ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Difficulty to pic up food

Registered Member

Default Difficulty to pic up food

Hello,

I bought a group of 6 discus about 2 years ago. They all grew up in a normal way, had good appetite. After a while i noticed one became somewhat smaller. He was trying to oic up the food, as well pellets as frozen, but didn't succeed. It like he was unable to locate the food. For 10 trials, he succeeded once. I finally had to help him out of his misery. Nowaday, I observe the same behaviuor on another one of the same batch. He is now 2 years old and is the female of a oair layinf eggs regularly. Best is to feed beefheart, what I avoided in the past. Cubes are big and he has more chance to pic up a part. I guess the issue is related to a sight problem. Did anyone had a similar experience? Thank for your comments.

Registered Member

Default Re: Difficulty to pic up food

I have seen some Discus that keep missing the food,
    like bad eyesight, these were mostly high forehead or
    Parrot beak mouth like.

Cliff

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

I had received a somewhat bulldog shaped discus in one of my online orders, and the inner parts of its eyes were shaped differently than the other fish. It also had great difficulty striking at food and would miss multiple times in a row. I kept it for a long time but eventually rehomed it because I'm not a fan of the bulldog shape and it's growth was slower than my other discus.

Registered Member

Thank you both.

I found a threat from 2004 on the forum : Discus Misjudges While Trying to Eat. Exact the same issue.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-Trying-to-Eat

Issue is : what can I do?

I could transfer him to my Altum tank. My altums don't like beefhaert, so it will be left for him. But he will be the only discus, this will probably stress him. What would you do people?

Thanks in advance