ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Why Buy Discus Here?

Real Name
    Willie

Default Why Buy Discus Here?

Whenever someone asks about discus sellers, the consensus is ALWAYS to buy from Simply Discus sponsors. For those of us who have probably spend thousands of dollars on fish, this is simply the best approach. Never buy directly from overseas shippers - I have too many horror stories to relate, as do many others here. Our sponsors take on huge risks to qualify their source, ensure high quality, healthy fish come in, sometimes they treat prophetically, always they repack in clean water. Also, they are experts in packing and shipping discus.

One batch of sick discus can contaminate the entire fish room, even when the new discus goes into quarantine. It takes as many water changes to grow an ugly fish as a beautiful one. Spending an extra $10 - $30/fish is inconsequential given how much you're going to have to invest to get quality discus. I had a large order come in two weeks ago. Here's what you can expect.

IMG_0451.jpg

I live near the airport, so my shipments are held at the airport FedEx office. The box gets in around 6 am (I track it) and I pick it up when the office opens at 9 am. You can pick up later, but at least the box isn't driven around in an unheated truck.

IMG_0452.jpg

A well packed box has little to no water at the bottom. This vendor put in SIX heat packs, all which were still warm when I opened the box.

IMG_0453.jpg

Large discus are individually packed in 3 - 4 heavy duty bags, plus a thicker sleeve to prevent poking.

IMG_0455.jpg

These fish had 4 bags plus a sleeve. There's not a single drop of water in the box itself. The water in the bag is still warm to the touch. Prepare to do a lot of cutting.

IMG_0454.jpg

The fish goes from the bag into a net, from the net into a quarantine tank. If you don't have a quarantine tank, DO NOT buy discus until you set one up. This is probably the single most important advice I can give to newbies.

Leave the light off and don't feed for 24 - 36 hours. The fish will be a little skittish at first, but it'll be worthwhile.

FYI, these came from Kenny.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Default Re: Why Buy Discus Here?

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Whenever someone asks about discus sellers, the consensus is ALWAYS to buy from Simply Discus sponsors. For those of us who have probably spend thousands of dollars on fish, this is simply the best approach. Never buy directly from overseas shippers - I have too many horror stories to relate, as do many others here. Our sponsors take on huge risks to qualify their source, ensure high quality, healthy fish come in, sometimes they treat prophetically, always they repack in clean water. Also, they are experts in packing and shipping discus.

One batch of sick discus can contaminate the entire fish room, even when the new discus goes into quarantine. It takes as many water changes to grow an ugly fish as a beautiful one. Spending an extra $10 - $30/fish is inconsequential given how much you're going to have to invest to get quality discus. I had a large order come in two weeks ago. Here's what you can expect.

IMG_0451.jpg

I live near the airport, so my shipments are held at the airport FedEx office. The box gets in around 6 am (I track it) and I pick it up when the office opens at 9 am. You can pick up later, but at least the box isn't driven around in an unheated truck.

IMG_0452.jpg

A well packed box has little to no water at the bottom. This vendor put in SIX heat packs, all which were still warm when I opened the box.

IMG_0453.jpg

Large discus are individually packed in 3 - 4 heavy duty bags, plus a thicker sleeve to prevent poking.

IMG_0455.jpg

These fish had 4 bags plus a sleeve. There's not a single drop of water in the box itself. The water in the bag is still warm to the touch. Prepare to do a lot of cutting.

IMG_0454.jpg

The fish goes from the bag into a net, from the net into a quarantine tank. If you don't have a quarantine tank, DO NOT buy discus until you set one up. This is probably the single most important advice I can give to newbies.

Leave the light off and don't feed for 24 - 36 hours. The fish will be a little skittish at first, but it'll be worthwhile.

FYI, these came from Kenny.

Willie
    Really great thread. It is very well documented, clear pictures, and accessible to beginner. Great job.
    And, of course, the discus are phenomenal!

Real Name
    Matt

Great post, nice fish Willie. All of the sponsors here have been vetted for quality and customer service. We feel they are some of the best in the business which is why they are represented here on Simply. You don't have to worry about creating a post asking about the reputation because it's all right here on the board visually and in posts. It's a great group and I encourage you all to use them as a first option when looking to purchase your fish!
    -Matt

Real Name
    Phil

Well done and said Siklie. To the point and easy approach. You will help a lot of folks. Awesome fish too

Real Name
    Ralph

Nice write up Willie and two for taking the time to point out the first step for anyone looking into getting into Discus...this will indeed offer the proper approach and why the subject to shop a reputable source is so often mentioned here.

...Ralph
    Last edited by Altum Nut; 12-03-2017 at 11:42 PM.
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Nicely done Willie and the fish look great. I have always enjoying receiving fish from Kenny. Never a worry with that man.

I would suggest modifying one step but it is based on your comfort level. First is never put any bag water in the QT. Second, instead of putting the fish in a net; open all the bag(s) but do not allow air to enter the bag(s) and hold the bag gently closed while you drain the water from the bag(s). Then ease the fish from the bag directly in the QT by allowing it to slide in the tank from the bag.

I do remove all the outer bags prior to cutting the bag the fish is in, then drain the water and ease the fish into tank. I learned this from Ryan when he was importing. When you are tanking several hundred fish removing one step saves time and there are no net marks on the fish.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Every time you see that Chinese newspaper I know for sure that is Kenny's shipment.