AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Suggestions: What two discus would pull this group together?

Default Suggestions: What two discus would pull this group together?

Eventually, I'll have room to add 2/3 more to my 85 gallon. Anyone with an aesthetic eye able to suggest what my next purchase should be that will bring this group together? Pondering if I should stick with a red base, or yellow ...or even blues?

vGy0uF2.jpg
    Last edited by lnky; 12-06-2017 at 12:43 PM.

Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: Suggestions: What two discus would pull this group together?

Inky,

Obviously this is a very personal decision and you really need to go with what you like and desire.

That being said, I am sure many will chime in to help you decide...

Care to tell us exactly what is in there? Maybe even post a full tank shot. Give us a list of the strains and number of fish etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Inky,

Obviously this is a very personal decision and you really need to go with what you like and desire.

That being said, I am sure many will chime in to help you decide...

Care to tell us exactly what is in there? Maybe even post a full tank shot. Give us a list of the strains and number of fish etc.
    JiDaYc3.jpg

Hey Phil, here's a better full shot. Currently stocking 2 pigeons, 2 lepoard s/s, a marlboro red, and a yellow. Surely it's subjective question - I'm simply hoping to explore on various member suggestions that I may not be accounting for. As the tank stands, I feel the current combination is too all over the place. Looking for suggestions that can really pull the group together, if that makes sense.

Real Name
    Steve

If it were me, I would stay with red or yellow pigeon base fish. A tank with either all red or all blue looks better than mixing colors IMHO.
    If you start adding blues now, you will get that Easter egg basket effect. Some people like that but I never thought it was very appealing.
    Nice group you got there, BTW.

Real Name
    Phil

Sure, it totally makes sense...

The yellow for me really throws it off a bit, I am kinda an even number dude, I like things in 2's and 4's so for starters if it were me I may add another yellow to balance that. Then I would stick with the red motif... If you toss a blue in its going to really add to the rainbow effect which already seems to be annoying you...

I may go a more solid red, like say some red covers or one of those cooler deeper red variety... Then you will go from solid red to the lighter red of the marlboro on to the speckled spotted variety of the pigeons and then your bright A$$ YELLOWS!!! lol

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Obviously it is a personal choice, but I would first get a partner for your Golden Melon. She looks so lonely in there. And then two Snow Whites (White Diamonds) would tie it together without detracting from the red theme. Just a thought.
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Quote Originally Posted by smsimcik View Post
    If it were me, I would stay with red or yellow pigeon base fish. A tank with either all red or all blue looks better than mixing colors IMHO.
    If you start adding blues now, you will get that Easter egg basket effect. Some people like that but I never thought it was very appealing.
    Nice group you got there, BTW.
    I'm with ya. And thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Sure, it totally makes sense...

The yellow for me really throws it off a bit, I am kinda an even number dude, I like things in 2's and 4's so for starters if it were me I may add another yellow to balance that. Then I would stick with the red motif... If you toss a blue in its going to really add to the rainbow effect which already seems to be annoying you...

I may go a more solid red, like say some red covers or one of those cooler deeper red variety... Then you will go from solid red to the lighter red of the marlboro on to the speckled spotted variety of the pigeons and then your bright A$$ YELLOWS!!! lol
    Lol, good input. Sadly, he doesn't just stand out by color either, but his agressive personality reigns dominant over the tank as well. Blending in he will not, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoDiscus View Post
    Obviously it is a personal choice, but I would first get a partner for your Golden Melon. She looks so lonely in there. And then two Snow Whites (White Diamonds) would tie it together without detracting from the red theme. Just a thought.
    I may have to stop by when your shipment clears qt. If the fish look spectacular, it's because most are from Chicago Discus after all!
    Last edited by lnky; 12-06-2017 at 02:05 PM.

Registered Member

Blue diamond, albino butterfly, and blue turq.

Granted, I'm tasteless trash who just wants a tank full of rainbow pancakes, haha. If you want to stick more to a color theme, the above suggestions are good. But if you love rainbows... get some blue or blue-greens and another white or yellow! =D

Real Name
    Willie

Very nice quality discus you have there. I also like the barebottom and cleanliness. I would vote for reds. You'll want to stay with pigeon blood types, so that any pairing - except with the spotted - can produce high quality spawn.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

2 more yellow, 1 more red, odd numbers look better

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    2 more yellow, 1 more red, odd numbers look better
    Alright that is scary. I was going to say the exact same thing.
    -Elliot