ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: So question about PH from tap water

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Stephen Carey

Default So question about PH from tap water

So I have been reading, A LOT, and one of the things that brought Discus to the forefront of my thoughts and starting to work with them is they are not as difficult to keep as once thought. I understand it's due to captive breeding and all that. I also understand from what I have read is be consistent regarding their routine and water changes and such.

I live in Orange County, Ca and I was able to pull a current 2016 water report from the water company and it showed the average PH from the two treatment plants to be 8.1. Is there anything else I should look for in that report? Now keep in mind I haven't tested my tap water at this point.

So my question is do I need to be concerned with getting the ph down?

I was thinking if possibly putting in an R/O system and mixing my tap water with r/o to lower the ph, but I'll be honest, I'm lazy and want to make the water changes as quick and painless as possible.

I also thought about letting my tap water sit overnight to expel the chlorine, but does that also get rid of the chloramine? Now I understand I will need some sort of agitation for the water (i.e. powerhead, bubbler, etc.) Or should I just use Seachem prime and wham bam thank you ma'am not worry about the ph and not be so concerned with it and live a little?

I am just trying to get a decent grasp on this what I should expect, as well as get some things in order before I start anything.

SC

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Stephen Carey

Default Re: So question about PH from tap water

Just realized this thread should probably be in Water Works. Mods please move if this more appropriate in the Water Works thread. Thank you!

If your water right out of the tap, or after sitting overnite in a bucket, remains relatively steady near the 8.0 mark, you should be just fine using Prime as your water conditioner. No need for powerhead or other equipment with usual good filtration for tank size.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Stephen Carey

Thanks for the reply Paul. That average I posted in the original post is straight from the tap.

However it is my luck that I find this thread http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...HANGE-YOUR-pH! after I post my question.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

pH typically changes after aging. Here in Chicago, the pH goes from about 6.8 to about 7.6 during aging, due to degassing CO2. Although you can blow off chlorine, you need a conditioner like Prime or ClorAmX to take care of chloramines. If your pH is 8.1, you are fine. You just don't want big pH changes to take place in your discus tank. That's one of the reasons aging is recommended.
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Stephen Carey

Thanks Chicago. Like I said I really just wanna set myself up for success rather than not. I need to test my tap water to see what we really get rather than rely on the report from our water company.