ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Did my filter remove the medication?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris

Default Did my filter remove the medication?

I recently set up a quarantine tank to treat 2 sick discus with Metro and Prazi.
    I obviously removed the Charcoal from the filter and just inserted some of my established ceramic rings from my main tank's filter into the small HOB filter for my QT.
    I did not remove the foam pad, thinking that it was only a foam pad.
    So I did a 2 week treatment on the discus, and they seemed to show a bit of improvement, but not what I was hoping. They are now back into the main tank, and have since gone back to less than ideal conditions (dark, hiding, minimal activity, limited eating).
    It dawned on me yesterday that when I broke down the QT tank, the foam pad seemed a little bit different than just a regular sponge. I did a little bit of research and found that the filter came with an Ammonia Reducing pad.(https://www.aqueon.com/products/filt...ty-filter-pads)

My question is would this Ammonia Reducing filter pad have removed any of the medication from the water? I have looked under product reviews and customer questions from various websites but could not come to any definitive conclusion.

Default Re: Did my filter remove the medication?

Chris,
    Its possible depending on what material they make the pads out of. Your best bet is to contact customer service and ask. They dont give enough details on it.

I would also suggest the two fish go back to a hospital tank. Whether the pads removed the meds or not, they dont sound like the were healthy enough to go back .

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images