ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 1 inch Discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Default 1 inch Discus

I can get some nice 1 inch local bred discus. Is it really a must to feed 7x a day and change the water 2x a day?

What are the results if treated like normal fish, 60 percent a week 2x day feeding?

Real Name
    Ralph

Default Re: 1 inch Discus

Mike....Genetics can play a role also on potential growth but think your regimen plan may not likely work because they are not normal fish as you speak.
    You don't have to feed 7X day as the many of us do but water quality is a the key especially with Discus this young. Since they are only 1" and possibly selling for $5-$10 ea. from this local hobbyist I would say get a group of 8-10 and feed 3x - 4X day and siphon any left over food after 10 min. and top-off with aged water daily if this will work for you. Not a big expense and know your really itching for Discus based on your previous posts.
    Gets you into the game without a big expense.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Thanks Ralph, ya I was just wondering if my regime would cause illness and stunting.
    I'm definitely itching to get some. Such a beautiful fish when large and healthy!

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    Mike....Genetics can play a role also on potential growth but think your regimen plan may not likely work because they are not normal fish as you speak.
    You don't have to feed 7X day as the many of us do but water quality is a the key especially with Discus this young. Since they are only 1" and possibly selling for $5-$10 ea. from this local hobbyist I would say get a group of 8-10 and feed 3x - 4X day and siphon any left over food after 10 min. and top-off with aged water daily if this will work for you. Not a big expense and know your really itching for Discus based on your previous posts.
    Gets you into the game without a big expense.

...Ralph
    +1. If you and the seller can wait a month or so until they're 2" I think you'd be dealing with less risk. I'd still go for the 8-10 group.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

I don't feed 7x a day and don't believe it is necessary. My grow outs get fed 3x a day. The water changing is where you are really going to suffer. Doing 1 change a week at 60% is a setup for failure. You didn't mention what size tank your were planning and this certainly makes a difference. If you had say 6 to 8 in a 75 then my recommendation would be to do at least 50% daily. Bacteria grows very quickly in 82 degree water from left over food and waste. This has a severe affect on young discus. This is why we do the daily water changes on them.

Like Steve said, I would try to get discus that are at least 2". I won't sell mine till they are at least 2".
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

get an auto fish feeder if you don't have one. and Larry is right, water changing will need to be more frequent.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Ok, thanks everyone. I have actually decided to go with 4 inch discus instead. Might get just a few small to try them out. Appreciate the feedback fellas

Real Name
    Willie

Good move. 1" discus are very difficult to raise. Frankly, you have an irresponsible seller. I'd never sell discus less than 2".

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.