ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Good plant growth, but Phosphates crash to 0ppm within hours of dosing

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Andy

Default Good plant growth, but Phosphates crash to 0ppm within hours of dosing

(High Tech) Recently setup a 50 gallon cube with overflow to a sump below.
    Skipping to the point; I cannot seem to keep any level of phosphate in my tank.
    Substrate is Fluval Stratum and there is quite a bit of it. (over 8" near the back)
    I add Seachem Alkaline buffer daily to keep KH at 1dKH.
    Once tds go above 140 I will do an RO water change with Equilibrium, and more Alkaline buffer.
    Is this substrate known to absorb Phosphates?
    I brought levels up to 2.0ppm after lights out, and they are back to 0.0ppm before lights on.

Sump has filter floss, bioballs, and 2L of Matrix.

Not sure if I should keep increasing phosphate doses, or stick to small daily additions.

Real Name
    Julian

Default Re: Good plant growth, but Phosphates crash to 0ppm within hours of dosing

I will go to small daily additions. How are your plants doing if they are thriving that's means is working no need to increase . I haven't kept (High Tech) plants for years now. but that is what I will do. Fluval is a great substratum second only to Amano's ADA.
    Breeding , interest and goals Wilds Heckels and Cuipeuas and a few Domestics pairs with occasional fry as well as Angels fancy Plecos , corys and shrimps.