ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: What's the final form of your BH mix?

Real Name
    Steve

Default What's the final form of your BH mix?

I've never used or made beefheart mix before, but I thought I might try it as an experiment. I bought a couple hearts from a neighbor cattle grower, and let his butcher clean them. They're in the freezer. I've got most of my ingredients ready to process. After you get everything mixed, what form do you put it in? Paste, dried paste, frozen paste cubes,...?

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Default Re: What's the final form of your BH mix?

I've only made it a few times and load up all the trays that l keep from bought beef heart packs as its the easiest way to break them by hand in small blocks when frozen. Any extra gets put into zip lock bags and frozen. Laying them flat enables to have frozen beef heart about 1/4 thick and still easy to break little chunks off
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member

I was making 3 by 5 inch bars 1/4 inch thick and breaking it up when I feed it. I now make 2 by 2 by 5 inch bricks, freeze them and then use a hand grader to make small worm like pieces. My fish like them better than the chunks. I also think it cut down on the uneaten food in the tank, making cleaning easier.

Ron

Real Name
    Mervin

Paste made with a food processor with a good motor.I have even put gelatin in for a binder,which makes it more like baloney.

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

I put two cups of beef heart mix in a gallon Ziploc freezer bag and roll it flat with a rolling pin. I leave the bag open as I roll it spreading it at an angle toward the opening. Just before I reach the opening I seal all but about an inch on the side where the food is the furthest from the top and continue to roll it out until I'm right to the opening then seal it up. I then freeze the bags flat on cookie sheets. When I need more food I take a bag out of the freezer, break it into four pieces, then cut it into squares about 3/4" big I'd guess. Generally the food is about a 1/4" thick putting 2 cups into a gallon bag.