't see your fish doing well long-term in your set up without more water changes. What is your current water change set up/routing like? Eg what steps are a part of the process and how long does it take? Making this task as easy and efficient as possible will really be the key to success. There are a ton of threads about this specific subject on the forum, lots of great ideas. Wc used to take me forever, but after revamping my whole system they are a snap now. This will be even more important once you add more bioload to your tank with the discus in QT.
    Last edited by Kyla; 11-23-2017 at 02:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast