ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Mom and dad eating fry!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

Default Mom and dad eating fry!

Ok, so I got a pair who lay eggs, fertilize them, the wiggles show up and the fry start to eat off parents then they eat them... I thought they would learn but there not seeming to learn from there mistakes. When do they not need the parent and can I take them away from them? When should I feed them and can I feed them frozen brine cubes???( thawed of course )..... newbie at this. But these two go through this a lot, fry machines!

Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: Mom and dad eating fry!

When they are that small, they need first bites, brine shrimp or a self-made mix of egg yolk/spirulina. Brine shrimp would be the best/easiest IMO. As soon as the last fry go free swimming, remove the parents and start feeding the brine shrimp.

Real Name
    Julian

Default Re: Mom and dad eating fry!

Live baby brine shrimp (artemia naupouli) is the best choice, if you have to use the egg yolk/ spirulina you will have to pay attention to water quality , use less is better in fact you need to rub the mixture to almost no visible form in a dark substrate to hang over the side of fry tank. these days I will only use it . If for some reason I have an issue with baby brine shrimp but napoulis are really easy to hatch.
    Breeding , interest and goals Wilds Heckels and Cuipeuas and a few Domestics pairs with occasional fry as well as Angels fancy Plecos , corys and shrimps.