AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jimmy Discus????????

Real Name
    Greg

Default Jimmy Discus????????

Hey all, just wondering if anyone has ever purchased from jimmy Discus? How is the quality of the fish and how was your experience over all, they are having a holiday sale, buy 2 get one free. The website shows good quality fish, just making sure it’s legit before I buy

Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: Jimmy Discus????????

Never heard of them and always leery when it isn't an SD sponsor... especially running some gimicky sale... Have you asked if the pics you see are the pics you get? They could post the most amazing pics ever, doesn't mean that's what they send you.

You should run a google search on them, check the livestock reviews here and I would strongly suggest checking the sponsor section and going that route. the sponsors here are vetted and held to a very high standard...

Discus aren;t the type of fish to pinch pennies on and go for a bargain, that usually equals crap fish, stress and mad more work for you...

Think about it, but I say no go

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Never heard of them and always leery when it isn't an SD sponsor... especially running some gimicky sale... Have you asked if the pics you see are the pics you get? They could post the most amazing pics ever, doesn't mean that's what they send you.

You should run a google search on them, check the livestock reviews here and I would strongly suggest checking the sponsor section and going that route. the sponsors here are vetted and held to a very high standard...

Discus aren;t the type of fish to pinch pennies on and go for a bargain, that usually equals crap fish, stress and mad more work for you...

Yea, I totally hear ya! I think I’ll just wait until uncle sams Discus gets their next batch, I too am leery of breeders that are not venders on this forum. Thanks for the advice phillydubs!

Just in case if you haven't heard of me, I bred some top quality discus. I'm selling some of my Giant Flora 7" PM me for more info

Real Name
    Willie

Your PM is full. Can't send anything.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Phil

Say it here willie! We be family mannnn!! Lol

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post

HI Phil,
    You never heard of them how about Ellen, from Long Island Discus?

Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Your PM is full. Can't send anything.

Willie
    Inbox is empty now

Ellen from Queens ny is she still around ? lol
    iM CURED FROM THE DiSCUS ADDiCTiON .. GETTiNG OUT THE HOBBY ..

I actually made a purchase for this sale, I ordered a Super Fire Red, Scarlet Snakeskin, and Fuji Red.

I have yet to receive the fish so I'll update this when I do, but my experience thus far:

Jimmy gave me a call to let me know that he was out of stock of the size of the Super Fire Red and Fuji Red that I had initially ordered; he offered to upgrade my Super Fire Red to the next size, which would be an additional $40, to which I agreed, and then said he would send me the larger size of Fuji Red free of charge for the inconvenience.

He also said that he only had one Scarlet Snakeskin left and he noticed after I placed my order that it wasn't doing so well, and asked if I'd be willing to choose a different fish as he didn't want to send a less-than-healthy fish only to have it end in disappointment. So I switched my order to a Golden Snakeskin instead.

I requested he choose a Super Fire Red with some nice white markings on the face if possible, so he sent me several photos of the specific fish available, which were gorgeous and looked just like the stock photos on the site.

We then arranged for a shipping date upon which he said he'd walk me through acclimating them once they arrived.

Overall my experience thus far has been positive; while it's certainly disappointing that I had to change my order, I appreciate his honesty about the situation and his unwillingness to sell me a fish that may not be doing well. I also think it's completely understandable for a small breeder to have the kerfuffles with stock (regarding being out of stock of the original sizes I ordered), so I don't hold that against him.

Of course, the ultimate proof will be the fish I receive.

Real Name
    Sean

I just don’t understand why it’s worth taking the risk of things going sideways when you can order from a sponsor here without any fear or reservations. I hope it works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ssevasta View Post
    I just don’t understand why it’s worth taking the risk of things going sideways when you can order from a sponsor here without any fear or reservations. I hope it works out for you.
    Well I've purchased from Discus Hans and Uncle Sam's Discus multiple times in the past. But I think a lot of small breeders started out without the solid reputations of larger better-known breeders/distributors. That doesn't mean they aren't good or honest. And without people willing to take the risk to purchase from them and help them build that reputation, they would never have the opportunity of progressing to the point where they would be considered a reliable breeder/seller, and if they are good I think that would be a shame.

With Jimmy Discus, he's a member of a fairly large Discus Facebook Group I'm a part of and I've seen his interactions with members on the group, so it's not precisely as if he is a total stranger. I'm sure he recognizes he has his reputation on the Group with hundreds of thousands of potential clients to think of. So while ordering new fish online always makes me nervous, I'm not as apprehensive as I might be blind-buying from a random store online.

It's pretty simple, really: it was worth the risk *for me* because I saw that he had a gorgeous fish and I really wanted it. If things go sideways, I'll take it as me being a sucker this time and vote with my wallet and walk away. But if things go well, I've discovered a nice breeder who really cares about his fish and his clients and produces beautiful fish. I might have stumbled upon something great. The potential of that is worth the risk to me.

Real Name
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by MilkPudding View Post
    Well I've purchased from Discus Hans and Uncle Sam's Discus multiple times in the past. But I think a lot of small breeders started out without the solid reputations of larger better-known breeders/distributors. That doesn't mean they aren't good or honest. And without people willing to take the risk to purchase from them and help them build that reputation, they would never have the opportunity of progressing to the point where they would be considered a reliable breeder/seller, and if they are good I think that would be a shame.

With Jimmy Discus, he's a member of a fairly large Discus Facebook Group I'm a part of and I've seen his interactions with members on the group, so it's not precisely as if he is a total stranger. I'm sure he recognizes he has his reputation on the Group with hundreds of thousands of potential clients to think of. So while ordering new fish online always makes me nervous, I'm not as apprehensive as I might be blind-buying from a random store online.

It's pretty simple, really: it was worth the risk *for me* because I saw that he had a gorgeous fish and I really wanted it. If things go sideways, I'll take it as me being a sucker this time and vote with my wallet and walk away. But if things go well, I've discovered a nice breeder who really cares about his fish and his clients and produces beautiful fish. I might have stumbled upon something great. The potential of that is worth the risk to me.
    Very well said. So he’s breeding these fish and not just importing them?

Quote Originally Posted by ssevasta View Post
    Very well said. So he’s breeding these fish and not just importing them?
    Ah sorry I misspoke--he is an importer. There are a lot of sellers, both breeders and importers in the Facebook group I know him from so I tend to sort of lump them together, but obviously they're not quite the same thing.

I had a few questions about the fish I was receiving so he sent me photos of the exact fish he's sending to me. These are the Golden Snakeskin and Super Fire Red. The only one I haven't seen yet is the Fuji Apple but you can see a Fuji in the background of the first photo and it looks great, so I'm not worried. Anyway, I'm due to receive them this morning, so I'll update with my own photos in natural light soon.

xIYdhUK.jpg
    dvxwZQL.jpg

Real Name
    Phil

Very nice, I hope it works out for you and please report back...

Did you ask him about color enhancers or how he houses or feeds them? Bottom fish is rather striking but for some reason has me thinking enhanced...?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast