ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discus in trouble?

Registered Member

Default Discus in trouble?

I have a 90 gallon with eight semi adult discus. Water changes have been heavy and consistent and they have been growing quite nicely since I had them as 3 month olds. Just now looking in the tank I noticed one discus (the largest)...heart up my throat!! swimming erratically and upside down. I looked at the other fish and all are fine but breathing fast. I immediately went heavy aeration to see what would happen. The affected fish is upright and still in a corner of the tank. I don't know if the aeration is helping but that is all I have done. The other discus are acting normally. Nothing that I have done with the tank has changed. What could this be? The fish is chilling upright as I say at the moment. Tank is at 86 degrees with a few vallis in a small quantity of substrate. WC are every 2nd day at 75 percent and has not changed.

I feed HM beefheart and flakes on occasion. Is this something that will pass, or anyone familiar with this, it would be nice to hear from you. Thanks folks

Registered Member

Default Re: Discus in trouble?

Also the color is fine and no shedding ....looks normal

Real Name
    Phil

You should really fill out the disease questionnaire for best results...

Nothing has changed on the tank at alll....? No new additions, recent water change? Everything is running fine, filters, heater, etc...

Did you recently feed new food or a lot of food.... Could be bloated or swim bladder. I would try a big water change and add some epsom salt to start and wait and see and keep the heavy airation going...

Registered Member

Thanks a million for response. He just came out of the corner and seems normal at this point. I will pick up Epsom salts for sure. This is weird.How much salts for a 90 gallon? My heart is feeling good right now....unreal.

Yes nothing has changed...no new additions, filter maintenance, water changes all the same. I immediately thought swim bladder and this " whirling disease", but he seems fine I really thought this fish was gone. I have never seen it before and the turn around was within 2 hours. Going around now like nothing happened.
    Last edited by megatrev62; 12-01-2017 at 05:32 PM.

Real Name
    Phil

Was it bullied or in a fight w another fish? Did you hear any bangs or crashes like it hit the glass maybe?

Registered Member

No nothing. I was up for some time and all was fine with the tank. Just took a casual look at the tank and this was going on. I saw no aggression or fighting but as I say the first thing I looked at right away was their respiration which seemed a little fast. Heavy aeration and nothing more. Still have that going. After doing whirls and upside down for maybe 10 minutes, he sat up in the corner upright with both pectorals moving normally. Shortly after you response he came out and is now apparently unaffected and perfectly normal.

Quote Originally Posted by megatrev62 View Post
    No nothing. I was up for some time and all was fine with the tank. Just took a casual look at the tank and this was going on. I saw no aggression or fighting but as I say the first thing I looked at right away was their respiration which seemed a little fast. Heavy aeration and nothing more. Still have that going. After doing whirls and upside down for maybe 10 minutes, he sat up in the corner upright with both pectorals moving normally. Shortly after you response he came out and is now apparently unaffected and perfectly normal.
    It's possible maybe he crashed into something?

I've had discus crash into wood and get a gash and head stand for a short time until they feel better. They can do some really off things when not feeling right

When I did a substrate change I removed all my fish. When I put them back one apparently got stressed from the process and was doing backflips for awhile them after some time was back to normal

I'm assuming your tested your water params? Didn't see any mention of that
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member

Sounds like freshwater allergy. Sometimes the water
    companies changes the water chemical. Try doing
    smaller percentage water changes.

Cliff

Real Name
    Steve

Maybe he had gas I say that totally as a joke, and sorry it seems like a hard one to figure out, but I have seen one go crazy for no obvious reason before, too. Filling out the questionnaire like Phil said is a good idea, or at least a bit more info about you setup. Might get you more responses.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Registered Member

Just got home and all is well. Nothing to see that there was anything wrong at all. Like I said I thought he was a goner. All good in the tank. Thanks all for input. That fish is doing best kind.

Registered Member

Weird !!!!!!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    Sounds like freshwater allergy. Sometimes the water
    companies changes the water chemical. Try doing
    smaller percentage water changes.

Cliff
    Thanks, I will tone it down some, stunting is not a factor anyway. Will go for every 3 days 50%. See how it goes.

I had a fish do this about a year ago. He was fine for a day or two, went crazy with the whirling, looked fine for a day or two, then died. No one seems to know why some discus succumb to this.

Speed - bacteria
    My wild Browns
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO_r41J-o6M

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mapet View Post
    Speed - bacteria
    ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast