AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discolouration of White and Yellow Discus from diet?

Default Discolouration of White and Yellow Discus from diet?

Some months ago I fed an excess of Tetra Colourbits and/or Paprika-mixed homemade food to my tank containing white and yellow discus, which produced the effect of my white discus turning peach coloured and my yellow discus turning orange.

Peach and orange they remain to this day, and although I harbour hopes that they will revert to their natural colours someday, I've now become paranoid about further discolouration from their diets.

I've recently acquired a Snow White and Yellow Checkerboard from Uncle Sam's Discus and I'm determined that they will retain their original colouring...the problem is, due to a recent promotion at work (which has the cruel irony of giving me more money to lavish on my discus hobby, but less time to spend on them) I've been too busy to make a new batch of homemade colour-enhancer-free food.

So I'm looking at commercial foods as a backup. The problem I've run into is...nearly all of them seem to have colour-enhancers, mostly astaxanthin and beta carotene.

I did come across this useful tidbit of information by poster "neutrino" that suggests that the astaxanthin doesn't *necessarily* mean it will turn fish red, but...as I said, I'm paranoid. Given the delicate colouration of the Snow Whites especially, I'd really like to get a second opinion.

So my question is this: Have any experienced keepers here fed commercial food containing astaxanthin and *not* noticed their yellow or white discus taking on an orange hue?

Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: Discolouration of White and Yellow Discus from diet?

Why not just plain ol FDBW

Hit up Al the owner of the forum he sells a great product that you and your fish will love.

I actually just bought some! I'm just interested in other foods for the sake of introducing some variety to my discus' diet.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

The exact problem happed to me about 4 years ago ,i fed Tetra color bits to my fish and my snow white changed to peach and my yellow PB turned orange and they stayed the same afterwards ,you can try al FDBW or dry foods containing spirulina which tend to push blue rather than red ,i think Sera makes one .

Registered Member TheRedSpotted's Avatar

SERA is a good alternative to TETRA.
    I have tried in the past with Albino Millenium Gold and they kept their natural colours.

Kind regards

Registered Member

I sample test fish food for some vendors and mostly
    all of them have some kind of food enchanter. Some of these will not only color the fish outside but also
    their internal permanently.

Best is to make your own beefheart mix, as least you
    know what you got.

Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 11-27-2017 at 07:05 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Why not just plain ol FDBW

Hit up Al the owner of the forum he sells a great product that you and your fish will love.
    +1 This is what I use for my Snow White and Gold Diamonds. I use his discus chow too. i don't think it has color enhancers.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Registered Member

Will frozen bloodworms turn white discus peach?