AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why?

Default Why?

As I was setting up a tank for a newly formed pair I found myself asking "Why?" Why do I do this? Why do I keep fish? Theres a million other things to do with my given time..Why do I use that time keeping "fish"?

It seemed like an easy question. Obviously I enjoy it....but what is it that I enjoy? Is it the challenge? watching them? breeding them? Its probably a bunch of things for me.

So whats it for you? WHY do you keep Fish?

Also related... do you ever just watch them? Seriously, do you sit there and enjoy the show or do you just feed them, care for them and move on to other things.?

Heavy questions for a Monday, I know but humor me please as I would really like to know.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Why?

WHY is a deep question. I can tell you "Why Not"! I spend half of my time at our summer place. When I'm there, I really miss my fish.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Spent about 15 minutes with binoculars spying on some plecos this morning. Not one of my prouder moments as a fish keeper, but feeding and caring for plecos isn't particularly rewarding unless they're filling the tank with fry.

Guess the "why" is the same as Willie's. Been keeping fish in glass boxes as long as I can remember. Didn't particularly enjoy the few years I had to be without tanks, so I enjoy keeping them now. Only other "living" hobby I have is growing aroids, but they're even less interactive than fish.

Spent about 15 minutes with binoculars spying on some plecos this morning. Not one of my prouder moments as a fish keeper,
    Adam, we need to get you into photography.If you are going to be a peeping Tom on your fish ,a camera and telephoto lens are better tools my friend!

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    harry g

I do it because i'm losing my mind. This has been happing for the last 40 yrs. You know what my electric bill is Al & it keeps getting worse. Harry
    Last edited by gunnerschh2; 05-21-2018 at 03:26 PM.

I do it because I make a ton of money from fish. (jk)
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Steve

Registered Member

I remember it well, I was 12 years old sitting in my friends bedroom, he had a small 2 1/2 gallon tank on his dresser with about a dozen fancy guppies. It was 1966 in Chicago and I couldn't seem to stop looking at these fish. I'm a few years from retiring and I look forward to spending more time caring for my tanks. I almost feel I became addicted that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick S View Post
    I remember it well, I was 12 years old sitting in my friends bedroom, he had a small 2 1/2 gallon tank on his dresser with about a dozen fancy guppies. It was 1966 in Chicago and I couldn't seem to stop looking at these fish. I'm a few years from retiring and I look forward to spending more time caring for my tanks. I almost feel I became addicted that day.
    That is cool Rick. My first encounter with fish keeping was also Guppies. My dad had multiple tanks of guppys when I was real young. He left the the hobby as I was growing up. I have tried over the years to get him interested again, but that spark is long gone. It did however land in at least on his kids.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I enjoy it and provides extra income.

Real Name
    Steve

My last post was a bit negative, sorry, but it seemed a good followup to Liz's. I enjoy watching them and being successful at breeding and raising them, although it does seem to be getting harder to keep up and balance the maintenance needs with everything else I've got going on. My set-up's never been efficient enough to make water changes easy or to make any money breeding.

My water change system is wonderful and fast. My problem is my good taste. Sure I sell, and get some good money for some on AB and here but what I will pay for good fish is a bit over the top to say the least. I have never made a cent on any of my hobbies. A hobby to me is an obsession...It is a love that is never fully satisfied. The job of a hobby to me is to take my money while I happily throw it at them.
    Mama Bear

I've always truly enjoyed them because they're wonderfully colorful living things that make ideal companions - perhaps the best - they're very quiet at all times, don't talk back to you or be sassy, and never argue with you whatever your opinion may be, or whatever you have to say, and they'd never be mean, or hurt you in any way. They're kinda without fault for all these reasons !

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    My last post was a bit negative, sorry, but it seemed a good followup to Liz's. I enjoy watching them and being successful at breeding and raising them, although it does seem to be getting harder to keep up and balance the maintenance needs with everything else I've got going on. My set-up's never been efficient enough to make water changes easy or to make any money breeding.
    Steve, I loved that pic..so true for so many us! However I will say that your fishbreeding, though not profitable, was successful.Ive enjoyed the group of fineline blues I got from you as fry. The pair I mentioned in the first post are from those fry.

2018-05-22 05.50.53.jpg
    phone snap shot ...guarding eggs
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Ps..I hate reflectix as a background.. usually use foam but it was what was At hand. Going back to foam once they are done with the eggs.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast