ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cherry shrimp w/ free shipping - Phoenix, AZ

Default Re: Cherry shrimp w/ free shipping - Phoenix, AZ

Sure thing, there's still 1000 or so stealing food that isn't theirs from fish I like a lot more

I have a 3D background in my tank and am thinking of putting them back there. Are they like crayfish, would they crawl out the tank? I have a lot of uncovered area. assume they may crawl over the background and get into the main area of the tank but I just wonder about them crawling completely out...

They have zero mobility out of water, so I think they would be fine. Even when they get stranded on plants during water changes, they just flounder around until the tank gets filled back up.

i've not had the cherry shrimp do it, but other shrimp panic jump when netting them, these cherry shrimp were more mellow.

Adam did a great job packing and shipping and they were in good shape. better than i can find at my LFS.

my Discus took some interested on initial stocking, a couple shrimp were riding on the sides of discus which was pretty funny for the kids to watch (me included).
    the shrimp are fast and evaded. now they have settled in the MANY MANY hiding places in my tank.

a LOT of the shrimp have migrated to my sump, not sure if that is normal or not.

Thanks, Jack.

Do you have prefilters on the drain lines to your sump? That should take care of the problem, but they are very useful cleaners in sumps with submerged bio-media. Just make sure they don't get chewed by the return pump.

For those that want to put these into planted discus tanks and are worried about them getting eaten, give this a shot: after acclimating and quarantining your shrimp, put them in a specimen container or other clear container that can be floated or hung in the tank. Make sure your discus notice you doing this, as you want them pecking at the container. Let them do this for however long it takes them to lose interest in the shrimp. When you release them into the tank, things usually go without a hitch.

Almost ready to ship them out?
    Pete
    MAGA

Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    Thanks, Jack.

Do you have prefilters on the drain lines to your sump? That should take care of the problem, but they are very useful cleaners in sumps with submerged bio-media. Just make sure they don't get chewed by the return pump.

For those that want to put these into planted discus tanks and are worried about them getting eaten, give this a shot: after acclimating and quarantining your shrimp, put them in a specimen container or other clear container that can be floated or hung in the tank. Make sure your discus notice you doing this, as you want them pecking at the container. Let them do this for however long it takes them to lose interest in the shrimp. When you release them into the tank, things usually go without a hitch.
    i have some plastic mesh over intake, removed the DIY sponge prefilters i made as they plugged too fast. they choose to migrate there though. mostly was wondering if that is normal. some are still in the display tank in the roots of plants. I have one Discus that sometimes goes for them, but they get away in short order.

Cherry shrimp are like roaches or mice; if there is a way to get somewhere, they will.

Sent a PM to those who were waiting until the 8th.

I have noticed they are doing a crazy good job of cleaning my poret foam, going to see if i can figure out a way to allow them to get to the other 2 layers

If the foam is larger than 45 ppi, they will eventually make it on their own. The babies aren't much bigger than bbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    Some of my pleco tanks are becoming shrimp tanks, so some shrimp need to go! These cherry shrimp are tough as nails and have thrived in water from 60-500 ppm tds and 65°F to 86°F. While they don't eat algae, they do make excellent scavengers and pay for themselves within a couple months.

Price is $35 for 20 or $60 for 50, USPS Priority shipping included. Sending out young adults, ~1/2" in size and old enough to berry up immediately.

The dark red females came from the parent colony where they were color fed. Giving young shrimp a bit of astaxanthin in their food or paprika will increase red intensity if the red coverage is good to begin with, and they seem to keep it even when color feeding is stopped.
    I'm interested in 20 for $35. Are they still available? I can pay via paypal. Thanks.

Still have a decent amount. PM me your email and I will send a Paypal invoice.

Registered Member

Most definetly interested in getting 20

Send a PM with your email, and I can send a Paypal invoice.

Registered Member

Adam,

Incredible job packing them .Just got them today from the 6th because of snow delay and the post office is just horrible. BUT, not one fatality.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast