ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Runt Discus black and frayed fins

Registered Member

Default Runt Discus black and frayed fins

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
    I grew up my discus in a barebottom and recently moved them to a planted tank with cardinals + endler guppies in it (cardinals/endlers have been with me for a while and QT'd properly)
    all my discus are fine except for the runt. it seems to have gone from bad to worse. dark blackened frayed fins etc;

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

turning dark, clamped fins, rotting

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
    Tried Metro dosed food for 10 days. Nothing changed.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

75 Gallon planted tank. 6 discus, 20 cardinals, ~10 endler guppies
    1 EHEIM canister filter with purigen

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    Every other day 40%. Daily removal of fish poop.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    >1 year. Sand substrate 1 -2 inch deep at most.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    No aging. Use floss to ensure no micro bubbles show up

8. Parameters and water source;
    tank water

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

85- temp _____

tap water not sure- ph _____

0- ammonia reading ____

0- nitrite reading ____

~5 - nitrate reading ____

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- municipal water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    Yes. Discus moved from barebottom 37 Gallon grow tank to 75 Gallon

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

2 - 3 times a day. Tropical granules, Flakes, FDBW

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Registered Member

Default Re: Runt Discus black and frayed fins

Last edited by Rudra; 11-27-2017 at 08:53 PM.